Armstrong Engine Bracket

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David

Reaction score
Have a 2005, 2510 walk around with twin 200 hpdi's. Noticed the paint around the welds on the bracket is failing. I an curious if it is from stress? Has any one experienced this? If so what process did you use to correct the defective paint?

Most probably it is due to poor cleanup and preparation of the WAZ (weld-affected zone). I would would strip back and apply an epoxy-based zinc chromate primer, then use the Armstrong topcoat. In fact I'd send them or your dealer pictures, as they may help!

But it also could be galvanic corrosion of the bracket, if not protected adequately with zinc anodes. The current would likely affect the weakest area, i.e., where the WAZ is, as that alloy's properties were changed due to the heat of the welding.

Also make sure the anode is in full contact with BARE aluminum of the bracket - not a painted surface. Also note if too many anodes are attached to a part for protection, that actually can be worse ...

Latest posts

Back