Auto Pilot Survey

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kevin, make sure you keep that pump in a dry place. They are quite expensive, as you well know.

In quiet, I mean really quiet. I have my pump mounted under the and to the right of the helm just to the right of my feet. It’s not even enclosed yet and you still don’t notice it. I have never had anyone even notice the sound and ask what it is. You didn’t luck out, you got what you paid for. I’m very happy I went with Furuno.

Maybe I'll see you out on the water someday.

Good luck, I can’t wait to hear about it after your test run.

Hey Kevin,

You can use those new downriggers for bottom trolling Halibuts at or near the bottom. That's what I'm going to try with ours this year.

Also, with that autopilot, you should be able to follow a depth contour and troll without moving the downriggers much. You can follow the 200ft line, troll about 2 or 3 feet off the bottom in sand. Problem is, if you get near some structures, snap!

We have the TR-1 Gladiator. It has virtual feedback and enabled radar overlay on our plotter.
It has more bells and whistles then I will ever use. It even pilots in reverse (when will I need that?)
http://www.nautamatic.com/
It was a little pricey but supposed to do the best. I think the Simrad is right up there as well.
Dave

UnWired":1n6jdpoq said:
Hey Hard Core,

PM sent to you. I didn't want to post in public.. not sure on the rules 100%, but they have the autopilots you need.

Chris, If the information is to help a member secure what they need, no problem... post it up. That's what CP is for.
Now if a vendor comes in here strictly trolling for business... that's not so good. We'll know it if we see it.

Hard Core... if you're still looking for a supplier, call Jim Maier at BOE Marine, 866-735-5926
Jim either has, or can get, just about anything marine related.

Good luck!

I second Kevin's endorsement of BOE!
Both times I've called, Jim has answered the phone and I've been able to ask detailed questions. Ended up buying most of my electronics from Jim.
Pretty nice when the owner answers the phone!

I went with the RM ST8002 SG1 and bought the SmartController Remote. Pump is installed in the pilot house and is quiet enough. Teleflex has come out with a sweet new product called a Smartstick which takes the place of the RM Rudder Reference unit. It is lightweight, low profile and has no moving parts. Here is the link to the Samrtstick site: http://www.teleflexmarine.com/cgi-bin/p ... oduct=1110

One issue I am having is RM manual and thier support has not been very good. SmartController is reading the Sea Temp as Celcius and I can not figure out how to change it to Fahrenheit. There is also a Watch function that can be activated but RM can not tell me if the timer is adjustable. Other than those 2 issues I really love this unit as I have it twice now.

I had a TR-1 on a previously boat. I absolutely loved it. Once I reached the fishing spot, I hit the search pattern (either radial or zig-zag, all programmable). That would allow me to deploy the outriggers, teasers,etc ( I fished alone most of the time).

The biggest test of an A/P is maintaining course at very slow speed in rough seas. Not once did my TR-1 fail under these circumstances. Twice I was caught in some really nasty stuff and the a/p held a better course that I could (viz was next to nothing).

The TR1 was hooked up to a Garmin plotter/fishfinder. As far as noise is concerned, it's a bit louder, but I never thought it was detrimental to my fishing.

If I get another boat, the TR-1 will be the AP I get.

Back