Autopilot questions

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parker Paul

Reaction score
It seems that quite a few of the Parker nation have autopilots. I have been thinking of adding one to our 2310. I had a quote this past spring and I'd like to ask you if you think this is reasonable. I already have the fluxgate compass and rate gyro for my GPS display, so they are not included in the quote. These are the needed items and costs

Ray ST6002 control head $528
Ray S1 course computer $245
Ray linear rudder feedback $224
Ray type 1 hydraulic pump $668
Misc materials $375
20 hrs Labor @ $85 / hr $1700

Total $3740

Regards, Parker Paul

2005 2310 / F250
Pt Judith Salt Pond
Pt Judith, RI

20 hours seems excessive. I would guess more like 12, but I'm not a pro installer, just a DIY guy who has installed "old school" and current units for myself and friends.

Yes, I know that the 20 hrs seems high. And there is nearly $400 for misc materials. With the economy the way that it is now, I may delay this upgrade.

Thanks, Paul

The delay will give you more time to research and possibly be able to do some of the work yourself. Also may find the parts at a better price. :)

You may try making them an offer. Some work may be better than none to the dealer. A good installer should be able to do this job in a day. Took me about two hours to install mine but it's not a hydraulic unit.

Too high on labor & parts. There should not be any suprises if they know what they are doing and what boat they are doing it on. Shop around. Any reputable dealer should be able to install this in a day 8 hrs. I would not deal with this dealer. No hard feelings just move on. You see allot of this when work gets slow or if they are too busy. Price it high so if you decide to go with them great they make double labor but if you move on they feel like they were too busy anyway. It's a shame.

Fwiw, you want the S1G, not the S1 computer. It will hold a course much better than the S1.

I installed mine. It wasn't hard, and the bulk of the project was figuring out where to get the parts for the hydraulic connections (it turns out that seastar has pre-made hoses and fiting kits).

My guess is took me about 8 hours of total install time - including electronics integration, and I had never done one before.

That's great information guys. I appreciate it very much.

Regards, paul

2005 2310 / F250
Pt Judith Salt Pond
Pt Judith, RI

If I was you I would wait a little while for the new Garmin, which is really an improved version of the TRI, which was considered the best in the business.

Otherwise, wait for the new Raymarine units that don't need a rudder feedback device.

There is rudder reference built by Teleflex that does not use any moving/ hydraulic parts. It's called the SmartStick and they make one that will interface with RM brand AP's. The cost was about the same and maybe a little less than the RM rudder reference. I have been using mine for the last 4 months and it works great. Here is the link to the product:

http://www.teleflexmarine.com/cgi-bin/p ... oduct=1110

Although I did not install it it took my guy appx. 6-7 hrs to install the entire AP which included the SmartStick.

Again, thanks for all the information. I didn't realize that there were so many diffeent options It will be spring before I make a decision on
what to do. Hopefully, my pension will not have evaporated in the meantime.

Regards, Paul

2005 2310 / F250
Pt Judith Salt Pond
Pt Judith, RI

Back