Aft key switch

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boat25

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions on installing second start switch on second station. Wiring ? Cut into the 10 conductor that runs back to the outboard or run the wiring up to the other forward key switch and splice it in ? Also looking for used helm only teleflex type seastar.

Run to the MAIN helm switch, do not cut into the harness. I believe you want to connect to the 2 'M' or magneto contacts ... but I'll have to double-check my OEM manual.

boat25":17radw0a said:
Any suggestions on installing second start switch on second station. Wiring ? Cut into the 10 conductor that runs back to the outboard or run the wiring up to the other forward key switch and splice it in ? Also looking for used helm only teleflex type seastar.

I use momentary push buttons to start and stop. The main key switch is the Master switch. Run 4 wires to the main switch do not cut the harness you will be asking for trouble. Check switch wiring.

Start button wired too ignition hot and start.

Stop button wired too ground and stop.

The main key will have to be on (ignition) and then you can start and stop from the rear. Simple and inexpensive.

You can wire a separate key switch parallel to the front as an alternative but more complicated and expensive. If you post the pin out on your key switch I will tell you where to wire it.

You may want to consider a "Kill" switch in addition to the start and stop switch, one with the lanyard. Mine from the factory was wired incorrectly, I found this out while trouble shooting another problem and corrected it.

Good thing I didn't find it the hard way!

Kendall

You may want to consider a "Kill" switch in addition to the start and stop switch, one with the lanyard. Mine from the factory was wired incorrectly, I found this out while trouble shooting another problem and corrected it.

Good thing I didn't find it the hard way!

Kendall

boat25":15gh37p8 said:
I have the Yamaha panel with start & kill switch. Was going to wire right to the back of the cabin switch , but that seems sloppy and kinda hard to reach.

My rear station came from a 25 C-Hawk, and when I got it, all it had on it was a safety lanyard kill switch.
I have since added a stop and a start button to make it more functional.

Image-C091835C0FE011DC.jpg

Never thought much about it before, but discovered the unmarked kill and start buttons were confusing to my crew, so now I have them marked START and STOP. :D

I plan to add an Autotether wireless lanyard to the rear safety switch this winter as the lanyard on that thing is so short it is useless.
http://www.byownerelectronics.com/store ... t=0&page=1

Megabyte":39xktv6j said:
Never thought much about it before, but discovered the unmarked kill and start buttons were confusing to my crew, so now I have them marked START and STOP. :D

I solved that by using a black cap for START and a red cap for STOP, i.e., as in a red stop light.

Good info by maxout posted here too :) !

DaleH":1zwwiqlf said:
Megabyte":1zwwiqlf said:

I solved that by using a black cap for START and a red cap for STOP, i.e., as in a red stop light. I have the same set up. Would be nice to have a green for start.Green - Go , Red - Stop Have you seen a green cap? Mine are getting faded after 1 year and starting to annoy me.
Good info by maxout posted here too :) !
Thank You.

No I haven't seen Green covers...but, The pushbutton switches are ColeHersee and the only source I found for the red cover is Lewis marine http://www.lewismarine.com/ . The ferry boat I work on, has Cummins remote panels in the engine rooms and Black for START and Red for SHUT DOWN seems to be normal. I think the red cover was $2 when I bought it From Lewis in June.

HM5":1dgjxg2y said:
No I haven't seen Green covers...but, The pushbutton switches are ColeHersee and the only source I found for the red cover is Lewis marine http://www.lewismarine.com/ . The ferry boat I work on, has Cummins remote panels in the engine rooms and Black for START and Red for SHUT DOWN seems to be normal. I think the red cover was $2 when I bought it From Lewis in June.

Thanks, I will check with them. Mine say Start & Stop right on them.

I used two 1.5" ss fender washers, drilled a 5/8" hole in the center, painted one green and one red. Then I installed the washers under the switch caps. Both of my caps are black. Works great, at a glance I see green for go and red for stop.

Dennis C":33rk4927 said:
I used two 1.5" ss fender washers, drilled a 5/8" hole in the center, painted one green and one red. Then I installed the washers under the switch caps. Both of my caps are black. Works great, at a glance I see green for go and red for stop.
Now THAT type of slick idea is what makes sharing ideas on CP so great! Neat tip!

DaleH":2vy9m79f said:
Now THAT type of slick idea is what makes sharing ideas on CP so great! Neat tip!

I agree. Another winter project to add to the 'list'. :)

Back