Anchor weight for 2120

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheapie408

Reaction score
Boat came with I think a 14lb claw anchor, thinking about replacing it with a delta anchor, I only have 10 or 15 ft of chains, wonder if a 22lb delta is too much for a 2120

Chain can be more important than anchor. Rule of thumb would be minimum chain length = length of boat. Also the scope (how much rode you let out) is ideally 7:1. For example in 20 feet of water you would want to let out 140 feet of rode. You can get by with 5:1. With that said, what makes you think you need to change anything? Has your anchor dragged? Are you anchoring for fishing only? I used to cruise extensively and having a good setup of "ground tackle" was important. The last thing you want to happen is to start dragging in the middle of the night. You say your claw anchor is 14 pounds. An 11 pound Bruce claw anchor is good for a boat between 18 to 25 feet. In my opinion your anchor is good and if anything you want more chain and as much rode as possible so you get the scope. And as far as anchors go, I love either Rocna or Mason Supreme. They will grab immediately in most bed bottom types and hold like a rock.

I agree with Knotflying. On my 2120, I have 22 feet of chain and 300 feet of rode. I also have a claw anchor with no issues, so far.

Unfortunately, it's a PITA to add chains since I have a windlass. I actually wanted a delta anchor in attempt to solve the issue with my anchor not launching on its own.

https://www.classicparker.com/threa...-the-anchor-to-self-launch.21649/#post-148299
Your setup should be adequate Not saying you do this but people do not deploy nearly enough rode on the line You would be surprised how much little anchor you need if you have enough road out...so many people I see anchor never let enough line out
I have a claw 10kgs 16 ft Stainless chain
Although I do agree with having the same amount of chain as the length of boat I just don't happen to have that and I have had no problems

Unfortunately, it's a PITA to add chains since I have a windlass. I actually wanted a delta anchor in attempt to solve the issue with my anchor not launching on its own.

https://www.classicparker.com/threa...-the-anchor-to-self-launch.21649/#post-148299
As mentioned above, letting out more rode can compensate for less chain. However, you could remove the old chain and replace it with a longer chain. There are plenty of videos showing you how to weave the rode to the chain. The most difficult is 8 plait to weave. Depending on how old your rode is I would reverse it and use the bitter end that was tied inside the locker for the new rode to chain connection. Your other choice is to buy a premade longer chain and rode, which would be a better use of your money than a new anchor.

Cheapie, I take it you have read the anchor threads about this. The 14lb delta (mine) is a little too light to self launch. Solutions I have seen included bolting on a couple of large zincs, to adding a tilting lewmar fixture (180 bucks) or swapping a 22 pounder. I can't vouch for any of these. I do know that it is really close to self launching but not quite there, geometry/weight wise. I don't anchor many times per trip, so I just release a foot or two of chain, but not enough to free spool, walk up, disconnect safety lanyard and slide the anchor forward, then go back in the house or reach through the window with my foot and launch it. Nothing about it is convenient (if alone) because it is two trips to the bow, no matter what...lanyard release and cleating the rode after deployment.

Chain can be more important than anchor. Rule of thumb would be minimum chain length = length of boat. Also the scope (how much rode you let out) is ideally 7:1. For example in 20 feet of water you would want to let out 140 feet of rode. You can get by with 5:1. With that said, what makes you think you need to change anything? Has your anchor dragged? Are you anchoring for fishing only? I used to cruise extensively and having a good setup of "ground tackle" was important. The last thing you want to happen is to start dragging in the middle of the night. You say your claw anchor is 14 pounds. An 11 pound Bruce claw anchor is good for a boat between 18 to 25 feet. In my opinion your anchor is good and if anything you want more chain and as much rode as possible so you get the scope. And as far as anchors go, I love either Rocna or Mason Supreme. They will grab immediately in most bed bottom types and hold like a rock.
I go 2:1 with a 40 pound anchor that we hand launch. If it is windy and the current is up I will use a sixty but our purpose is to hold station at one end of a starting line. Parkers have a lot of profile up forward and like to move around in the current

Back