Battery Charger Installation

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evetsmd

Reaction score
My 2520 doesn't have dock power capability but my slip does and I don't currently use it!

I'd like to add a charger to keep my 2 batteries topped off. The boat has the 2nd Station Freestanding Console and I'm thinking to mounting a charger inside that console run wires from it to the batteries and tuck away the 110VAC plug under the gunnel. When I come back to the dock I can plug it in and the unit and 110V connection will all be out of the weather.

Has anyone tried this or do you have a better suggestion for installing a charger.

Finally does anyone have a cost effective suggestion for a charger that will maintain two batteries.

Thanks for any input.

I was interested in doing the same thing a while back. I was worried about galvanic corrosion and decided against it. The wiring in my marina is terrible, and I wasn't able to find out what I needed anyway. I'm going to keep an eye on this thread. Good luck.

Are you planning on leaving it plugged in while away from the boat?

I installed shorepower on my Parker this spring. Wasnt all that hard of an install. Just takes a little time.

Yes, that's the plan.....I do it occasionally now using a very good charger from the house. Other than a charger, I have no need for electric on the boat so no plans to add it. Thought this might be an easy solution.

Here's what I did. Batteries are always topped off and ready to go.

I like your idea of installing the 110 jack under the gunnel to keep it out of weather. If I had to do it all over again, I would do that. I just stick with the KISS principle. I used a pro sport 20 2 back charger, ran the power cord up under the transom fish box and used an adhesive back pad with a zip tie to keep the plug secure. I tuck it under the transom box when in use to keep it out of direct rain.

Attachments

• Battery Charger Install (Small).jpg
    Battery Charger Install (Small).jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 313
  • Battery Tender Out (Small).jpg
    Battery Tender Out (Small).jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 313
Installed a ProSport 20 using Other Line's KISS procedure...works great...I have a 2000 2520 with a 225 Yamaha notched transom...I installed mine in the bildge mounted to the side of the deck suports ...I have the 120 line coming out under the gunnel using the same sticky pad wire ties used by The Other Line...I just plug it in

I also inquired at the dealer regarding galvanic corrosion - FWIW I was told that since I have an outboard (motor stored completely up and out of the water) it really wasn't an issue...

Flycatcher":32jqbwim said:
I also inquired at the dealer regarding galvanic corrosion - FWIW I was told that since I have an outboard (motor stored completely up and out of the water) it really wasn't an issue...

How about the rest of the metal underwater? Trim tabs. Motor mount. Swim platform. I was worried about all that stuff, and decided to not risk it.

Hi Kevin....

This looks like it would be perfect for me as well. Where do you plan on mounting this charger? It's not that large a box!
:lol:

Thats another problem for me. My bilge is pretty full already, and I know the charger should be close to the batteries.

I need a 2820.

:lol:

96TL":3echdu58 said:
Flycatcher":3echdu58 said:

How about the rest of the metal underwater? Trim tabs. Motor mount. Swim platform. I was worried about all that stuff, and decided to not risk it.

I am only passing on what I was told. However you make an excellent point. The only metal underwater when I am plugged in are the trim tabs. I did install zincs on (rather had them installed) and I was concerned about them which prompted me to check with my dealer. So far so good. Will let you know if anything changes.

On my 2520, when the 225 Yamaha is up and resting back down on it's support tab, I still have a small part (I mean maybe 2 to 3 inches) of the engine in the water. Does anyone else have the same issue? Sounds like you guys are out of the water completely.

Thanks

evetsmd":2ul1bdot said:
On my 2520, when the 225 Yamaha is up and resting back down on it's support tab, I still have a small part (I mean maybe 2 to 3 inches) of the engine in the water. Does anyone else have the same issue? Sounds like you guys are out of the water completely.

Thanks

Same thing happens to me if I rest it on the support tab.

I just leave it tilted all the way up. 100% out of the water that way.

I used to do that, crank it all the way up but I caught h_ll from Yamaha when I called them last year to ask why my engine was dropping back into the water.

It happened during a very hot spell of weather.....they told me they see that in extreme heat when the weight of the engine is enough to cause some leakage in the cylinder hydraulics. End result is the engine starts to sink back into the water.

There other warning was to use the support tab or eventually pay the high cost to have the seals replaced in the cylinders.

I'm now using the support tab 100% of the time.....have thought about finding something to place between the tab to fill the space so the engine stays out of the water......

What do you think?

evetsmd":15ubku7y said:
Where do you plan on mounting this charger? It's not that large a box!

I'll put it somewhere inside the transom, most probably on the port side where I have the most open space. It stays dry in there and still has suficient ventillation.

Image-5C4C5AEA4F5411DB.jpg

There is probably room on the stbd side above the guest battery switch too.

Image-5C4C28044F5411DB.jpg

Image-5C4CDF244F5411DB.jpg

Lots of options...

evetsmd":3b1jl4kf said:

Thanks

When I am in full up on the tilt - my 225 yamaha is clear of the water by about 2" or 3" - I don't normally use the support tab when docked because as you say it allows a small portion of the motor to be underwater...

evetsmd":1sl4eri8 said:

Even when my motor is all the way up, the nose cone is still wet.

DSCN0013.JPG

DSCN0012.JPG

Introduction of a battery charger alone, with no other AC connections on the boat, will not affect galvanic current or stray current. The chargers output is strictly DC. The setups the members have shown here are perfectly adequate. You can use a Marinco or ProMariner charger inlet if you really want to have a "clean" install. But the real key is to make sure all your electrical ground connections either tie in to your engine's zinc and, if you have one, a separate hull zinc. If, by chance, you were to use your charger as an AC power source (open case Charles, for instance), then you would need to run an 8 GA green from the ground lug on the charger to your 12V ground bus. Not recommended, though.

Install your charger, plug it in before you go home, and keep an eye on your zincs.

Back