Are Sport Cabins hot in summer?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if your PH has the ventilating front windows then the house is the coolest place on the boat. One of the main reasons i traded my Parker CC for the PH was for more protection from the elements. In this case UV. With the windows open the house will provide roughly the same air flow as a CC, and will offer much more protection from reflected UV that comes off the water. i very rarely get sunburned since i bought the PH.

check out the video at the bottom of my sig pic. 94 degree FL summer heat and my 4 yo is sacked out in the front V-berth.

I have learned a few things along the way in doing this type of a project. It can get quite hot down here in South FL in the summer and Parker pilothouses are not particularly well insulated - so I would go with as powerful an AC unit as you can. I have a 16,000 BTU unit (that will run on a Honda 2000 generator) in mine and I can't say its too much. Adding cheap small household fans can really help the AC out in more efficiently cooling the pilothouse - once you add shore power, this becomes easy.
Rigging the water intake below the water line can also be difficult from the aft compartment to the AC unit (likely to be placed in the pilothouse) as the gas tank is in the way and sealed under the deck. You do not want to risk puncturing the tank! Putting the water intake hose above the water line puts it at risk of getting air in it at some point. If there is air in the line, the pump may not be able to pull it through to the AC unit and you will have to bleed the hose somehow.
Also, I had two Cal type water pumps fail as they have to work harder in a hot environment. I would invest in a MARCH pump as they are much more durable.
You will be very happy once it's done though!
Hope this helps. :D

drvan":1f70x0vj said:
I have learned a few things along the way in doing this type of a project. It can get quite hot down here in South FL in the summer and Parker pilothouses are not particularly well insulated - so I would go with as powerful an AC unit as you can. I have a 16,000 BTU unit (that will run on a Honda 2000 generator) in mine and I can't say its too much. Adding cheap small household fans can really help the AC out in more efficiently cooling the pilothouse - once you add shore power, this becomes easy.
Rigging the water intake below the water line can also be difficult from the aft compartment to the AC unit (likely to be placed in the pilothouse) as the gas tank is in the way and sealed under the deck. You do not want to risk puncturing the tank! Putting the water intake hose above the water line puts it at risk of getting air in it at some point. If there is air in the line, the pump may not be able to pull it through to the AC unit and you will have to bleed the hose somehow.
Also, I had two Cal type water pumps fail as they have to work harder in a hot environment. I would invest in a MARCH pump as they are much more durable.
You will be very happy once it's done though!
Hope this helps. :D

What brand A/C do you have, is it a marine a/c ? Your pushing 16000 BTU, plus a water pump with a honda 2000, now that I want to learn more about.

I have a 9000 BTU ( I guess I'll be hot) plus a 580 gph pump on a Honda 2000. If the cal goes out, I will be getting a march, I will let you know how it goes.

Don't forget to forward the brand and how about a picture or two of your install. :)

Attachments

• IMAG1570.jpg
    IMAG1570.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 79
Back