Are Parker Boat Prices Over Inflated?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porcupine

Reaction score
I know asking this question is like smacking a bee hive and everyone is going to ring in on this question one way or the other. But, are the lowering prices of parkers only a sign of the slow economy? Or could it be the prices were over inflated in a good economy and are only now coming back in line to where they should have been all along? Parker is reported to have closed down production until the dealer's burn off some inventory. Some people would say it's good business management in a slowing economy. But, could it be an attempt to keep prices pumped up by lowering the available supply? (Aka price fixing) You have to be suspicious if you are buying and concerned about falling prices if you are selling. What does everyone think?

This post is completely out of line and more suited for a site with a less informed audience such as The Hull Truth. I find this very offensive as Parker has done everything possible to keep our product known for its quality and value. Price increases are inevidible. Vendors are constantly passing through increases and if you are not familiar with manufacturing a product, then you would not have a feel for the overhead involved with running an operation and how each component is involved pricing.

We would love nothing more than to offer the boats at what they cost 10 years ago but when you stop and look at the big picture what item anywhere has not had an increase?

As for your claim of price fixing, erroneous! Erroneous on all counts!! Do you realize that price fixing is illegal? Why would we put our family business, our employees and their families in jeopardy? We have a responsibility to our employees and our dealer network to keep the company healthy and the doors open so they can provide for their families.

Contrary to this uniformed post we are still manufacturing product Monday through Friday. Production may not be to full capacity however that is due to the economy not this myth that Parker is doing so to keep prices at a level that you think we are setting.

So yes, you smacked the bee hive and the Queen Bee is responding.

Well said BoatGirl.

Porcupine you may want to tread lightly here. Many of us belong and contribute here because it is not The Hull Truth. With your 6th post you've managed to cause a stir. Be careful and make sure you know the facts before posting next time. :D

Thank you for your reply to the post Boat girl. I realized that the post would be controversial prior to posting it and it was directed intentionally to this audience because they are so well informed. I think if you go over the post again you will see that no “claims” were made. Rather a question was asked and left for open intelligent debate.
I am glad to hear however that parker is sill manufacturing even if it is at a reduced capacity.

No way is it price fixing. Basic business, supply, demand, and competition.

In the market, whats it worth? What someone is willing to pay in the end. Lots of inventory - no demand, cut production to a level that removes the inventory, keep as many people employed as possible.

What I love about the free market in this case is that there is plenty of competition out there. If enough consumers do not think the product is a fair value at it's selling price, the manufacturer will either have to adapt/improve or go out of business.

BTW, Love my new but used 2520. Although I could use some lessons on docking her without a 2cd station.

Porcupine - This is a family run business, not a corporate titan. If you had ever met any of the family who are involved in this enterprise, you would never have posted your "inquiry" because you would have already known the answer...

porcupine":2jxwn479 said:
..this is going to be like smacking a bee hive...

PS: How's it feel to catch one from the Queen Bee?

Closed down production? Where was this reported? THT? There is a ton of mis-information on that site. I don't put much stock in what I read there anyway.

There were fewer hulls on the floor when I was there a couple of weeks ago, compared to late April, but there was gel coat and glass still being sprayed into the molds. Check my pics for proof. There is obviously still a demand for product, albeit a greatly reduced demand. It is to their credit that Parker continues to produce boats and keep as many of their work force employed as possible.

Some companies operate on a razor thin margin and cut their costs by reducing quality to the minimum needed to make a sale, hoping for volume to be their saving grace. Many of these vendors and manufacturers will be the ones to close their doors, some for good. Companies that have honestly priced their product based on material costs, labor, etc. and are consistent in their approach to quality construction have little option but to continue down that road and hope that demand does not dry up.

It is a stressful time economically and I do not fault anyone for being defensive about their livelihood. By the same token there is also a lot of consumer angst about the bottom line which tends to reinforce speculation that manufacturers and dealers are using the financial crisis to manipulate buyers. I'm sure it happens, even in the boating industry, but does Parker actively engage in this? I would hope not. On the other hand, if the customer is happy with the perceived value then is there really a problem?

There are those on the internet that believe boats should be marketed in a mass produced "WalMart" type of environment and the cost savings passed to the consumer. Fortunately my Parker is not a product of this mentality. I do buy things at the Wally-World type stores but when it comes to my boat I don't mind paying for a semi custom-made quality product made by a company that stands behind it. Each of us makes this decision before we part with our cash and it is not always easy.

