BASIC RADAR Mounting Question...

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReelTimeCapt

Reaction score
I hope everyone is having a good Summer. I just purchased a used Furuno 2KW Radar in very good shape and plan to mount it on the HardTop of my 2310WA.

Here are some pics of my boat: http://www.teamreeltime.com/About/About ... fault.aspx

My questions are:
1 - How do I know if I need a pedestal to raise my Raydome? (I see some boats mount the Raydome directly to the top...)
2 - Is there a safety issue with or without with the pedestal?

Any help is appreciated.

RTC <>< (Fletcher)

The antenna needs to be set at a down angle so that when running it is aimed at the horizon, otherwise you would be looking for airplanes instead of boats. Raising it, to a point, helps range.

Damage to eyes can occur if your head is exposed to the beam. I do not know if 2KW is enough but my 4KW instructions said this. We stopped transmission if anyone got their head up top for any reason before hand that they may be exposed. Raising it may also keep some of that energy away.

Sounds good. Thanks for the info. I plan to use it running the shipping channel at night during striper season and will probably cut it off or put it in standby when we are fishing... Thank again.

Fletcher Dunton
Captain, USCG OUPV

Back