BEP cluster red LED not lit

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iltfish

Reaction score
I recently installed the 716-SQ-140A-DVSR in place of the standard selector switch this off season. I followed the directions on the site explicitly along with consulting the instructions that came with the unit. This is the single engine, dual batt config.
I finally put the boat in the slip this weekend and took it for a good spring shakedown run.
What I noticed that while all house electronics are definitely operating on engine voltage of 14VDC or greater, the little red LED on the DVSR does not light. I even removed the entire cluster to double check my connections, but all were per spec.
Has anyone encountered this scenario before?
Could it just be a faulty LED?
Any other thoughts??

I’ve seen mine lit but I’ve never kept an eye on it that much. What I’m not sure of is what if the house battery is charged and doesn’t require additional charging and the engine is providing enough power to run everything, will the led be on? It says that it lights while charging the 2nd (house) battery.

Did you connect the house demand to the house battery or the starting battery? If you are running the house demand off the house battery the LED should light when you have 13.8 volts for more than 30 secs on the start battery.

Ok,the attached pic is how I set it up prior to connecting to the boat.I must admit that this pic is not mine, but pulled from another post for reference purposes. I did exactly as suggested.I redid the provided terminals with heat shrinkable Ancor marine terminals.I then clipped the little red wire closest to the Start post, crimped on a terminal and attached to the "B" post.
Boat connections are as follows:
Post A to positive of Start Batt
Post B to Eng positive
Post C to House Batt Positive
Post D to House Load with a 60A circuit breaker after DVSR and before House Bus
Little black wire from DVSR to ground block that is common to both Batteries ground terminals

Both batteries were freshly top charged prior to running boat this weekend. Now I only ran the boat for about 15 mins up the inlet, out the ocean and back to the slip.
I checked the red LED a few times, but never saw it illuminate. All electronics appear to running on engine power as voltage readings on individual units are showing 14VDC or better (internal display settings).
Why I am so curious is that this is a new installation and I expected the red LED to be lit once the Bus voltage reached operating range.
Should this red LED always be lit when voltage is above 14 VDC or only if House Batt needs charging?
I would suspect with electronics (GPS, radar, fishfinder, stereo, VHF, etc...) drawing down the House batt, it will continuously require minor charging????

Attachments

• 536afbb4122092aa2015aeb0022cc15b.jpg
    536afbb4122092aa2015aeb0022cc15b.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 70
OK You have that Correct.....NOW.....What about that GND wire? 1st I see you left the stupid automotive ring connector on it.

It has to have that wire grounded. That is to complete the Relay circuit. In fact....One time I lost that GND and the electronic's died at sea.....This was due to the Hose battery NOT getting charged.

I typically see the Red light for just a few short Blinks when I first turn the Start switch on......by the way you have it wired with the small Red wire.

Warthog5-That's not my pic.It's just a photo that I pulled from another post.I did replace the ring terminal on the black ground wire with a heat shrink Ancor marine terminal.
The black ground wire is attached to a common terminal block (NEW) that also houses the ground bus feed to upfront and both batt neg terminals.
So you are saying that the red light should not be on all of the time???
Doesn't this red light indicate that the DVSR is energized and charging both batts?
Should the red wire be connected to a different post?

I just spoke with BEP/Marinco Tech Support.From what they explained, that red LED should be lit anytime the DVSR is closed (13.7VDC or greater) essentially charging the House and Start Batts simultaneously.
I am going to check again on Friday when I get back down to the boat.
Along with checking the voltage on both the house and start batt positive terminal post with the engine running. To ensure that the House batt is indeed being charged or not

FALSE ALARM!
I checked both batts with voltmeter before starting engine. Readings were 12.57VDC with no load. Started engine and rechecked values. Read 14.34 VDC on both batts.
Cupped hand over DVSR and LED IS LIT! Just not as bright as I would expect, but the sunlight makes it harder to see.
Working as advertised. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Back