Another Seastar helm tidbit

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grouperjim

Reaction score
My Seastar helm's warranty will be expiring soon so I wanted to make sure it was performing like it was new.

Recently, I could turn the wheel slowly without the engine turning. Cleaning the two check valves located on either side of the helm fixed the problem.

The other issue I was having was a minor one, but one I wanted to correct never the less. The issue was when trailering the boat, the engine would gradually flop over to one side instead staying upright where I left it.

After talking to Mark at Teleflex he described how to fix the issue.

Essentially, I had to remove the helm again from the dash (easy enough). Remove the two check valves, then stretch about an 1/8 of an inch the spring that controls the tension on the ballbearing.

I am happy to report the issue is resolved as the system will hold enough hydraulic pressure on each side to keep the engine stationary.

Attachments

• IMG_1009.jpg
    IMG_1009.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 2,439
  • IMG_1013.jpg
    IMG_1013.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 2,439
I always trailer with my motor against the stop rather than in the middle. There's no movement of the motor going down the road (= no activity of the steering system).

Can anyone suggest why this might not be a sound presumption?

for trailering that makes sense to me. my only issue would be at the ramp when the boat slides off the trailer. with the engine cocked to one side i would have to get up in the boat and straighten it prior to launch so the boat would launch true.

Back