Advice Needed - Removing Rusted Screws from Door Frame

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpg1969

Reaction score
Guys,
I've documented the upgrades to my 2002 2520 MVSC in the projects forum. Another thing we've been tackling is the replacement of the rusting hardware in the cabin including the screws around the door frame. All but about 5 I can remove no problem. I don't have a pic handy but basically the screw head going into the plastic trim on those remaining 5 is corroded to the point where's there's no Philips slot left. Any ideas of how I can remove them without damaging the plastic trim? Thanks in advance.

The trick that has worked most often for me is a Dremel tool with a thin cutoff wheel. After I try to get the screw out (usually a Phillips head) and it gets stripped I then take the thin cutoff wheel and make a single cut through the middle of the head turning it into a flathead screw. Many times I can get a better grip with this and it comes out. If that doesn't work I use the Dremel with a small cone shaped stone and grind out the center of the head until it comes off and see if I can grab the shank with a pair of vice grips.

I love a Dremel tool!!!

Steve

Back