Best trim tabs for a 2530 with twin 200s

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mako dog

Reaction score
Mako dog
Post subject: Best trim tabs for 2530 running around southern ca channelsPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 6:20 pm

The stock trim tabs do not work, can't get bow to come down. I mess withe the twin outboards for a little help. But still rides high, add a 2 to 3 foot santa Anna wind chop and it's painful. Looking for advice on the right trim tabs.

Thanks Will

Visit the Bennett Trim Tabs sight. They have helpful diagrams to choose the right size. basically, you want to put on the widest pair the boat will handle according to their guidelines regarding distance from chine and motors. What size do you have now?

Mako dog":1x2s0ppf said:
The stock trim tabs do not work, can't get bow to come down. I mess withe the twin outboards for a little help. But still rides high, add a 2 to 3 foot santa Anna wind chop and it's painful. Looking for advice on the right trim tabs.

If you have the stock tabs, they are probably 12x12.
I put 24 (wide) by 9 (deep) on my 2520 with a single outboard, and you should be good with that size even with twins.
I would start there, and go bigger if you can.

http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com

Attachments

• tabs1.jpg
    tabs1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 311
  • tabs2.jpg
    tabs2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 311
  • tabs3.jpg
    tabs3.jpg
    411.1 KB · Views: 311
  • tabs4.jpg
    tabs4.jpg
    457.4 KB · Views: 311
Bennet says tabs should be 3-4 inches from the chine and 8 inches from the center of drive of the closest motor

kidfreediver":309684h1 said:
No way ... !

One should always go as WIDE as one can and preferably only 9" deep. I saw what you did cutting your tabs down and to me that was a big mistake.

28" x 9 tabs will give one better performance than 20x12s. DEEPER (longer) planes projecting off the hull co$t you efficiency and miles-per-gallon and I have proved it by running identical boats, both with fuel computers with direct MPG readout. 12" deep planes easily rob you of 20% performance, if not more!

Given the staying 8" away from the motor, I'd buy 36" wide (by 9" deep) planes and would even cut them to 34", 32", 30" or even 28" width if needed.

Trim tabs work by causing lift, but a by-product of that lift is drag. To minimize drag - go WIDER ... not DEEPER. Remember this boys, with trim tabs, it's the width that counts, not the length ;) .

kidfreediver":3giplhzg said:
Boats that have brackets always should have 12" length. If where looking for effiency it will be the one who gets out of the whole quicker
You missed the point, when running equal boats in seas, the bost with the wider trim tabs could dial in at least a 20% improvement in MPG vs the boat with the less-wide and deeper 12" tabs.

One might only be getting on plane once and then cruising for 20+ miles in the sea ... and that is where wider tabs give you the benefit. Tested and proven.

Brent":5qbxsorm said:
What is rule to determine optimal width?

Not certain that there is a rule (though Tabman might disagree). :)
Typically, wider is better. "If it fits, it ships". :D
We have had one member here on the eastern shore of VA who put a set of 30x9's on his 2520XL (16 degree) and he reported excellent results.

I have 24x9's on my MVSC (14 degree) and I can also attest that she performs well.
So well in fact that in particularly rough seas one day in the mouth of the Choptank, I was able to stay on plane at 9kts headed into a 25kt blow.
I was double thankful for the protection of the pilothouse that day.

When going with big tabs you do need to be conscious of sea conditions and adjust your tabs appropriately.
Tabs UP in following seas, especially when running an inlet.
The same benefits you get with those big flippers in normal conditions, can work against you big time in the wrong conditions.

I'm convinced it is for that very reason that Parker puts 12x12 tabs on at the factory.
It's likely to keep the uninformed from hurting themselves. :wink:

Brent":279nfgg5 said:
When everyone states width they mean span? Same for depth the correct term is chord

Correct. It's because most folks don't know the terms 'span' and 'chord'.

from Bennett

When to Use a 12" Chord
The 9" chord is used in most applications. However, in certain circumstances the 12" chord may be more effective:

Limited Transom Space - Boats with twin outboards or twin I/Os, or boats with transom configurations that limit trim tab span, can use 12" chord tabs to achieve maximum lift. Using the measuring guideline above, fit the maximum span tab and use the 12" chord. see http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/trimtabk ... D=1#numbot

Extra Lift - Slower boats (less than 15 mph), semi-displacement hulls, boats over 50 feet, outboard brackets or boats with any other feature that increases the need for lift aft benefit from the 12" chord. The 12" chord provides greater surface area, thereby utilizing more water flow and providing more lift.

Brent":24b8j9jy said:
Thanks. If installing today wow you use straight edge tabs or ones with bat wings?....

The 'bat wings' are typically seen on the smaller M80 and M120 tabs to give a little more lift in the limited transom space available on smaller boats.
At one time, you could buy bolt-on 'bat wings' from Bennett to put on any size or manufacturers tabs. Not certain if they still sell them tho.

I would stick with straight, flat planes for larger vessels.

Yes exactly Brent finally reasoning if there was to be an exact configuration of trim tabs adding from both size I believe with surface area, span and chord I truly believe that if a mistake was made on my part it would be the span but then I have spent 20 years in the seas over here with confident captains if there was the right trim tab for a 2520 or 2530 depicted on a 14, 16, or 21 degree dead rise I would think 26-28 x 12 would cover the arrange of voices we here lets all start from here a take off I'll go first and give a reading of what a 14 degree 2 stroke will give a 2530 for gas mileage and also how fast out of the hull while traveling in a consist sea of 7x8 with wind chops

Thanks for all the great feedback. My 2530 is the deep v 16 dead rise . It has the stock 12x12 tabs on it. I have 2 200 2 stroke Yamaha's on a bracket. She has a hard time getting her bow down. 9x 24 or 12 x 20 sounds like they would be an improvement. I'm all ears. Thanks guys for the help.

Will self

Mako dog":jblqwru5 said:
Thanks for all the great feedback. My 2530 is the deep v 16 dead rise . It has the stock 12x12 tabs on it. I have 2 200 2 stroke Yamaha's on a bracket. She has a hard time getting her bow down. 9x 24 or 12 x 20 sounds like they would be an improvement.
You want 9" chord (depth/projection off the hull) by as wide (span) as you can fit, but staying inside of any reverse chine and 8" away from the motor.

I would think 9" by 30"+ would be ideal. Do not get 12" ones, they'll kill your MPG.

Back