Beware of gas siphoning / consider getting locking gas cap.

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Themis

Reaction score
Just a warning to my Barnegat Bay brethren. (applies to most places with more of a summer population as well). I filled my boat with gas to 7/8 full as I always do in December. I splashed her last week. I ran her about 15 minutes in the bay, noting the fuel guage still showed over 3/4 full.

Fast forward to yesterday. I was down for the weekend and wanted to go for a nice ride with my daughter, and fishing in the afternoon with my sons. Foiled I was; nearly all my gas was gone. My only explanation is that with the economy being what it is, and gas costing what it does, there are bad dudes looking for guys who splash, tie up in their own canal at their docks, and take advantage of the fact that people are not around in force. Her gas was siphoned off, and her cap was loose.

Be wary of the "splash your boat" threads on forums. Consider a locking gas cap. By the way, I wouldn't mind as much if someone stole food or money from me, as I would generally shrug, take pity, and think they must need it badly. But boat gas? Boats are a luxury. Ticks me off. Wanting to fish or boat is not the same as needing to feed your own.

Thats terrible...They did this in a canal, or a marina?.
I just brought my boat over to the marina on Sat. (Manasquan River Club). I guess I will have to buy a locking cap.
Hope the guy got a mouth full of gas.

Scott

As low as the tank is in my 2320, I don't think it would be possible to siphon gas. You would have to pump it out. I'm guessing that's true for most or all Parkers.

Note, the above only applies to a boat in the water. I'm guessing Themis' was on a trailer, lift or rack when it got drained.

On Wednesday past she was docked behind my house on the canal full of gas. On Sunday she was 1/8 full with a loose cap.

To do list:

Locking cap
Remote cameras.
Gun.

Look up locking gas caps, lot of places carry one from Perko. I haven't seen one personally yet.

There's another thread running on them too.

Here's one link, I don't recall if this is the trick or not, I have to go back to the other thread. My first look is the rotating key cover may not be watertight??

http://www.iboats.com/Perko_Locking_Gas ... w_id.39393

Dana

Anyone remember back in the 70's when we had the first "gas crisis" and they sold a variety of devices that fit into your gas tank fill pipe to prevent siphoning? These devices were either conical shaped screens or springs that allowed gas to be poured into your tank, but prevented hoses from being stuffed down into the tank to siphon.

Any idea if they still sell these? Don't they come OEM on some makes of cars still?

......(or did I just have another senior moment and imagine this whole thing? :oops: :oops: )

This one has been quiet.

Anyone have experience using the locking Perko cap directly?

I may need one.

Dana

Put the Perko cap on last year. Works fine IF you keep it lubed up. The keyhole cover seems watertite.

The way I see it, if they really want your gas, they'll take it if you have a locking gas cap or not. All they really have to do is pop open a deck hatch.

I actually witnessed someone steal three 6-gallon jugs of gas from another boat this weekend. I asked him why he was doing it, and he said that boat has a seized engine, and it doesn't matter if it has gas or not.

And the best part, after he was done, he asked me if its easy to access my tank on my boat.

This was in broad daylight too.

bigeye2k":3mm2abdc said:
96TL you should have called the cops.

I know that would've been the right thing to do, but without me personally pointing him out to the cops, there really isn't any proof.

Do I really want to make an enemy with someone who's slip is right across from me? Probably not the smartest idea.

I can't wait till my wedding date gets closer and we start looking at some waterfront properties. Having the boat in my backyard is a dream to me. All this marina BS will be gone.

O would have beat the piss out of him and threw his ass in the water!!!Well i know where i park there are a few guys there that that guy would have no hands and cement shoes on his list!!! It is true it is not worth calling the cops cause they wont do crap about it anyway!!

Back