If you are not sure you are getting the deal you want, STOP. Ask more questions, do more research and be sure there are no doubts before you sign. But I would be careful not to cast aspersions upon a reputable firm or to contribute to a rumor mill based on erroneous info.

I believe there may be a more tactful way to present your concerns without bashing the character of the business involved. I'm not sure why I weighed in on this but I guess I am partial to this particular brand after meeting and getting to know some of the folks involved in building and selling these wonderful craft... not to mention the network of friends who share this forum.

BoatGirl":3t6gcs97 said:
We have a responsibility to our employees and our dealer network to keep the company healthy and the doors open so they can provide for their families.

This is the part that most people just don't get with the instant satisfaction of the internet. I too work for a small business, and when customers call and complain about a price, or want a product repaired that was purchased from an online site, they forget that they a helping more than just the owner by purchasing through a dealer. So when you save 10 bucks by shopping at Amazon, don't complain when the local shop goes under. The dealer network is also a very good point, and one that my company strictly believes in. It helps maintain top notch customer service, as well as maintain the value of the product for those that made the investment. 8)

Parker is a well built boat for the money. I jumped on the deck of a 1989 2110 at the Annapolis Rendezvous yesterday and it was solid. She showed her age, but nothing some scrubbing and some buffing compound couldn't take care of. I've seen 2-3 year old boats from other manufacturers that couldn't hold a stick to that 1989 Parker.

Compared to a Grady, you get a whole lot more boat for a whole lot less money. I love my Parker and will buy another one (should I get permission from the Admiral).

Why come on here and cast unfounded accusations at Parker Marine and their dealers. If you wanted a Parker at a discount, there were some to be had. If you have been watching the economy and the many "boat for sale" lists on the Internet for the last year, you could have obtained a 1-3 year old Parker at bargain basement prices. Far too many people took on too much debt and had to shed their toys.

So...please take your uninformed mind and computer and go back to TheHullTruth.

Dave

aka

Porcupine,

It is clear that you knew your post was going to be highly controversial. It carries a negative tone and incendiary accusations. This community was developed and is maintained by many of the most loyal devotees of Parker Boats you will ever find. Its Mission is to provide a supportive, positive atmosphere where civil discussions can be held and members are engaged in helping each other enjoy their chosen brand of boat. If you were looking for a chorus of negative “me-too’s” from dissatisfied boat-owners, then you clearly have not spent any time reading the posts on ClassicParker.

We all share a respect for the quality of workmanship, integrity and value built into our Parkers. If you read through the Body of Knowledge captured here you will find hundreds of testimonials about how helpful the folks at the Parker Factory are, how they continuously strive to produce a high quality product and how they refuse to cut corners in production. Why would you ever consider rolling a grenade down the passageway of this site ?

If you joined ClassicParker with positive intent to share your experiences about how this craft performs, can be customized, and enjoyed then we welcome your participation. If, on the other hand, you have come to spread unfounded inflammatory innuendos, seeking negative feedback from the largest single collection of Parker owners on the planet, then you will fail.

John

I probably shouldnt respond to this thread but...

Ever price out how much a boat would cost if you built it yourself piece by piece? Then add labor with benefits (remember boats are hand made in most facilities and require a lot of man hours to build), insurance, building overhead, etc to all the pieces. Boats cost a lot more to build than most would imagine. I only started pricing out boats recently and dont know why anyone is in this business. It certainly is for the love of it. Profit margins are horrible compare to most industries out there (even in the good times) considering the amount of money invested. If a boat built with the quality of a Parker could be made for less and the company could remain profitable enough to stay in business than why arent many others doing it? It is the American way. (answer: they can't)

You are seeing a drop in some inventoried boat prices for dealers/builders to free up capital. Many dealers are carrying boats on floorplan financing and need to get it off the books to stay in business. Some dealers are at times even taking offers below costs. This doesnt mean that because prices have fallen in many areas that the original prices were over-inflated to begin with. It means that some arent turning a profit. Without profits you will eventually see many dealers and manufacturers go out of business (as you are seeing with many other brands out there).

Forunately Parkers have a good following and the earned reputation of a no-nonsense, high quality product. Their customer service is known to be good from the factory and the dealers that Parker chooses to represent them to the public . Because of this, there is still more of a market for the brand than many manufacturers out there. You may see even the Parker dealer network shrink some due to the economic recession hitting some areas of the country harder than others and some dealer buy backs will be shipped to more successful dealers at lower pricing. But, that too doesnt mean that prices were over inflated and that Parker has slowed production to keep prices higher. It still costs x amount of dollars to build a boat (actually more as material prices are increasing rapidly) and it makes financial sense to only build to keep up with demand. If Parker were to build at a faster rate than the demand then eventually they may be forced to sell off inventory at a price that isnt profitable to them to free up capital. Running a business like that is a sure way to run out of money.

