Anchor Rode Question

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jagibbs3

Reaction score
Using my windlass the other day for the first time, and the rode got bound up in the cleats of the windlass. ...my thought was the rode being of some age has swollen? Any other thoughts out there? Maybe a new line? Adjust compression of the cleats pulling and dispensing rode? Not real familiar with a windlass, and maybe there is a learning curve here. Any advice would be appreciated.

This is an '04 2510 and probably the original rode, but boat new to me.

Thanks...

put the rope in a 55gallon trash can, water and soak in some type of cloth softner, that will soften the rope and should help

What kind of windlass?

If its a Lewmar you almost have to use their rode to get it to work properly.

For even better results spring the cash for 8 plait.

the rode got bound up in the cleats of the windlass

That is called the "Gypsy" that contacts the rope and chain. Not enough drop.....IE: rope piled 'too high' in the anchor locker can cause this problem also.

100_5157_zpsc13e7e8b.jpg

Jagibbs3 save your self a lot of aggervation 8plait. I replaced my Lewmar 1yr old rope with rode from SecoSouth 30' chain 220' rode $240 shipped to Ohio will never use anything but 8 plait. I have a 2320 with Lewmar there rope is a PITA to put it mildy :lol: :D

Thanks to all who have responded, I will be home this weekend and will look into the possible remedies provided here.

Checked out my windlass this weekend, it is a Horizon 600 / Lewmar. They specifically say not to use the 8plait rode. I spoke with customer service and they suggested the washer was missing between the two cleats that pull the rode. However, the washer wasn't missing. So I am soaking the rode in fabric softener for the week, and will go through the machinations of getting it back in$%#@!&*. Any suggestions for putting back in would be greatly appreciated.

Back