Auto Pilot Survey

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishPimp

Reaction score
I didnt want to hijack the Simrad post. I have been searching for information on autopilots here and it appears most are running the RM S1000. I am thinking about the simrad AP16 or furuno 511. A few are running the TR1 and that might be overkill for the FishPimp. I am interested in seeing your photos and hearing about your system.
It seems like many big boaters like the TR1 and simrad AP's. I have read that the TR1 pumps can be loud, yet can be dampened by mounting the pump on mud flaps. Are all pumps loud?
Real estate on my helm and in my console is at a premium. I dont want to skimp now and wish I had spent a little more to buy the right unit.
I am vearing away from the RM S1000 because with my luck it will fall out of the cradle and be lost at sea or broken, and its battery operated. I am preferring a hard wired instrument over a cradle.
This will be the last big electronic purchase for my ride and I want to explore all of my options.
What are you guys running?
What are the pros and cons?
ANd would you buy the same set up again?
Your recommendations are deeply valued.
Thanks
C

FishPimp":3fyzqlbs said:
I didnt want to hijack the Simrad post. I have been searching for information on autopilots here and it appears most are running the RM S1000. I am thinking about the simrad AP16 or furuno 511. A few are running the TR1 and that might be overkill for the FishPimp. I am interested in seeing your photos and hearing about your system.
It seems like many big boaters like the TR1 and simrad AP's. I have read that the TR1 pumps can be loud, yet can be dampened by mounting the pump on mud flaps. Are all pumps loud?
Real estate on my helm and in my console is at a premium. I dont want to skimp now and wish I had spent a little more to buy the right unit.
I am vearing away from the RM S1000 because with my luck it will fall out of the cradle and lost at sea or broken, and its battery operated. I am preferring a hard wired instrument over a cradle.
This will be the last big electronic purchase for my ride and I want to explore all of my options.
What are you guys running?
What are the pros and cons?
ANd would you buy the same set up again?
Your recommendations are deeply valued.
Thanks
C

I know you are looking for info on other units but I just wanted to point out if you get the RM-S1000 and have a C or E series RM display you can fully operate the S1000 in the autopilot control section on the display. I too was a little weary about the wireless remote going overboard ($399.00). But after purchasing it I have used the display to control the S-1000 from the front display and use the remote on the rear helm. The S-1000 remote fits snugly in the cradle and if knocked out it will fall in the cockpit. The autopilot menu needs to be activated in the display once the S-1000 unit is installed. As far as the pump I mounted it in the helm and it is noisy. I only hear it at trolling speeds but it hasn’t bothered me enough to resolve it.

I've got the Simrad and love it. I have Furuno electronics and almost went with a Furuno auto pilot but liked the thought of the virtual feedback instead of running something back to the engines. It works awesome, couldn't be happier. The best part of the AP is that you don't feel worn out at the end of the day. I routinely travel 40-60 miles offshore and having "someone else" drive is much less tiresome. Worth the investment if you go offshore regularily. Randy.

Have you checked the Ray Marine Web Site? You can down load the S1000 "User Manual" and the "Installation Manual". You can learn from the User Manual, i.e. S1000 has several different models of boats it has different variables, i.e. sailboat, cruiser, fishing. I use the fishing and it has several different patterns built into the software for trolling.

Good Luck on your decision.

Attachments

• SommerTime Logo Tidal Fish.JPG
    SommerTime Logo Tidal Fish.JPG
    16.5 KB · Views: 813
I have not ruled out the RM S-1000.
However I don't think I want something that runs on batteries and isn't hard wired and secured to my helm.
I also don't want to buy something and 2 months down the road wish I had spent the money for the better unit that will have better integration with my current furuno electronics.

I had the S1000 and I suggest you search this site, because I found it to be unsatisfactory and I sold it and upgraded to a RM unit with flux gate. The RMs with flux gate are awesome - accurate, quiet and dependable. Spend the extra money and get a real autopilot.

andertonm":c4xn0gom said:
I had the S1000 and I suggest you search this site, because I found it to be unsatisfactory and I sold it and upgraded to a RM unit with flux gate. The RMs with flux gate are awesome - accurate, quiet and dependable. Spend the extra money and get a real autopilot.

My RM S1000 works excellent! Never burps and has awesome tracking abilities even at low speeds (3mph). The performance of the RM S1000 is only as good as the signal received from the gps and the speed you receive it since it solely uses this as heading and speed information. :wink: A poor or corrupt signal will certainly result in poor performance especially at slow speeds.

I have had both RM S1000 on my current boat and the RM ST8002 S1G on my previous boat. They performed equally in my applications. I agree the display was more informative on the RM ST8002 S1G but more complicated as well at more than twice the price. Most of the negative reports I have seen on the RM-1000 were people using GPS units other that Raymarine and had to use the NMEA output. Information is delivered much slower Via NMEA than the communication between RM units using SeaTalk and may explain the poor tracking. Another overlooked issue is isolation between equipment sharing a single NMEA output such as VHF radios and emergency devices causing reduced communication speeds.

