Are Sport Cabins hot in summer?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Boat

Reaction score
I am very interested in a 2120 SC but am concerned about the heat in the pilot house in the summer. I am in NC where temps and humidity are high. Please give me your input if you have one of these boats.

Have a 2520 and have not had any problem with heat.Expected to have to put a fan or the like but generally it is a nice respite from the outside heat and glare and obviously very comfortable when moving.I do have the drivers side window open which helps a lot -would not want a fixed one.You'll even see folks in Fl putting camper type A/C units on the roof for extreme conditions.

I have a 2120
Although I do live in Mass
I find I cruise around with the door closed " for sound of engine and talking and radio"
Both side windows 1/4 open
Front windows open at Low speeds and closed on plain
All in all have never felt hot all cold ....Love my sport cab
I feel once you have it I cant see going back to a center console or cuddy cab
And I have had both

I had a center console with a Bimini top and my 2120 SC is MUCH cooler. I'm in Virginia so I would imagine you are not much hotter than we are. It really is worth it in a january too!

Steve

I am in Florida and have another brand of cabinhouse boat. With opening front and side windows, out of the sun, it is as pleasant as you would want.

You would not believe how "not hot" they actually are! We live in Florida and purchased a 2520 last July and was suprised how cool it really is in the cabin even on the days there is no breeze. One would think it would be like a van or suv in the sun but it's not for some reason, it does seem to get warmer sitting on the trailer than in the water. We love the boat and would never have anything else!

We have a 2520 and when out on the water the heat has never been a problem with good air flow from open winows and door ,but @ the dock and staying on it for the weekend it get very warm. I installed a portable a/c unit in ours for back at the dock and close the door and run it for a couple hours and it stays arounr 68 even on the warmest nights.
DSCN2586.jpg

DSCN2581.jpg

DSCN2584.jpg

In the summer, at anchor, when the mosquitoes, greenheaded flys and no-seeums are out, YES! it can/does get hot, and pretending it doesn't, doesn't help...then again I'm a whimp.

jeffnick":1vvqfzfq said:
In the summer, at anchor, when the mosquitoes, greenheaded flys and no-seeums are out, YES! it can/does get hot, and pretending it doesn't, doesn't help...then again I'm a whimp.

WOW...... Yup you are a wimp ! In a manly way of course :)

Hey at least you can get inside with the window open with screens closed
Better then being trapped outside on a CC or WA
That is if you where running from them or something 8)

I worried about the pilot house being too hot when I moved my 2520XL to South Florida but I have found that the pilot house is usually the best place to be in the hot Florida summers. It is much cooler in the pilot house with less punishment from the intense sunlight we have here. It's also a big plus to be able to open the front windows while running - running the boat that way is actually a great escape from the heat. Personally, I would make sure that both front windows can open.
There is however a down side - when the pilot house is closed up (while the boat is stored) there will be humidity trapped inside that could lead to mildew and more rapid pitting of the aluminum. Linwood Parker recommended to me that I air condition the boat (mine is in a wet slip) or leave a fan running to circulate the air. I air conditioned the boat. If the boat is on a trailer, you could also just leave a window open.
Hope this helps!

The pilothouse is the coolest place on the boat.
Without the rear bulkhead, it stays even cooler. :)

web.jpg

I've got the 2120SC. Cabin heat has never been an issue. Like mentioned above. Open the windshield at low speeds and I keep the side windows open all the time. Plenty of ventilation. Often, I'm in the pilothouse when fishing in the hot NJ dog days of summer.

We put a RV A/C on roof of the pilothouse of the MD as we sleep aboard when she's on the trailer during trips. Runs off a Honda i2000 and cools the PH 20 degrees below outside temp. Also use it overnighting at anchor or at the marina. Its a god send to be able to close the boat up on hot nights to keep "barracuda" gnats on the outside. We also carry a heater that's powered by the Honda.

We usually don't use the A/C when running as open windows and door creates sufficient cool breeze. There's been occasions on the ICW in NC, SC, GA and FL we've run with it on, but its got to be pretty flat. Truth is, the older I get the better the investment that A/C looks to be.

I am going to be installing an air conditioning unit in my 2820XL will post pictures and let everyone know how it goes. Looking into a 9000 or 12000 BTU unit. will run with motors when running and a honda 2000 when anchored.

Attachments

• 224583_144046715676946_100002148553544_262402_7376747_n.jpg
    224583_144046715676946_100002148553544_262402_7376747_n.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 1,054
Well, I started the project for the A/C unit I'm going with a Wabasto 9000 BTU, should be more then enough. I first had to get shore power ridged and thats done. Know I'm getting ready for the A/C install. I will keep posting as I go.

NICE!!! this should be moved to projects thread.

Looking forward to following your progress!!!

Back