Anybody have 12 x 24 trim tabs on a 2520xld ?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chas650r

Reaction score
So I have put off the tab upgrade long enough and I think I want to do the Lenco 12 x 24's but maybe that is overkill ? I have the stock? Lenco system and would use the control that exists w/ new blades and actuators. Anybody have this size now ? Any thoughts on Lenco in general?? Is bigger better , the 12 x 30's are the same $'s .................

So I have put off the tab upgrade long enough and I think I want to do the Lenco 12 x 24's but maybe that is overkill ? I have the stock? Lenco system and would use the control that exists w/ new blades and actuators. Anybody have this size now ? Any thoughts on Lenco in general?? Is bigger better , the 12 x 30's are the same $'s .................
Hi chas650r, our 2014 Parker 2520 XLD came with Lenco 12" X 20" #15170-001, trim tabs. (that's 12" port-to-stbd./left to right, and 20" fore-to-aft... aka, 'deep'... similar to other standard measurements for windows, doors, hatches, etc. Width X Height, or Width X Length). According to the papers that came with the boat, the 12" X 20" tabs were designed 'specifically' / 'custom' for the Parker 2520 XLD by the Parker engineers in conjunction with the Lenco engineers... I'll say that they work fine, and we've had zero issues with them. But, and this is a BIG BUTT (like my own ☺).... It makes more sense (engineering-wise) and for a number of other reasons, to me (and Warthog, and mpellet and many others!) to have wider, and less deep trim tabs. (24" X 12" for example).... In a way, the longer width-wise the better, with a reasonable 'depth' / length.... This is an opinion, shared by a lot of CP folks...

Thanks Andy and agreed. I have the same tabs you describe now on my 2012. Never did really understand why they are shaped like they are. Although my single 300 yamaha keeps the stern lighter than some other 2520xld's it always feels stern heavy and out of balance compared to older models w/ I/O's that I have spent lots of hrs on. It seems fast or slow , my boat is always best w/ a bit of tab. IMO This butt dragging attitude is exacerbated by the fuel tank being to far aft and or full. So my hope is I might get more lift for less drag w/ the bigger blades.

In the pacific northwest it's common to add hull extensions on both sides of the outboard to off set the weight of the motor , seems to work well. Maybe the big tabs will act the same once on plane.

Has anybody had prop ventilation issues with the tabs more inboard ? Maybe that was the thinking at Parker w/ the stock tab shape, especially w/ twins? I would love to try a pair of 12x30 but maybe it would upset water to the prop? Then again, maybe not, the prop is way back there and I dont see needing to deflect the tab very much.

Any and all input welcome.

Wider is Better! It needs less input to get the reaction and has less drag.
This has been discussed many times.

Can you just change the Tap plates ? Maybe......Maybe Not.

There are install instructions as to how far from the Chine they should be.

I've been a Bennett Fan for a LONG time. Bennett made Lenco a better company due to competition. Bennett had THE best warranty and were the #1 company in the marine industery hands down! They Had Tabman......Tabman had retired and still would help ya...I had his personal ph #. He's dead now.
Why are so many Lenco's installed from the factory? Because they install faster.

Unfortunately I will need to move the rams unless having the ram off center on the tab is ok , which I doubt. The rams themselves are the same model for all the sizes I am looking at so I can reuse them. As is the outboard edge of the tab is at the chine so I don't think i can go out any more with wider tabs.
As far as the different manufactures go I did see where Bennett has a " limited lifetime warranty" but when I called them it got very vague, so that combined with the existing control system being Lenco I will probably stay w/ them, but thanks for the info. At least both companies actually answered their phones!

Can anybody else tell me the exact package they have and what they think , good or bad?

thanks for the help.

Back