Another idea

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Matt

Reaction score
I realize this is exclusively a boating website but has any consideration been given to starting a seperate forum for off topic, non-boating issues?
------
For example, ideas for wedding anniversaries, home improvement methods or vacation destinations. I spend so much time browsing this site that I forgot all of the other sites I used to visit! Just thinking out loud guys.

Uncle Matt":8uo7a82x said:
I realize this is exclusively a boating website but has any consideration been given to starting a seperate forum for off topic, non-boating issues?
------
For example, ideas for wedding anniversaries, home improvement methods or vacation destinations. I spend so much time browsing this site that I forgot all of the other sites I used to visit! Just thinking out loud guys.

I'll open this up to all ... whaddya think?

My only reservation and concern would be that someone would post an off-topic, vulgar or politically-tainted post that would be devisive to the CP mission and an affront to our membership.

THT was ruined by this.

Now dont get me wrong, I am all for proper useage. I like answering questions about diving in St John, or investments, or the type of things Uncle Matt brings up. I also post the occasional joke or anti-Hildebeast point of view.

But invariably, these posts take over, and it becomes rightwinger vs lib, Rush vs CNN, whatever.

Maybe a cockpit section where explicit rules apply. No politics. No religion. No "agenda furthering". One warning and you are out.

I learned alot from some gents here, and would like to continue to do so for the mods I make to my boats.

Themis":1u3nrya1 said:
THT was ruined by this.

That's the reason I also quit THT, please keep it as is, it's relaxing to come here and just read all the pleasant postings and help that is offered here. No bickering and flame wars going on for pages at a time. Very clean and professionally monitored as it is.

My humble .02

Themis":34a68l6c said:
THT was ruined by this.

I agree. Keep it the way it is. If I want to go start a fight about the cost of fuel and whether or not the Democrats or the Republicans or the Oil Companies are to blame, I'll go to THT. CP is for pure 100% Parker ownership/maintenance/usage discussions. Occasionally, we'll let a guy talk about a non-Parker with a black motor, but for the most part, we should stick to mostly Parker boating issues.

Remember, this is ClassicParker and the ParkerNation and your on-line Parker Owner's Manual.

Dave

aka

I sure like the focus focus focus on Parker boats at this site. We cover the waterfront all over the country so our social/vacation interests and even our boating habits vary considerably. The common thread is our Parker fiberglass and associated motors, electronics, trailers, etc. This member, like you others, gets a ton of email now and this forum is readable at the current posting load for this bleary eyed surfer. Thanks for asking. ...............Pete

Before I found the CP site, I had to sift through tons of irrelevant infomation on the internet to find boating topics. Once locating this detail-dense source, I wouldn't look forward to further sifting throughout the CP site itself. I really like how I can hop onto CP, check for recent posts in my favorite 3 areas, and be done within minutes. It's a great wealth of pertinent knowledge and experience. Imagine buying a book that you sought out for specific subject matter, and having to scan ahead through chapters of unrelated info. I like CP for how it's laid out currently.

Although I am a new member this year, I hope my vote counts. I joined CP for a good reason, I like what goes on here, it seems there is a great bunch of guys with good attitudes and alot in common, PARKERS. I would hate to see the waters get muddied. Thanks Mike

Oddly enough, I find my involvement in a lot of forums not having to do with the actual basis of that forum. I spend a lot of time posting in the "Misc" sections where the topics vary greatly.

That being said, I like the fact that CP is strictly focused on boating related items. It's clear and easily broken down into appropriate sections.

I wouldn't mind maybe a section labled "General" that isn't necessarly focused on Parker. To cover more general boating items not specific to Parker boats. I am new to boating in general and learn a lot simply by reading other people's posts. So even general boating discussion has value to me even when it doesn't have anything to do with these specific boats.

Greetings:

Opening up CP to these subjects would dilute the focus of the site and turn it into another "social networking" fad. As for including "other" material in a "General" category, I think not.

CP is a great site, focused on owner interest; please keep it that way.

Regards

Dan

I agree with everyone else. Keep it the way it is. Every sight I vist that has this feature inevitability turns into a bunch of whiney school girls. If I want to argue politics and relegion and can just head down to the pub....

Brownie":2rdqnn0g said:
I agree with everyone else. Keep it the way it is. ....

I agree, I am new this year. I find this to be an excellent read each day.

If I want to argue politics, north vs south or who said what on television
than I'll head over to tht where you can waste almost a whole day off topic.

To Easy...I come here for Parker Data...I only care about Parker information. I do not want to sort thru other stuff. I have "search engines" to look up other things. What makes this site special is it's exclusivity.

danielb":1o4dvwtk said:
With the passsage of the new marital rights laws accross the country it will open up the web site to topics that are sensitive and to some offensive and I agree with those who feel that CP should be just what it is.
Suddenly CP will have the three no, no,s being posted politics, $$$ and religion. The moderators would be busy just scanning posts and putting out "fires". It is a fine self governing site that should be left alone to mature with time under the informed and educated eyes of the members and the Moderators. "We" have seen what can happen to a fine web site if is allowed to go off course.
I enjoy the site (when I can get onto it) and hope wisdom will prevail.

You're right - that's what everyone was thinking. The forum would go haywire because because, recently, NY held that dudes can tie the knot with dudes. Osama Bin Ladin's death, the Anthony trial, the NFL/NBA lockouts - we do not have to worry about the folder being taken over by any of those topics...we ONLY need to fret about guys marrying guys.

I'm just kidding with you DanielB, I just think there are about 50+ other relevant national/worldwide topics some of us would justify posting about, not just the dudes marrying dudes laws.

As for the "Misc" folder - I could care less, I will just choose not to read it unless I am terribly bored or looking for the worst thought-out, less "backed-up," and most illogical statements possible.

Mojo

Uncle Matt":11a49si6 said:
------

I am fine with the original idea, Should it become irrelevant or an issue then ban it
m2cw

I appreciate everyone's comments et al ... but I plan to keep CP focused as it currently operates. We have a good 'crew' here and many say it is their 1st & last stop on-line.

Get this ... the other day while on the water, I was stopped by a guy in an Eastern brand CC running a Honda 225hp 4-stroke OB. He said he had looked at Parkers, but got a deal on the Eastern that he just couldn't pass up. But he praised CP up and down and said the value of content and info on projects we discuss is top notch and while he has a different boat ... he still goes to our website every day. He even made a special point to thank me for the way the site is run ... so we must be doing something 'right'.

I thought that was pretty cool!

Back