Battery Replacement question

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scalywag05

Reaction score
Going to grab new batteries.....In the yamaha owners manual it states the specs for the batteries for a 150 hpdi model Z150 TXRB

Min CCA 512
Min MCA 675
Min reserve capacity 182 minutes

It seems like it will be hard to find a group 24 battery that will meet the min reserve capacity of 182 minutes. It seems the previous owner had 1 battery a group 24 and one a 27. Maybe I have not looked hard enough on some of the websites. any suggestions? thanks guys -Joe

i have two matched AGM group 24s for my HPDI, it's plenty. I bought the west marine brand SeaVolts, which I believe are Dekas, for $149.99 on sale. The sale is over but if you have a port supply i believe they are the same price.

I like them a lot so far, i saved about 100lbs of weight on the boat..

AGM 12V Battery, Group 24, 79 Ah, 660 MCA, 140 Res. Min., 10.9"L x 6.8"W x 9.9"H, 53lb.

I don't know the ratings offhand, but check out the $68 Group 24 combo starting/deep cycle (dual purpose) batteries Walmart sells. Seriously ...as they are made by Johnson Controls, you know, the SAME company that makes the highly rated Optima gel mat batteries.

I've converted all of my friends over to them and when well cared for, none of us get < 5-years out of them. I have some with 6+ in use on our fleet of small skiffs as bilge pump power.

Ok sounds good guys thanks. Also, last season was my first season with the boat and what I was doing was starting and running on both batteries and then switching to one or two when anchored. Is this the recommended practice or should you run on one the way out and then the other coming back. I figured if the motor is running why not keep both batteries charged. Just curious to see what you guys do thanks again -Joe

I believe group 24 are too small. My 2002 2510 came with group 27...one for each motor. After a few years of replacing batteries, I went to group 31 combo start/deep-cycle and have never turned back.

I had to install larger battery trays (there is a thread in the Projects Forum on that).

While I was installing the new batteries, I also moved all the small wires to large terminal posts on the transom...leaving only a very large gauge jumper wire from the transom posts to the battery posts. That cured my corrosion problem on the many small wires that are attached to each battery. There is a thread in the Projects Forum on that too.

Dave

aka

scalywag05":3aj89etn said:
Ok sounds good guys thanks. Also, last season was my first season with the boat and what I was doing was starting and running on both batteries and then switching to one or two when anchored. Is this the recommended practice or should you run on one the way out and then the other coming back. I figured if the motor is running why not keep both batteries charged. Just curious to see what you guys do thanks again -Joe

i run one battery the whole day... that way if it should go dead i KNOW i have a good spare. the next trip i go for the other battery.

I have a rule on any boat i'm on- NEVER switch a battery while the engine is running, EVER. if the switch should short out or the battery, or should you accidentally hits OFF, blammo your alternator just ate it.

CaptainJim":1l6s8j8p said:
I have a rule on any boat i'm on- NEVER switch a battery while the engine is running, EVER. if the switch should short out or the battery, or should you accidentally hits OFF, blammo your alternator just ate it.
Just be aware that what you stated is FALSE and doesn't apply if one uses the proper battery switch that allows for the alternator to make proper contact to the 2nd battery BEFORE breaking contact from the 1st battery. One can use a MAKE-BEFORE-BREAK battery switch and switch between batteries, even while running, without blowing a motor's alternator or charging circuitry.

As for 2 battery config, I myself run battery #1 on odd days of the week, like today being the 29th, and run battery #2 on even days. Simple, easy to remember, and as another posted ... always keeps a fresh battery in reserve.

DaleH":3ibzb79r said:
CaptainJim":3ibzb79r said:
Just be aware that what you stated is FALSE and doesn't apply if one uses the proper battery switch that allows for the alternator to make proper contact to the 2nd battery BEFORE breaking contact from the 1st battery. One can use a MAKE-BEFORE-BREAK battery switch and switch between batteries, even while running, without blowing a motor's alternator or charging circuitry.

As for 2 battery config, I myself run battery #1 on odd days of the week, like today being the 29th, and run battery #2 on even days. Simple, easy to remember, and as another posted ... always keeps a fresh battery in reserve.

Dale: I never said it WOULD short out, more that it could. What if the motor running on #1 is switched to #2 and the terminal is corroded? Or if you aren't paying attention and hit off? I merely stated we have a rule on my boat, as well as our work boats. No switching while running.

scalywag05":1qqva0sx said:
It seems like it will be hard to find a group 24 battery that will meet the min reserve capacity of 182 minutes. It seems the previous owner had 1 battery a group 24 and one a 27. Maybe I have not looked hard enough on some of the websites. any suggestions? thanks guys -Joe

Joe, Try this site:

http://www.lifelinebatteries.com/marinesizing.php

An example of my stupidity.

Years ago I had people in the cockpit fishing, drifting. Long days out, sometimes I switch to one battery when the engine is off and go back to two batteries to start and go. I was preoccupied, started with one and switched to two. In reality I switched to off. I ran quite awhile and when I slowed to enter the harbor it stalled! I ran for miles with the batteries off.

Dana

scalywag05":vr1plryc said:

You will get lots of differing opinions on this.

Some use battery 1 on odd days and battery 2 on even days.
Some use battery 1 going out, and battery 2 coming back in.

I put my switch on both and don't worry about it.
Been doing that for 8 years now on the same set of Optima blue-tops and they are still going strong, so I see no need to change. :)

When I prepare the boat for off season I remove all connections from the batteries except the charger leads and leave the automatic on board charger plugged in the entire off season. The worst thing you can do to a lead acid battery is let it sit discharged and even worse in freezing temps. No need to add more terminals as every connection is another point of possible failure. It takes less than 1 minute to disconnect two wing nuts. If you do not have an on board charger and or live in extremely cold area then remove the batteries and store inside.

As far as how I run the boat I keep the switch in the both position while running and if drifting or sitting with motor off for extended periods I will switch to one or the other and keep a full battery on standby.

I think the factory set up (minus the cheesy breakers) is more than sufficient for typical usage and should accommodate most applications. If anything I would add a third isolated battery as a dedicated essential electronics battery as well as the optional aux charging cable to my F250 to charge it.

No offense but the K.I.S.S. philosophy is the best and only one I follow when it comes to marine electronics. Every connection, switch, fuse etc. is another possible point of corrosion and failure.

danielb":3baisx2j said:
Battery switch misinfo, battery switches today are make and break switches, so you cannot blow the altinator going from #1 to #2 or both.

Turning it to off while the engine is running is a no, no and I know Dale or Megabyte can tell you in detail what would happen, I don't know.

usually it will blow the stator up. Also, again, i did NOT say the switch would blow your alternator. I said IF THERE WAS A SHORT IT COULD. It is simply just easier for me to turn the motor off, switch the batteries, and restart. That way i know I did it right. My battery switch is in a wierd spot and isnt easy to see, which is why we have that rule on my boat....off would be FAR too easy to hit and not realize it.

Stop wasting your $$ on Batteries and spend it on Electronics and fishing gear!

without good batteries there are no electronics and there isn't any fishing. or getting home.

I generally run on ALL on the way out to the fishing grounds and once there switch to a single battery for drifting leaving the other fully charged and ready to go if neccessary. I usually forget to switch back to ALL on the way back in though.... :roll:

Back