Airman Transducers Placement

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can go to Airmar's site, pick out a shoot thru, thru hull, or shoot thru hull ( :D ) and look at complete installation guide for anything they make.

Try www. Airmar.com, if not Google.

The reason I got confused on the Airmar shoot through is because of a post I saw in another thread. The attached post suggests ( I think ) cutting into the wood to seat the puck. You guys are suggesgting ( I think ), mounting it off to the side and "angling" it down. Airmar says their models will NOT shoot through any barrier other than fbrglass.

I actually did call Jim at BOE and bought the Furuno fishfinder he recommended and he just told me to use the transom mount one made for the Furuno.

But, I value the expertise in this forum and thought I should be doing something else.

See text of previous post. I think it was from GrouperJim. Not sure.

"Most people don't realize it, but one of the most unique features and benefits of the DV 23 hull is the flat pad at the rear section of the keel. That pad actually provides excellent lift at the stern and greater efficiency/speed through the water. Also, it is absolutely the best place to put your transducer. I've done 5 boats now, and while cruising at 35 mph you are able see individual grouper on the bottom in 100 plus deep water chasing bait pods. You can do it with any type of hockey puck or transom type. Just cut it into the the starboard forward corner one inch from the edge of the small piece of plywood that is glassed in back there. After cutting through the plywood dremmel/rotozip down 1/4 inch into the clean glass making a perfectly fitting and smooth tray for the transducer. Seal off the air pocket that is under the plywood with 5200. Let set. Wipe the clean glass with some Styrene and a non-lint cloth. Then fill the tray 1/3 of the way up with gelcoat or resin mixed real light with hardner. Lightly sand the transducer with some 800 wet or dry. Spill some gelcoat onto the face of the transducer and then wiggle it gently into the tray (already 1/3 full). Set a 5 lb dive weight on top of the transducer, hang a drop light in the bilge, close the lid and let it bake for 24 hrs. It will be the best sonar presentation at any speed that you have ever seen. ONLY on a Parker. Its magic."

That'll work fine. Re-read the "Grouper's" post.

"After cutting thru the wood..."

PM me and I will come over and take a look at your boat.

Also realize that the the 2520 xl is a 16 degree hull and does not have the external flat (pad) area of fiberglass at the stern like the 23 DV. If you compare photos of Megabyte's bilge and mine, you can see that the plywood on the INSIDE is centered on the keel and parallel to the water (0 degree angle) on my boat, and offset to port on Megabyte's at a 16 degree angle. To shoot thru the hull, you need to overcome the 16 angle. The Airmar puck is designed to do that. However, I have not done any other boats but the 23 hull which is very simple to do being that everything is already flat.

The puck will need to be installed forward about the same distance and off to starboard of center line, and forward and away from the raw water pick-up.

FYI: I have been on many boats with "professionally" installed transom mount transducers, and have not seen one yet that works well when on plane. But, I do see where some people say that their transom mounts work well. Have not seen it myself yet.

jim

grouperjim":3b0betbt said:
PM me and I will come over and take a look at your boat. jim

Wow. What a neighborly offer!

I might take you up on that. I'll provide the beer (after the install so we don't wind up picking up seagulls on the sonar) :p

Back