Best Hull for the Ches. Bay

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marek

Reaction score
Which degree hull do you guys feel is the best for the bay and why. Bought a 19 Twin vee last winter with the intention of keeping that and our ski boat, but we ended up selling the ski boat and are now thinking of going up to what we were orginally looking at. 23 SE or a 2320 . Tons of nice lightly used boats out there right now. The 25 pilot is a nice boat but for now I cant talk myself into leaving one in the water. We are 20 minutes from the Severn . Last season we went out over 30 times. We love to crab with pull pots and later in the season we run 1200' of line. How is it to run a line with a pilot house with a rear station? Does the 2320 rock alot at rest or while trolling ? Would like to buy a boat to keep for yrs and not want to trade after a short time. Have read on here alot of guys going back to a CC after having a pilot and also alot of guys going to a pilot after have several CCs.

Once in a blue moon I used to consider going back to a CC in the middle of the summer but truthfully I dont even think I can do it then. Even the wind and sun can make a beautiful day feel longer. I need a place for refuge.

Personally I believe in the Chesapeake bay area that the pilothouse configuration is the way to go. It allows for a big cockpit yet offers weather protection for more comfort. I also believe that those with boats with weather protection end up using thier boats more around here as it really allows for an extended season. There are guys who run their CC's a lot and through Decemeber but they are tougher guys than me. For example we left the dock on a few times this past fall when it was below freezing. (one day we had a big expensive CC follow us out of the Pax river trying not to get any spray on them)

As far as crabbing goes, I am not much of a crabber but I know a commercial crabber who regularly uses a pilothouse for his work. I believe the cockpit station a must. Here is the commercial crabber I know and his website where he sells supplies: http://www.ontheshoremd.com/contact.html

Just my thoughts :!:

Have you been out on a 23 Parker ? If so how was the ride on the go and at rest ? How did it compare to your new ride and your old one ?Would like to hear feed back from some owners. The Maycraft is nice also but you dont see alot of used ones around. I'm also partial to the lower gunnel on the Parker.

Unfortunately I have never been on a 2320 on the water to compare. nor do I crab to comment on how they do in that regard. I have been on several 2520mod v's but not the 2320sl. Despite it being the boat I initially wanted we I purchased my last boat, we ruled it out due to some layout rethinking (wanted a level deck and open back with extended top for our needs and wife didnt just want a curtain to use the port a potti behind). However, for a 23'er the 2320sl has a HUGE open cockpit. I will say that the 2520 mod v is even one of the most stable boats I have been on with is 9'6" beam but the ride in the chop is a little better on the narrower beamed boats.

The Parker 2320 is a poplular model. You should be able to hook a ride on one with a guy on TidalFish. The forum is a great message board and people are always willing to help a fellow boater out. If you want a ride on a Judge 27, let me know and I can take you out. However it is probably bigger than you are looking for as it compares closest with the 2520xl in the Parker line up. Parker makes a lot of boats so you can probably find a 2320 more readily available used than Maycraft or Judge (Judge only builds between 40 and 55 boats a year) I do know that Judge will have two used all-composite pilothouses at their open house though, a 24 and a 27 with twins.

Pm a guy name "edgewater" on TF. He has a 2320sl and while I have never met him personally, I understand him to be a great guy. He may be able to give you sea trial.

The rear station is covered in this photo of my 2520, but it gives you an idea of the cockpit room and the height of the washboard in the "work zone".

DSCN0017.JPG

DSCN0011.JPG

The 2320 has an 8'6" beam versus the 2520's 9'6", but otherwise the layout would be similar. The 2320 is a deep vee hull... 21 degrees versus my (older model) 2520's 14 degree deadrise, so you could travel a bit faster than I do in the chop.

Should be a great crabber though! :)

I have a 2530 and my buddy just bought a 2320. we took them to the sandbar yesterday and his boat moves alot more when standing near the sides of the boat. I would think that if you can get the mod v 25 that it would be the boat you would want especially if you were crabbing for the added weight you can handle.

optimaxfish":dzdk68id said:
The more they rock, the better they ride.

True... and the more horsepower they need to push them thru the water.
It's all a compromise... :wink:

optimaxfish":mosulcj2 said:
Isn't yer back, kidneys and fillings worth that much? :wink:

On the chesapeake, considering
1. a long run to fish is 20 miles
2. we spend all day a rest or on the very slow troll
3. the upfront additional cost of the deep v
4. the cost for the larger power
5. the cost for the heavier trailer
6. the cost for the heavier duty truck
7. the economy of a single
8. the ability to plane at slower speeds to run back to start th drift again
etc.

NOPE. I would order the 25 Mod v over the deep v for 'round these parts. I'll just run a little slower thank you. :lol: However the Parker 23 sport cabin only comes in a deep v so that is not a concern. For fishing in all seasons the Sport cabin over the CC trumps either hull configuration :wink:

Hey what do I know. My hull is neither. While not quite as aggressive as some of big carolina boats with their 60 degree entry, it sports a "warped plane" hull like the big ol custom sportfishes- my boat sports a 45 degree entry before flattening out at the transom. It is still about 24 degrees at the forward helm. Being only 26'4" hull length and light, She wont hang with a heavy albie or other true deep v in a headsea but does ok and still maintaining stability and good economy. I just have to slow enough to keep the boat in the water and bow down :wink:

Attachments

• newbf1.JPG
    newbf1.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 1,618
  • newbf2.JPG
    newbf2.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 1,618
I have a 2510 MV and fish and crab the Chesapeake Bay. I did put larger trim tabs on it which helped alot in rougher waters. If you go out in 3-4 footers in the Chesapeake you will get the shi* kicked out of you. But I'm with B-Faithful most of the time the MV is fine in the bay.

