Best Paint for Aluminum Door Frame

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulH / Emily S

Reaction score
My pilot house door frame needs help.

I plan or grinding down the old paint, which has blistered with some light corrosion underneath.

Any one have a good recommendation for a new coating ?

Some sought of Epoxy would seem to be called for.

I did the same project several years ago. I used Rust-o-leum paint. I was able to get a shade of white which matched fairly well and have not had to do any touch up in 3 years.

I too just used some Rust-Oleum on an aluminum skiff and it worked slick! But I prepped the aluminum first, using Interlux's 2-part epoxy-based aluminum etching primer. That is an expen$ive way to do it, but it was for the bottom of an aluminum skiff that will be moored in saltwater for the season, so I went for the best option. BTW, that etching primer ws just step 1 of a 3-step coating process for the running bottom, multiple coats per step too ... lots of painting!

But when I bought the paint, I noticed Rust-Oleum makes a primer for aluminum. Whereas you're putting on a surface that had a finish on it, I would try their primer.

SRLtxAlumPrimQT_L.jpg

I did use their gloss white on the aluminum hull topsides (over a previously painted and sanded surface) and it looks great!

Latest posts

Back