Anybody In Southern MD Know A Good Canvas Shop?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOut

Reaction score
I am back on the subject of getting a custom cover made for my 2520. The state shot down my new building plans and it looks like a cover is my last option. Anyone know of a good canvas shop they would recommend?? Thanks .

Porkchunker":2iswegu5 said:
I had a full cover made by "Canvas Connection" in Deale. A bit pricey, but very good work.

Dave

aka

Do you have a picture? That is one of the companies I am considering. If you do not mind me asking, How Much$$?

I had ALMO Products in Millersville make a custom console cover and leaning post cover for me several years ago. I have been happy with the covers. Their shop is not located in southern MD, but is a few miles south of BWI airport with quick access off of Rt 97.

I got a price from Custom Marine Canvas in Deal $4800.00. :shock: WOW. Needless to say I will be getting a few more prices. Canvas Connection is going to take a look at her today and give me another quote. They said it would be around $2000.00 - $2500.00. Mike Walsh @ Custom Marine Canvas has almost doubled any other estimate I have got. Business must be good. I guess I shouldn't have worn all my pimp gear when I met with him. 8) I'll let you know how things go. Thanks for the input.

I'll see if I can find a picture of the Diamond in full cover.

BTW, this is my second cover...both made by Canvas Connection. The first, made in 2002 cost about $1,500. It was a light weight high-tech material that the sun's UV rays broke down far too quickly. The second made in 2007 cost about $2,400. It is also a high-tech material, but something that is more resistant to the UV. The reason I have the cover is to keep the UV off the gelcoat. You have to consider the cover as"sacrificial" and assume it needs to be replaced every few years. Better that the cover get eaten by the sun rather than the boat.

Dave

aka

I want the cover to be made from Sunbrella. It is heavier and I have had good luck in the past with it. I had Sunbrella covers on my last boat that sat in the marina (no shade) and lasted 6 years before the thread rotted. I had it re-sewn and lasted until I sold the boat. It became less and less waterproof over time and had to be retreated but worked well for UV protection. Such a tough decision.....I will wait to see what Christine @ Canvas Connection has to say and go from there.

I can definitely tell you NOT to use Sandpiper (Sandpiper Marine Canvas, Inc.) in Shady Side. Ordered a set of rod holders in January and after being lied to time after time I finally lost it ....long story.......finally received the rod holders July 3 and was disappointed in the quality (probably thrown together to appease me because I left no doubt where this was heading during a conversation the previous week). He now has the rod holders back and my credit card company took care of the rest!!!

Capt. Jim":1q4pgsdd said:
I can definitely tell you NOT to use Sandpiper (Sandpiper Marine Canvas, Inc.) in Shady Side. Ordered a set of rod holders in January and after being lied to time after time I finally lost it ....long story.......finally received the rod holders July 3 and was disappointed in the quality (probably thrown together to appease me because I left no doubt where this was heading during a conversation the previous week). He now has the rod holders back and my credit card company took care of the rest!!!

Sandpiper Marine Canvas, Inc. Is the name that came up when I did the search For Canvas and is the same number as Custom Marine Canvas in Deal? Mike Walsh?

Max Out, I am not familiar with Custom Marine Canvas or Mike Walsh. I really don't want to throw stones but I will not hesitate to relate my experience to help you or others make an informed decision. I have sent you a PM.

Thanks. I agree I do not want to throw stones but never the less I will not be paying $4800.00 for a cover from Mike Walsh when I have quotes using the same material for $2400.00 from another reputable company. I am offended at his futile attempt to rip me off and feel people should be made aware. I will leave it at that. :wink:

believe me its worth the tow, grasonsville...kent island. go see Jack, he owns boat covers inc. in business 50+ years. most guides use him. tell i said to call, might help with your place in-line.

jack has one problem........he can talk, but will not answer a yes or know question. take your ideas and he will discuss. 410-827-4474

Back