Addition of a Trolling Motor on 23DVCC

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windknotnc

Reaction score
I am sure this topic has been floated by but was hoping there is some newer feedback. We do a lot of bottom fishing and deep dropping and are very interested in putting a bow mount trolling motor on my 23DVCC. I removed the bow rails some time ago so that's not an issue. I don't think the actual install and wiring are going to be too problematic either. My question is mainly what length shaft will do the job? Minn Kota has the 87" Terrova 112# out now and I know it would work. Would the 72" shaft work just as well? Has anyone installed one on their bow? I may consider the Rhodan 84" if I can't get a "close to dealer cost" on the Minn Kota. Any pics would be great.

I don't know the exact dimensions on the 23DV, but I have a 25SE with an 84" Rhodan. In protected waters, I have about 12" of shaft sticking up. On rougher days in the ocean, I pretty much have it hubbed to the base. Parker's tend to have a lot of freeboard, and I am always amazed how big they look at the dock next to some of the other production boats of similar stated length. My guess is that you might be able to get away with a 72" if you are only using it in very protected waters. If your plan is to use it in the ocean for spot-lock, get the longer shaft. If it ends up being too big, they are pretty easy to cut to size.

My guess is that you might be able to get away with a 72" if you are only using it in very protected waters

Yea......Do you want to buy it twice?.......Or be satisfied with the short one, when it doesn't do the job?

I am pretty sure the 72" is not going to do what I want it to do so now I am looking for the best deal on either the Rhodan 84" or Minn Kota 87". Anyone got a hookup?

Pulled the trigger on an 87" Terrova. Now I just need a good plan to pull a pair of 2 AWG wires from the bow cap to the center console. Anyone done this and know the best route?

Now I just need a good plan to pull a pair of 2 AWG wires from the bow cap to the center console.

Say What? 24 V or 36V?

I've run 4ga on a personal boat and that is Overkill......Yea I sometimes do Overkill to get a warm and Fuzzy feeling. In this case No or extremely low less than 3% Voltage drop.

2ga is Ridiculous! Is that a Typo?

The Standard is 6ga.

Unless you have a Blazer Bay that the factory installs 8ga. :(

36v pulls 52 amps. I honestly meant to order 4 AWG but clicked 2 AWG. I will likely just order the correct wire but I really need to know how much to get. A local shop here in eastern NC runs the wire under the gunwall all the way to the transom then pulls it through the chase into the console. Takes about 60'. There has to be a shorter run.

On my 1801 I ran the wire from the console (where trolling batteries are located)forward to the fuel tank inspection plate (between console and bow). From there I ran it up the fuel line race to the inside of the washboard. Next step was to run it under the gunnel towards the bow. Then mounted a plug on the front washboard (for lack of a better term) that leads to the bow deck. I believe the we Se and DV are laid out very similar to the 1801. I chose this method after a discussion with a tech at Parker. This run is significantly shorter than running all the way to the stern and then back to the bow. I probably used around 18 ft of wire.

New member here. I am surprised you think the 72" will be too short. I just purchased a 21DV CC and was planning on installing a 60 " I currently own until I get around to buying the 72". Would only expect the 60" to work in the back bays but was hoping the 72" would be long enough for the ocean wrecks and reefs. I would like to stick with a 24V system. I think the 23 DV just might be a 21DV stretched?

Also, the dealer I purchased from recommended not running the wire in the fuel fill line chase. I dont see the issue with running the wire this way and was surprised to hear this.

I would love to see how you mounted the motor on the bow.

Hammer

Parker advised me to run the wire up the fuel race...just said to be sure to use high quality duplex marine wire...6 gauge. Ancor was the suggested wire brand...it appears to have a high quality insulation.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• 20190507_093131.jpg
    20190507_093131.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 336
Thanks for the insight inshore chaser. This is probably how I will run mine also.

I see you are in Buena, I am right up the road in in Turnersville.

Can some of you post pick of where you placed your batteries and charger? My TM and all accessories was delivered today so hopefully next weekend will be install day.

Best pictures I have...charger and batteries located in console. Remember to vent console....I placed vents on each side of the console.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• 20190507_093341.jpg
    20190507_093341.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 291
  • 20190507_093330.jpg
    20190507_093330.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 288
  • 20190507_093312.jpg
    20190507_093312.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 290
Well finished the install and got it all calibrated. Waiting for May 1 grouper season

Attachments

• 102AB1A2-4BB2-4653-BE03-58A092E48A8D.jpeg
    102AB1A2-4BB2-4653-BE03-58A092E48A8D.jpeg
    322.8 KB · Views: 253
Any pictures of battery/charger location? What are you doing in place of your navigation bow light? Would also love to know if you think the 72" shaft would have worked?

The bow clear is centered on my 21'which is presenting a problem.

I will take some pics of the battery and charger setup. They are in the front end of the console and the charger is mounted on the starboard side of the console. I have built a Star Board cover over the batteries so we can put bibs and clothes on top of them. I have ordered a set of Taco flush mount LED red & green Nav lights that will mount just above the run rail on either side. I don't think the 72" would work except on very calm water. The 87" is about 2' below the waterline.

Curious if the Parker 25SE has the pulpit, wher e do you store the batteries and was wiring a problem in any way? Thanks
sailphish":31tuluny said:
I don't know the exact dimensions on the 23DV, but I have a 25SE with an 84" Rhodan. In protected waters, I have about 12" of shaft sticking up. On rougher days in the ocean, I pretty much have it hubbed to the base. Parker's tend to have a lot of freeboard, and I am always amazed how big they look at the dock next to some of the other production boats of similar stated length. My guess is that you might be able to get away with a 72" if you are only using it in very protected waters. If your plan is to use it in the ocean for spot-lock, get the longer shaft. If it ends up being too big, they are pretty easy to cut to size.

Not sure what kind of difficulty you may have with a pulpit but you have to snake the wire from the bow to the hole where the fuel fill goes down and then fish it up into the console ir your bateries are going in there. I don't know where else you could put batteries without doing some cutting.

Planning a TM on a 2001 1801. Have already run a snake from the fuel inspection plate on floor, up the fuel fill casing to the underside of the gunnel. Next is to get from the under seat area (in front of the center console) where I plan to put the batteries, to the fuel inspection plate. Would like some suggestions on how to do that. Will I have to put a hole in the floor (in that under-seat area)? Thanks in advance for any advice. Regards.

Back