BEST VHF RADIO ANTENNA TO BUY?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tweendeck

Reaction score
I am in the process of installing a new Standard Horizon GX5000s VHF radio on my new 2310. I know this question has probably been asked a thousand times, But what is the best type of antenna to use? I am looking at the digital model 529 antenna and the Shakespeare Galaxy 5225XT. I will be installing the antenna on top of the hardtop and the radio will be mounted inside the electronics box just under the hardtop. I know the digital antennas cost a little more but to me that's not really an issue. I feel in today's world you get what you pay for. With that being said, Any information as to what type or brand antenna to buy would be GREATLY APPRECEAITED. Thanks, Tweendeck.

I have a pair of the Galaxy antennas mounted on the hard top of my 2510. One is used and the other is a spare (I once broke an antenna going under a bridge). The Galaxy seems to do very well for me.

Dave

aka

I've had great service from my 8' Digital.

Image-0EC425A1F14A11D8.jpg

FWIW Shakespeare Galaxy model VHF antennas outperformed Digital antennas in one of the last Powerboat Report testing issues. For what I see people paying $$$ for Digital antennas :shock: , to me they're way overpriced for getting mediocre performance. To me they are "digital" in name only, a marketing ploy to me, as none have ever tested 'excellent' to me, even $150 ones :( . I've even seen new ones with poor performance that had to be sent back. Now my own independent testing below on > 30 boats at my boatclub over the past 3 seasons also confirms that the best performing antennas I ever have personally seen have been the Shakespeare Galaxy 5225 models. And the prices on them from Jim & Beth @ BOE Marine cannot be beat!

VHF BASICS:
Just remember guys, with VHF radio transmissions, it is all about HEIGHT! The transmission range for VHF marine radios is effectively limited by the curvature of the earth and antenna height, so the higher you mount your antenna on your boat, the further you will be able to communicate.

Since VHF transmissions are line-of-sight, there is a mathematical equation to help determine the line-of-sight distance, but this calculation needs to account for both the transmitting and receiving boat, generally taking the measurement from the top of the antenna to the waterline. The equation is the square root of (1.42 x antenna height).

Examples:
* Boat with 12’ antenna, the line-of-sight distance to the horizon is ~4.2 miles
* Boat with 18’ antenna, the line-of-sight distance to the horizon is ~5 miles
* Land-based station with 100’ antenna, their line-of-sight distance to the horizon is 12 miles
The maximum theoretical distance that the two boats can communicate is 9.1 miles (4.2 + 5). The maximum theoretical distance the boat with the higher antenna can communicate with the tower is 17 miles (12 + 5).

Antenna gain will not increase this distance, however it will make a marginal signal stronger. Environmental conditions, islands that obstruct the line-of-sight, weather conditions such as rain or fog, can all affect the distance the signal travels. While there is temporal weather phenomena such as atmospheric ducting that can act like a conduit for longer distance communications, it is not reliable. Even though you may clearly hear such a ducted transmission, you may be able to be heard or engage in effective 2-way communication.

Recommendations for VHF Set:
In recent Powerboat Reports testing, Standard Horizon units outperformed Icoms as a whole. BOE Marine (www.boemarine.com) sells the S-H Quest model with DSC (emergency calling) and position request/send for ~$140 in white or black. You can get as fancy as you want. Now if running a newer technology GPS with ability to read the “e” part of a coded DSC sentence, you may want to check for compatibility with your GPS maker. Some have the ability to display on the GPS screen (automatically or it will prompt you to accept) the boat asking for or sending out a DSC“e” message. Did I lose you ;) there?

Recommendations for VHF Antenna:
I tell you guys, I have one of those VHF test (SWR) meters and have tested over 30 boats in the past 3 years for those at the boat club where I’ve been boating for 40+ years.

167-ART2.jpg

Without a doubt, THE BEST PERFORMING radios were using 8’ Shakespeare Galaxy antennas of either the 5225-XT ($97) or 5225-XP ($109) series. There is also a $129 FLT model with advanced filtering capability that is said to eliminate more static and to provide a clearer receiving signal. Now those prices are from BOE Marine again and they are about the lowest prices you will find anywhere! I have a marine wholesale account and from my jobber, the cheapest price I can get on the XT antenna above is $125.

The output power on the best antennas I've tested was > 25-watts as per the test meter and all also had the lowest SWR readings of all antennas and VHF sets tested. The top 5 performers were all using Shakespeare Galaxy model VHF antennas, with the sets being mostly Std-Horizons and a few Icoms. Now, here is the best part. All of the top set/antennas tested were also using the new gold-plated solderless “Centerpin” connections also made by Shakespeare, see below. If you're happy with your existing VHF set, but are not sure all transmissions are heard, by all means try these connectors, they’re < $10 and I’ve seen them improve marginal performance to very good performance (as tested by the in-line test meter). I ended up fixing/repairing sets/antennas or wiring on 6 boats one season and most just needed the new connector or antenna.

SHA-8706.jpg

I am not fancy but I have been pleased with the performance of the digital antenna with my VHF. I can talk to people a long way away. I dont notice any performance difference between it and the Shakespeare I used to own. Probably splitting hairs.

Got to agree with the 5225 XT choice. Have them on my Parker, also use them on the high speed ferry and the harbormaster boats. One afternoon on the ferry I heard the chief harbormaster on the city boat 15 miles away up the bay; clear as a bell. 8)

Back