Additional battery or not?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonas grumby

Reaction score
I have an '07 1801 that has the original battery. I "exercize" it on trickle charge when not in use and have never had a problem with it but I know time is drawing near for replacement. Since I have a selector switch, I can add a battery for ~$200 (tray, wires, lugs, no core) or just replace mine for ~$100. It is an Interstate 29 which is made by Johnson Controls which makes the WalMart batteries. My concern is not really the cost, it is the additional weight in the transom. Any thoughts as to feasibility of going either way are appreciated.

Just one opinion, but I ran 18 to 22' boats for years with single OBs and single batteries and I never felt the need to add a 2nd battery. I also neever had an issue either, but I am religious about keeping it clean AND topped off with fluid. DEFINITELY check wet cells in the heat of Summer.

Interstate and Royal are 2 of the best brands going! I myself use twin dual-purpose batteries from Wal-Mart, as they too are made by Johnson Controls, who also own Optima, a leading gel cell brand battery.

DaleH":1darsacn said:
they too are made by Johnson Controls, who also own Optima, a leading gel cell brand battery.

Optima is not a gel cell... it's an absorbed glass mat or 'AGM' design.
But I know what you meant. :lol:

Thanks for the input. I believe merely replacing w/ a Wally-World battery will be the way ahead for me. Hopefully with proper care, it will last as long as the current battery!

A '07 battery? You have been on borrowed time for a while. :) That battery is 6yrs old.

Actually 6 1/2years, I bought the boat new in the fall of '06! I don't put alot of strain on it, the only elex I have is a 68C Lowrance and VHF radio.

I believe in two of everything important - batterys, compasses, radio's. I can get by without all the other stuff if those three things work.
Dave

i always had two batteries, but that may be just me. in my last boat, a key west 20'er. i got 5 years out of both batteries using a trickle charger. I swear by them now. i use a solar powered trickle that keeps both topped off. If i went with only 1 battery, then i would keep a jump box on board just in case.
best of luck.
Chris.

I used to carry a jumper box...which occasionally needed to be charged. Then it dawned on me - there's a tiny battery in that box, why not just get a battery that's the size of the jumper box and permanently mount it in the boat with an ACR? So I did. Only one time did I need that extra battery to start the outboard and it wasn't an emergency, but that second battery was always a comfort.

Latest posts

Back