Advice for Hells Gate

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Themis

Reaction score
I am helping my brother in law move his 35ft sailboat from Perth Amboy to Larchmont on September 4th. His diesel will move his boat at 6 knots. I think it is important that, for the rough current areas..... ie Hells Gate, that we hit the tide right. Can I ask some advice?

1) Is Hells Gate the toughest current, ie our weak link?

2) Saltwatertides.com shows high tide at Hells Gate at 3:14. Am I reading the chart correctly?

3) Do we want to time the passage as to hit Hells Gate between 2:40 and 3:40pm?

Any other advice?

Thanks!

Sal, I just came through there last week on my trip to Port Washington. By chance I hit the tides right, 2.5hrs after low coming up, and 2 hrs. after high coming down. It wasn't as bad as I had heard, as long as you were not in a 12' row boat. You want to stay on the west side of Roosevelt Island. There is a fixed bridge on the east side. If you have any questions, PM me and I'll give you my phone number. Have fun!

I think you want to look at the current (water flow) as opposed to tide (water height). My current prediction program shows the following for September 4 , 2008 at Hells Gate.

Slack Water Before Ebb: 1:47 AM
Max Ebb: 4:28 AM Direction 230 Deg 4.4 kt
Slack Water Before Flood: 7:50 AM,
Max Flood: 10:53 AM Direction 50 Deg 3.4 kt
Slack Water Before EBB: 2:03 PM
Max EBB: 4:48 PM Direction 230 Deg 4.4 kt
Slack Water Before Flood: 8:16 PM

I hope this helps.

Miss Mattie gave you the info you need. Current is more important than tide, when fishing or transiting. :wink:

Document your passage and post it so we can see how it went for you! :)

Interesting ...

Did any of you ever hear about the 'Rules of 12s' when talking tidal currents? The concept for diurnal tides goes like this:

1st hour - 1/12th of the water flows
2nd hour - 2/12ths (1/6th) of the water flows
3rd hour - 3/12ths (1/4th) of the water flows
4th hour - 3/12ths (1/4th) of the water flows
5th hour - 2/12ths (1/6th) of the water flows
6th hour - 1/12th of the water flows

If you look at what was presented, the fastest current works out to be just about 3-hours, +/- 15-minutes or so from the preceding 'slack' tide. I always use the Rules of 12s and it hasn't failed me yet :D !

Get an eldridge at shows all the currents at every hour every day. they come out every year they cost 12 bucks send me a message if you ned help goodfriend of mine is a sailor and has done hells gate in as small ass a 25 foot boat with a little outboard he is good.

Image-44B0DAA35F3211DC.jpg

Image-44B106255F3211DC.jpg

Kevin,

I remember you doing that delivery, and loved the pics. I knew this would be a great place to ask. Dale I like that rule of twelfths.....

I'm glad that i remembered to take lots of photos. Sometimes I forget. :)

Some pics......
Easy day. By the way the picture of the waterfall under the Brooklyn Bridge is controversial now, as it is prematurely making all the trees in the area lose their leaves... Anywho...

DSC05439.jpg

DSC05441.jpg

DSC05446.jpg

DSC05449.jpg

DSC05451.jpg

DSC05461.jpg

Well i will tell you those waterfalls are useless,Kevin there are 5 of them here now i went to see them about 3 weeks ago the only nice 1 is the 1 under the bridge cause it has the rock bridge supports in background,the others are just pipe scaffolding and look so stupid,but i was the jerk that used my gas to go see them!!!HaHaHa and you can see them when your driving on highway and you know what that means people go slow to look and cause traffic jams like crazy!!!! Oh yea another thing about 4 weeks ago there were some jerks in kayaks that got to close to them there boats filled up fliped over and the FDNY/NYPD had to do water rescue for 4 of these clowns all in same day and time!!!Now they have at 2 of the waterfalls coast guard boats and at 1 they have FireBoat and at other 2 there are 25ft Parker 2520 what a gig that is for all sit fish and sleep!!!Got to love the Big City!!!Hope you enjoy story

Back