Battery Charger Installation

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob C":jm3ykmb6 said:
Introduction of a battery charger alone, with no other AC connections on the boat, will not affect galvanic current or stray current. The chargers output is strictly DC. The setups the members have shown here are perfectly adequate. You can use a Marinco or ProMariner charger inlet if you really want to have a "clean" install. But the real key is to make sure all your electrical ground connections either tie in to your engine's zinc and, if you have one, a separate hull zinc. If, by chance, you were to use your charger as an AC power source (open case Charles, for instance), then you would need to run an 8 GA green from the ground lug on the charger to your 12V ground bus. Not recommended, though.

Install your charger, plug it in before you go home, and keep an eye on your zincs.

So a galvanic isolator is not needed?

Sorry, I forgot. Remember, your slip has a 30A shorepower outlet, which is the traditional 3 prong configuration, quite different from a household standard. To plug a household plug in, you will need an adapter. Does your slip have a traditional outlet nearby, the standard polarized prongs plus the half-round ground prong on the bottom?

96TL,
No, a galvanic isolator is not needed in this case. The AC connection is only going to the charger, and it's output is DC. When you introduce other devices into the system, and have a dedicated 120V AC system, then you run into galvanic and/or stray current issues. Remember, with DC, you have a circle, or closed path, flow of electrons. Energy flows to the appliance (12V+), returns to the battery (12V-). 120V AC dumps the flow somewhere, hopefully to earth, water, or your neighbors boat!

The batteries, since they are your only connection to AC, do not have the ability to allow the flow of AC current. They are strictly DC, and would have no idea what to do with AC. That's a good thing!

Thanks for the help. I am seriosuly considering installing one now.

I might send you a PM if I have a question or two. 8)

Dom

Dom,
Hey, BTW, you're a New Yorker, I'm from Chicago, although live in Florida. I'm sure we can figure it out. Let me know what you want to do.

Megabyte":2egxs2fu said:
evetsmd":2egxs2fu said:
On my 2520, when the 225 Yamaha is up and resting back down on it's support tab, I still have a small part (I mean maybe 2 to 3 inches) of the engine in the water. Does anyone else have the same issue? Sounds like you guys are out of the water completely.

Even when my motor is all the way up, the nose cone is still wet.

Kevin,

You need to stack more barley pop in the anchor locker...then it will push the bow down and the transom up. :D :D :D

Bob C":4tpci14x said:
Dom,
Hey, BTW, you're a New Yorker, I'm from Chicago, although live in Florida. I'm sure we can figure it out. Let me know what you want to do.

Bob, I sent you an email today. Thanks.

Hello

Before buying check out Boaters World. They have a kit with a 2 bank charger, Shore power cord with a 3 prong end, and a weather proof mounting bezel for the plug. Priced very reasonable. The stock # is 196830806 for $149.99 Boaters World Special $99.99 It is now on sale for $89.99 until 8-25-2008. I have this installed on my 2520XL and it is awesome. Will upload pics as soon as possible.

Goodluck
Catfish

Attachments

• DCP_0093.jpg
    DCP_0093.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 31
  • DCP_0096.jpg
    DCP_0096.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 30
Back