Bench Seat/Seat Box mounting (warthog?)

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadGar

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Southern Maryland, Chesapeake/Potomac River
I have a quick question. I am in the process of finishing up a seat box & bench seat for inside my pilot house (hopefully weather will warm up soon for epoxy and painting). My question is on mounting them to the floor.

I have gone through almost all of the projects on this site over the past year but in many cases didn't see how projects were actually mounted to the floor.

I have reviewed several on other websites, specifically THT, where I saw Warthog's xShark project (also on Classic Mako) and would like to ask Wart, where did you get the angle bracket for mounting to floor and 2nd, is it aluminum and did you paint them or did they come that way?

Also, did you use SS Lag bolts to screw into the floor or are they actually through bolts with a nut on the underside. I have attached your pic to show you (and others) what I'm looking at.

Hope the questions makes since and I appreciate all responses that can be offered. By the way, as the weather permits and I get closer to the install I will post the project. Thanks

Attachments

• seat box.jpg
    seat box.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 397
Hey Brent, thanks for replying. The picture I loaded was actually from Warthog5s MAKO project. I was referencing it to get more info on his project to use as reference to mount a seat box I'm making. Sorry but I don't have any other photos of his project, I got that from THT.

Since its a box with a wide base I dont think its as critical as a pedestal base. There is less leverage with a box. Its doubtful there is a clear void under it for through bolting if you were to attempt it, could be foam filled or a stringer in the way. Toggles may work but I dont think they are needed.

I think 1/4" ss lags would be more than enough and the hex head is easy to use in tight spaces. Be sure to apply plenty of sealant to the holes because any moisture that gets in will never come out.

Thanks for the response Fisheron. I am leaning towards what you said, just appreciate some feedback for my own confidence :? Do you have an opinion on whether or not an aluminum bracket would be fine? I guess another option would be stainless but that would be expensive.

Sorry I didn't pay much attention to this thread earlier.

The angle is alum. It was then cleaned, sanded, primed and painted with Awlgrip. It is lag bolted to the deck and thru bolted thru the sides of the seat box.

If you wanted to thru bolt to the deck you would need to install 1 or 2 pieholes in the deck to get your arm thru. But this would create a raised spot inside your storage area. That may..... or may not be a problem for you?

If you do that..... Don't cheat on the piehole.... Put one in big enough to easily work thru.

Painted aluminum should be fine in a interior location. There is self etching spray primers made just for aluminum.

There is also fiberglass angle sold on e-bay.

I think 5200 alone would hold it in place but if you ever wanted to remove it you would have a very tough time.

Wart, thank you, that is exactly the information I was looking for. I will be lag bolting it but wasn't 100% certain that would be fine but now feel confident.

Fisheron, thank you again for the replies, I now feel even more confident that your suggestion of 1/4" lags will be the method I should use. I don't want to use 5200 since who knows if I or the next owner may want to remove the box.

Again, I appreciate all the support given and feel better moving forward.
Kevin

Back