(FishPimp) Since you have Furuno GPS I would lean more towards the RM ST8002 S1G or better yet the Furuno NAVPilot 511/OB. On my previous post I was not aware you had a Furuno GPS or wouldn't have pushed the RM S1000. IMHO you should always try to rig your electronics system with one manufacturer in order to get the best integration and functionality otherwise you are opening yourself up for compatibility issues and positioning yourself between two or more manufacturers for support. The Furuno NavPilot511 is a great system but @ 3K it should be, you certainly will not be disappointed with this one. Good luck... :D

JC Replied and":3abbz9ni said:
What are you guys running? installed S1000 on previous 2120
What are the pros and cons? S1000 worked fine, support was poor, RM tried not to honor advertised rebate
ANd would you buy the same set up again? Garmin's auto pilot with gyro

Does anyone have the Garmin auto pilot ghp 10 hooked up to their boat? If so, could you provide any comments as to it's performance?

I am thinking I would like to have it for those 30-100 mile trips. It would be nice to walk away from the helm but I guess the autopilot can't steer around crab traps or other obstructions.

I've got the 4212 Garmin chartplotter and I've used up the port for the gdl30 (weather ant), gdl 17 (gps ant), gds22 (sounder). Does the autopilot take up one of the ports in your GPS?

Can you plan a route on your pc using mapsource, tranfer that to the gps unit and then have the autopilot follow that route?

TheOtherLine":9ktyhmyr said:
Does anyone have the Garmin auto pilot ghp 10 hooked up to their boat? If so, could you provide any comments as to it's performance?

I have had Garmin units in the past and worked well. I cannot comment on this specific model?

I am thinking I would like to have it for those 30-100 mile trips. It would be nice to walk away from the helm but I guess the autopilot can't steer around crab traps or other obstructions.

If you have MARPA & radar your unit will warn you on a possible collision but will not steer around it. Not sure if the 4212 has this and I don's see radar listed below.

I've got the 4212 Garmin chartplotter and I've used up the port for the gdl30 (weather ant), gdl 17 (gps ant), gds22 (sounder). Does the autopilot take up one of the ports in your GPS?

No, It connects to the NEMA output.

Can you plan a route on your pc using mapsource, tranfer that to the gps unit and then have the autopilot follow that route?

Yes

Thanks Maxout; I'll have to check into the maarpa thing. I currently have the vhf/dsc wired to some NEMA wires. Not sure if I have already "used" the colors on the GPS NEMA wires required by the auto pilot. Will have to look.

Regarding radar, waiting for a good sale. Maybe JC will drop the price on his gmr 40. :D

After a lot of research, looking at what all of the autopilots offer, I went with the Simrad AP26. The AP16 is excellent, but is lacking the tuna troll patterns and a few other things that we felt was a premium. The Virtual Rudder feedback is awesome and nothing to break and no weak spots in the autopilot.

The AP26 will also do depth contour tracking also. The AP16 is a nicer looking display and less expensive, but the AP26 has almost everything the TR1 has. If you are running a single or dual outboard, the correct part number you are looking for is the "Simrad AP2620VF" and comes with the RPU80 pump, AC20 computer, compass and AP26 display unit.

There was a big review posted here, comparing alot of different name brands, but the Simrad won in the end... and they only compared the AP16, not the AP26. I think Dale posted it somewhere on the forum here.

I don't know about the TR-1 in detail, but Garmin just purchased the company, so something else to think about. I just know that everyone recommended the AP16 or AP26 when we purchased the AP, and I'm glad we didn't skimp and regret what we bought... Good luck!

I am leaning toward the simrad. waiting for jim to get the AP24 in

Wow, it has turned out to be quite a challenge to get ahold of a AP1603VF or a AP2620VF. Out of stock in most places due to the sale of Simrad and transition to replacement lines (AP24/28), which are of course unavailable also!

If anyone has a lead on a store with either of the above kits, please let me know.

Thanks

Hey Hard Core,

PM sent to you. I didn't want to post in public.. not sure on the rules 100%, but they have the autopilots you need.
C-

I just installed a Furuno 511OB on my 2530.

I hope to splash the boat soon and test it.

Kevin G.

Kevin!!! come up here! Let's go suck down some local suds and discuss Halibut fishing...

Hope the Autopilot works out... I just didn't want to take changes, so I bought the best!! Hopefully you bought it from the guys we discussed.

Salmon sucks this year, so it's Albies and Barndoors this year! Maybe bait up and entice some big sharks. Great white catch and release.. whadda ya think?

Well allrightythen Chris,

It’s funny (in a twisted sort of way) . . . :roll:

I was pretty much thinking along similar lines regarding just what species of fish I will be allowed to fish for and when and where and how much yadda, yadda, yadda.

I just purchased and installed twin Scotty electric 1116’s downriggers. I hope I get to use them this upcoming season! :evil: :shock: :evil:

After pondering just what (and where and when and if) I might be able to fish for: I have just re-read two articles in Pacific Coast Sportfishing on the ins and outs of Halibut fishing.

I do believe I will give Halibut fishing a go this year. The wifo and I enjoy eating Halibut . . . might as well get some!

I purchased and installed the Furuno unit as I already have a Furuno system installed on Empty Pockets. I am looking to upgrade the current MFD and the 511OB will interface with the unit I am looking at as well. I will be able to network all the sensors with two MFD heads. The AP will be able to accept Way Points from either MFD.

If you are going after Great Whites . . . to coin a phrase . . . “You are going to need a bigger boat”! LMAO :mrgreen:

John,

Thank you for the info on the 511 unit.

The pump is mounted aft, below decks at the base of the transom. It is about as far away from the pilot house as I can get it and still have the dang pump on the boat! LOL!

To be honest John, I didn’t consider noise or sound during operation when selecting the unit . . . I hope I lucked out in this regard!

It sounds like I dodged one on this purchase. :mrgreen:

Kevin G.

Back