All-around light height - questions

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

350bake

Supporting Member
Reaction score
After seeing the nice job Megabyte did replacing his all-around light, I want to do the same. Despite the light working on my 36' foldiing base pole - the pole is corroded, the nut is stripped, loose and leans on the rod rack to remain upright.

My question: Does the all-around light have to be the highest point on the boat to be approved by the CG? Reason I ask, the radar arch is the highest point on my 2520 pilot house.
If the answer is 'no' it does not have to be the highest point, I will replace with the more prevalent 24 or30' folding height.
If the answer is 'yes' it must be, my second question would be does anyone know where I can get a 36' folding base light? The 36' plug poles are what I have found but not what I need. Also, I do not want to have to re-wire and add an extension to the radar arch - I want to avoid the cost, effort and time to do so.

Appreciate your input. Thanks, Larry

Your all around white light is supposed to be visible for 360 degrees.

That being said, most are obstructed by something or another.

Legal? No. Safe enough? Probably.

I believe the ColRegs requires a minimum recommended height differential of 3' between the red/green nav lights and the white all-around. As fas as folding light poles, I make them up ALL the time! There are 2 methods:

EASIEST: Find a section of 'broken' antenna mast, cut it down to the poitn where the ligjt pole slips in, glue to the light pole into that broken section - and voila! A secure, foldable, and removable light mast!

HARDER: Take a SS antenna mount and modify it to hold an aluminum light pole, drilling or milling counterbore into the SS ratchert base to hold the light mast. The base part of the aluminum pole is wrapped in duct tape (to insulate the aluminum from the SS) and then held in place by a set-screw that is drilled & tapped into the side of the base, making it removable or servicable. I also drill a hole, of course, for the light wires. With lights, ALWAYS leave enough slack in the wiring run hidden or tucked away somewhere to allow for future servicing, if ever needed.

I did this one for the 36" LED all-around light for my Parker off the toona tower, see this post for the pictures: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9056

Bryan 2530":3jyyqn05 said:
Your all around white light is supposed to be visible for 360 degrees.
That being said, most are obstructed by something or another.

Which is why I raised mine from 12" to 24".
My US flag was in the way with the pole at 12".
At 24", she is fine, but the fishing rods are still there.

The light I used is a 2 nm light. USCG regs for our boats require only a 1 nm light.
Even with my fishing poles in the rocket launchers, that 2 nm light is plenty bright.

Want it taller?
Easy fix.
Get some aluminum tubing and make your light as tall as you wish.

Hope this helps!

Guys - thanks for your replies. Very much appreciated. I am considering going with the brighter light at a standard height. If that does not seem to meet the need, at least I have the peices from a new light (base, light, bulb caps) that I could look into aluminum tubing to make it higher.

Thank you again!

Back