I also have a 2510 MV, and for the most part the MV is a perfect hull for the Bay. There are times I have to slow down because of the 14 deg deadrise and the chop. But in that same chop, she is rock steady. I've been at the CBBT when we had 5' swells coming in from the ocean and another 4' of chop in the mix. The DV guys left the fishing grounds...chumming for us as they went past. We continued to hammer the fish for another several hours and no one felt queasy.

One pain is the 9'6" wide hull ends up needing WIDE LOAD signs and towing permits. I get those a couple of times a year...otherwise, I hang around Solomons and go from storage lot to the ramp and back.

2320 would be a sweat ride on the Bay, and towable to boot.

Dave

aka

I love my 2520 MV on the Bay. The pilothouse is great even on a beautiful day, to get real shelter from the sun and (more importantly) constant wind and be able to have a conversation with your buddies while running 30mph without shouting. And on a day that's rainy or cold it is a whole different world from a CC. I've taken that boat out on days when I had to chip ice off the windshield first, and had a great time. I can't imagine going back to an open boat around here. And frankly I think I'd stick with the pilothouse even if I moved back to SC.

As for the hull, I like the stability of the mod-V. I spend a lot of time going slow or drifting. But I didn't choose it so much as it chose me. 2520s are a lot easier to find at a reasonable price on the used market than 2320s, and most of them around here are mod-Vs. If you can find a great deal on a 2320 that's great, and then you will end up with the DV hull. That's what I was looking for but finally gave up when I just couldn't find it. For the record, I'm now glad for the extra space. This is a very easy 25' boat to handle and (with the mod-V hull at least) push through the water, so the reasons I thought I wanted a 2320 haven't proven to make sense.

There is no single "best" hull. A person's wants and needs dictate what the most appropriate hull for them is. We pretty much get all kinds of conditions here in the bay, with the exception of the big rollers. Dead, flat calm one day and close, steep 6'ers the next. You have to decide how you want to run most of the time and pick the hull that will let you do that.

For me, the right hull was a mix between a true deep v and a mod v. Around 50 degrees of deadrise at the point of entry, 20 at the transom. I'm very prone to getting green out there, but I also don't like having to slow down. :)

Now that I have her propped right, the ride of my 25' Grady is perfect for me. And yes, props made it run like an entirely different boat. Hated it with 3-blade stainless 14 x 19 Yamaha wheels, love it with 3-blade stainless 15-1/4 x 19 Merc Mirage Plus wheels.

Truth be told, I believe a lot of the mod v crowd has the same "green disease" and won't admit it. Way too much whining about "boat rock", especially for Parkers w/only 21 degree hulls. As for me, a Jack and Coke, full sun beaming down, and I'll gladly lay down for a nap in the bow of a rocking DV. :D :D :D[/quote]

Isn't that part of the pleasure of being out on the water? All that rocking is like a lullabay.

Porkchunker":l8xml33a said:
One pain is the 9'6" wide hull ends up needing WIDE LOAD signs and towing permits. I get those a couple of times a year...otherwise, I hang around Solomons and go from storage lot to the ramp and back.
Bah. Who needs a stinking permit? 8) I’ve been from Key West to the St. Lawrence River (upstate NY). The tightest situations are between jersey walls on 81N when they place them 9'6" apart. The good thing is the boats beam is above the walls. :wink: A permit and a sign doesn’t make your boat smaller it's just another tax...........I'm not buying it.

Maryland DOT is getting really tight on things. If I only towed a few times a yr it would be a no brainer, but the 25 + times per year is just asking for trouble. When they pull you they will nail you for everything. We had trucks pulled during a snow twice this yr. Even my personal truck is registered to the bus. so they would have a field day with me.
How is it to run the pilot houses from the rear station? Is it easy to see over and around the cabin ?

I cannot speak for the parker as I dont remember from Megabytes boat and the other 25 Parker I had been on didnt have a rear station, but it is not a station I would recommend at speed. At idle or trolling steering from the cockpit is fine. I know I have a ton of windows to see through and the parker has lower wheelhouse with the step down so you can probably even see over it standing in the cockpit. I sit on the gunwale most nice days while trolling and can see fine.

Send a note to Edgewater on TF and I am sure he will get you out on a 2320sl. I hear he is a great guy from my friends who know him.

Regarding the beam, I understand the way law enforcement enforces the law is by comparing the width of the boat with the fenders of the trailer. I have towed my boat all over creation this past fall and never had an issue at 8'10". I have never pulled a permit and even tow over the Bay Bridge regularly. Then again if I got stopped they would have a hard time proving that I am not 8'6" as the wides part of the hull is by the pilothouse. Still I havent been stopped yet

Marek":2po1toge said:
How is it to run the pilot houses from the rear station? Is it easy to see over and around the cabin ?

I run from the rear station all the time when trolling or at slow speeds.....not good at high speeds except for short distances.
I'm not tall enough to see over the cabin, guessing you'd need to be 6'2' or better. You can see quite well thru the cabin windows or around the side.
I see a couple 25 SC's trotlining and working pots in the Deale area on a regular basis, they don't seem to have any trouble.
It's pretty much what you get used to......I switched up from a 1801 CC a few years ago and won't even consider giving up my cabin now.

I have the 2520SLD 21degree hull and would not trade it for the MV hull. I fish it all from LTJ to trolling to eeling,. Bay and Ocean. I keep it in Lynn-Haven in the Hi and Dry at Virginia Beach so I do see all water conditions. With the 9.6 beam I do not think the boat rolls while drifting. JMO

Back