With all that said, I believe the people at Parker have run a very successful business and they will continue to do so despite this period of economic downturn and do so continuing to make a quality product. Being privately held by the people who's name is on the side of their product, you know there is a pride in what goes out the door. Compared to many in the industry they are known for the value of the quality. (ever compare pricing to a Grady or Pursuit) IMHO, there are very few that stack up to the quality of Parker for the price. I say that out of respect and admiration for what they do and as someone who helps try to sell a some-what competing product on a part-time basis.

Bottom line is that You either can afford that level of quality in a new boat or you cannot... Yes there are about as good of deals as you will find out there right now. If it is a new Parker is what you want and it is within financial reach for you, I highly suggest you take full advantage of the deals you may be seeing now and BUY a boat! It may be your best opportunity to get the absolute best pricing on a new or used boat.

When I bought my 2510 in 1999, the brand was nearly unknown. For that reason it was great quality at a great value.

The boat came stripped. I had perhaps one of the first factory rigged yammies, it was a first for the dealer, 3A marine. The only options I had added were a hard top, compass and washdown pump. No wipers, no harness wrap on the motor rigging, no carpet interior, no built in coolers/live wells.

When I tied it up at the marina, evryone commented on the huge cockpit, single outboard and what a rugged looking boat it was.

Within 5 years(one of the best growth economies in history) there were Parkers ALL over the place and the cost to buy the same boat went up about 50% What were factiry options in 99 soon became std equipment.

That inflation was a combination of a good product building brand recognition when the home equity checks were flying. You can't blame Parker for that !

I bought my 21SE at the top of the market 18 months ago. Do I have any buyers remorse? Heck no! I wanted a good looking, well built boat that would be comparable to my Honda Accord V-6 - It starts when you turn the key, is made well and gives you little, if any trouble.

Every aspect of my dealings with Parker, through the aforementioned Boatgirl, and the dealer, Schraeder Yacht Sales here in Pt Pleasant, NJ have been first class. They both do exactly what they say they'll do, when they say they'll do it. What else can you ask for from people you do business with?

Could I have saved a few $$$ if I had waited before I bought? Sure, but then I wouldn't have had this great boat to use in the meantime. Life is too short to wait for a boat like a Parker!

My good buddy in South Florida had a Parker with an I/O diesel. This was in approx. 1992. He loved the boat. I did alot of diving and fishing off of that boat. Last year I bought a 2520. In large part due to the quality and design.

Here in So Cal, if you were to price a 26 Radon, that would cost about $150,000(maybe more). I could buy 2 Parkers for the price of a comparable Radon.

Parkers are a good deal.

danielb":1e7mbf8w said:
Why is everyone rising to the bait of this topic, porcupine did it to get attention, why not just let it die.
We know the value and quality of our boats.

Parkerman":1e7mbf8w said:
I agree with Danielb- let this one go........delete if at all possible.

I believe it to be a 'fair' question when ALL of us substitute the boat brand and insert ANY other boat brand out there. Inflation affects all of us.

I am all for free discussion and even CORDIAL debate. But my hackles surely rise fast when some disagree with others to the point they make personal attacks and/or accusations.

There is value in discussion and debate, even on a somewhat 'touchy' topic(s). I for one appreciate the input and insight that BoatGirl brought to this topic. Price is one thing, but you only pay for that once. Now - 'value' - that can be long lasting! And I believe the input and direct experience here from many CP'rs clearly demonstrates that. Buy a Parker and you will receive a product of lasting value.

I won't cover whether this was a good/bad post but the poster obviously does not understand what price fixing is. Price fixing is when a group of suppliers/manufacturers that have a very large percentage of the market collude to sell a commodity at a certain price thereby illegally hampering competition. Sometimes this is done by setting the price below market for a period of time to drive out competion before raising the price. Archer Daniels Midland got in big trouble for price fixing.

Parker is such a small part of the overall boating market it is laughable to even think they would be involved in price fixing. It is much more likely that the big manufacturers would collude to get rid of the smaller ones while times are tough. I don't think that is happening either.

Latest posts

Back