Advice for pulling a Volvo Penta 5.7 with rusty oil pan

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Island Dreamer

Reaction score
I found oil in my bilge and reached under to feel where it might be coming from. I had heard about the dreaded rust blisters that can form on the oil pan and found one. I'll do one more check to make sure the leak isn't from the dipstick gasket, but I could use some advice on how to pull the engine. I'll have access to a forklift so that solves a major issue. I'll add my question below. Even if you can only answer one, I'd be very grateful!

1) I see two forward motor mounts and two rear resting mounts. Assuming I've disconnected everything else that should come off, what do I disconnect at the back? I'll have about 6-8 inches forward travel to slide the engine forward. Is it the bell housing that I will disconnect? I've searched a few forums and think there is more than one way to disconnect the motor at the back. Does the outdrive always have to come off or is that figured out with how much room I have to slide the engine forward?

2) Once it's pulled, what other maintenance items should I tackle? Bearings or gaskets? Any gaskets on the inside transom where the outdrive mounts? I'd like to replace anything easy and relatively inexpensive.

3) Front motor mounts look rusty and I should probably change them while out. Will this trigger an alignment even if I am careful with setting the same heights?

I know all you folks are all outboard guys but there has to be a few V8 guys lurking here somewhere!

How old is the engine? That determines how much you want to spend on it. Not sure about how much room it takes...

Definitely replace all the engine mounts. And yes you will need to do an alignment.

If this is an old engine and you plan to keep it a while, replace all the fuel hoses. Replace any accessories that you can't reach when the engine is in the boat. Starter, oil pressure sewer, etc.

And by now you are probably wondering if you should just install a new/rebuilt long block..... Again that depends on your long term plans for the boat.

Back