BEP Cluster

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UPDATE:
Here is a picture of inside the aft bilge compartment showing the battery wiring arrangement and a picture showing the aux charging port wiring harness on the starboard side of the motor. I also posted a video of the IMG_0052.jpgunnamed (1).jpgaft bilge compartment on my youtube channel here:

Last edited:
Good Vid :)

I don't understand the Batt 1 40a CB & Batt 2 40a CB?

I rip those battery trays out..They allow the batteries to move....No you never see it when your busy bouncing thru the waves.

These are easier to access the battery in a lot of situations...and batteries do NOT move.

Fuel filter mount....Yours is starting....It's powdercoated alum.....They corroide in 3yrs and just get worse. It's probably factory.......But if installing one spend the money...Get the Stainless unit.....It will look still new in 10yrs.

This info is for educational purposes for all folks. :)

In the past...A Cat boat with twin Honda's comes to mind....It had aux charge wires.

I installed a Twin BEP cluster.......Then I hooked Port aux charge wire to STB Start batt. and STB aux charge wire to Port Start batt.

The therory is .....which ever engine was not running.....It's Batt was still being charged.

Good Vid :)

I don't understand the Batt 1 40a CB & Batt 2 40a CB?

I rip those battery trays out..They allow the batteries to move....No you never see it when your busy bouncing thru the waves.

These are easier to access the battery in a lot of situations...and batteries do NOT move.

Fuel filter mount....Yours is starting....It's powdercoated alum.....They corroide in 3yrs and just get worse. It's probably factory.......But if installing one spend the money...Get the Stainless unit.....It will look still new in 10yrs.

This info is for educational purposes for all folks. :)

In the past...A Cat boat with twin Honda's comes to mind....It had aux charge wires.

I installed a Twin BEP cluster.......Then I hooked Port aux charge wire to STB Start batt. and STB aux charge wire to Port Start batt.

The therory is .....which ever engine was not running.....It's Batt was still being charged.
Yes, I don't understand the CB's either, but this is how I got the boat.
I am planning to install the BEP cluster and just abandoned the aux charging altogether or save it for the future installation to a third battery bank for the trolling motor, but I'm not sure I'f that would work.
For the battery tray's, I'm assuming that you are referring to the Atwoods?
The stainless filter mount was just ordered. :)

UPDATE:
I ordered the BEP cluster 80-716-0014-00 and the BEP Battery Control Center 80-007-0050-00IMG-0133.jpg.
This upgrade from the Perko switch will work essentially the same as the typical BEP cluster posted all over this forum, except that the these switches are motorized. For now, I will abandon the aux charging cable until the trolling motor install.

UPDATE:
I ordered the BEP cluster 80-716-0014-00 and the BEP Battery Control Center 80-007-0050-00View attachment 29029.
This upgrade from the Perko switch will work essentially the same as the typical BEP cluster posted all over this forum, except that the these switches are motorized. For now, I will abandon the aux charging cable until the trolling motor install.
I'll be interested to see how the remote panel install works out! As far as I know you'll be the first on here with that setup.

What Pelagic said. (y)

I talked to a potential customer yesterday about installing the normal one I use.....It would make # 51 installed.

Attachments

• 100_5946.JPG
    100_5946.JPG
    426.8 KB · Views: 83
UPDATE:
Some progress on this project, but not much. I cut the hole for the mounting of the BEP battery control center. The location worked out great above the fuse panel in the cabin. I don't know what to call this area, it's the starboard side of the underside of the helm cover. ?

IMG-0318.jpg
IMG-0320.jpg
IMG-0323.jpg

I have the same 2 CB setup in my 05 2520 with the guest selector switch. Wondering if I should remove one of the CB's when I change over to BEP cluster? I don't imagine having both would harm anything in the setup?

Depends what it goes to?

I had 3 - CB's on my 2530...for High loads.

1- for the main feed of House circuits
1- for Windless
1- for Stereo amp

In this thread
It's talked about the aux charging wire and 2 batteries.....
Yes...The engine will keep both batteries charged "Without" them being paralleled together. That would be thee "Both" position on a Perko switch.

NOTE: Perko / Guest master switch is the same thing. Different color

A BEP has a Master sw to turn ON/OFF the House Battery...It has another switch to turn ON/OFF the start battery. In This system the batteries are seperate.....and yet the Relay parallel's them together to charge them.....It also senses high amperage demands and instantaneously unparallel's them.....IE: when you hit the Start key.

A Perko sw. has Batt1 - Batt 2 and Common terminals on them. You cannot isolate the starting system from the house system....When you turn that switch....It supplies power to the Start/Engine & House from the same battery.

So......With a separate charge wire system..... Delete the Perko switch and install this....and you will have the system operate as the regular BEP with the Relay.

https://www.bepmarine.com/en/p/715-H/Btery-Distribution-Cluster-Single#

As a side note.....In the 53 BEP clusters I've installed.....there are still a few that can't get it thru their head how to operate it..... LOL.

They ask....." How you do those switches again?" Meaning what position should they be in?

In the link above that I posted....The Yellow/ Combine switch stays in the OFF position all the time.....UNLESS.....for some reason the Start battery will Not start the engine....Then you turn it to ON.....Think of it as Built in jumper cables. I let engine run a little with combine in ON......Then turn it Off....The alt is charging the dead Start battery and the House battery separately.....with the AUX charge wire to the House battery.

Depends what it goes to?

I had 3 - CB's on my 2530...for High loads.

1- for the main feed of House circuits
1- for Windless
1- for Stereo amp

In this thread
It's talked about the aux charging wire and 2 batteries.....
Yes...The engine will keep both batteries charged "Without" them being paralleled together. That would be thee "Both" position on a Perko switch.

NOTE: Perko / Guest master switch is the same thing. Different color

A BEP has a Master sw to turn ON/OFF the House Battery...It has another switch to turn ON/OFF the start battery. In This system the batteries are seperate.....and yet the Relay parallel's them together to charge them.....It also senses high amperage demands and instantaneously unparallel's them.....IE: when you hit the Start key.

A Perko sw. has Batt1 - Batt 2 and Common terminals on them. You cannot isolate the starting system from the house system....When you turn that switch....It supplies power to the Start/Engine & House from the same battery.

So......With a separate charge wire system..... Delete the Perko switch and install this....and you will have the system operate as the regular BEP with the Relay.

https://www.bepmarine.com/en/p/715-H/Btery-Distribution-Cluster-Single#

As a side note.....In the 53 BEP clusters I've installed.....there are still a few that can't get it thru their head how to operate it..... LOL.

They ask....." How you do those switches again?" Meaning what position should they be in?

In the link above that I posted....The Yellow/ Combine switch stays in the OFF position all the time.....UNLESS.....for some reason the Start battery will Not start the engine....Then you turn it to ON.....Think of it as Built in jumper cables. I let engine run a little with combine in ON......Then turn it Off....The alt is charging the dead Start battery and the House battery separately.....with the AUX charge wire to the House battery.
I finally completed the install of the motorized battery switch as mentioned above in my previous posts.
It works great
I will try to post a video soon

Back