AIS Systems

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Tom. I'm confused.....how do you see this as an alternative to radar? How is an AIS system going to pick up crab pots, a flock of birds, boats without an AIS system?

If a boat is not broadcasting AIS you can't see it.

I do not know anything about these units, that is why I threw this out there. Any reading material does not specify that the other vessel in question needs to have a transponder also.
Your information is indeed helpful. I do run radar on my boat and at first look I thought that it might make for a cheap redundant system.
Thanks for the info.

Tom

I used FLIR rotary and fixed wing in the Nav.

I want one so bad for the boat. Doesn't have the range or over the horizon capability of RADAR but is even better at spotting other things line of sight in the dark.

just waaaaay out of my price range. :cry:

grouperjim":12m9vmn4 said:
I used FLIR rotary and fixed wing in the Nav.

I want one so bad for the boat. Doesn't have the range or over the horizon capability of RADAR but is even better at spotting other things line of sight in the dark.

just waaaaay out of my price range. :cry:

man, i know, i want one of those things. but like you, 8K just isnt in the cards right now. cool thought though :wink:

AIS and radar are apples and oranges. As Hugs Tug mentioned AIS serves as a transponder that identifies a target on a radar but does not serve as radar. And, as far as I know, AIS is only required on commercial vessals

Ive operated AIS off the So Cal coast and the only targets I've ever picked up are commercial.

Any details on what the range of FLIR actually is and how, within that range, it compares with radar? I'm not so interested in finding birds, but at night seeing other boats, nav. features and especially crab pot floats, it might be great!

It can be a minefield out there!

Barry

The last string of poles for a fyke net that showed up on my radar did not have an AIS responder on them. :( :( :(

AIS only works if the other guy has one and it is responding. Fyke nets, bouys and pilings are not going to have AIS.

Use Radar for avoiding large objects at night and in limited visibility. I say large, because they won't see a crab pot float...you still run over those damn things with radar.

Dave

aka

Back