BIG benefit of HUGE trim tabs on a boat ...

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaleH

FOUNDER of Classic Parker Forum
Reaction score
1st off remember, ALL tabs work on the principle that by causing 'drag', you also create lift on that side of the hull. Therefore larger (in width or span across the hull) trim tab create lift more efficiently than do small 12" wide or so tab planes.

But another benefit is a much reduced planing speed without totally sacrificing fuel economy. Look at just how slow I was able to keep the boat on plane and still achieve almost 2MPG!

Attachments

• Low-Planning-Speed.JPG
    Low-Planning-Speed.JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 573
I don't recall my fuel burn, but I ran out of the Choptank River into the Chesapeake with a 25 kt wind on my bow a couple of years ago.
With 24x9 Bennets, I was able to run at 9 kts and still stay on plane... and no pounding.

It was a slow ride, but the pilothouse kept us dry. 8)

This is just the info I have been looking for. I have 12x18 tabs on my inboard 2520 DV and have been contemplating going up to 9x30s. I'm trying to stay on plane at a lower rpm to save fuel. I think I'm going to order up the new tabs. Thanks!

TWOBOATER":39kyfmk7 said:
This is just the info I have been looking for. I have 12x18 tabs on my inboard 2520 DV and have been contemplating going up to 9x30s. I'm trying to stay on plane at a lower rpm to save fuel. I think I'm going to order up the new tabs. Thanks!
That should do it! Mine are Bennett 9x24s and I wish I had put 30s on, not that it needs them, but the boat would be even more responsive and efficiency would be further improved.

We have a member in the lower Chesapeake (CBBT area) with 30x9 Bennetts on his 2520XL, so they should easily fit on your inboard since you have a 'clean' transom without a bracket to get in the way.
I think you would see a huge increase in adjustability and performance.

I have a 2530 and love it. I have the original trim tabs on it. The bow rides high with no way of burying the bow in 2 to 3 foot chop. Any info would help me.

Thanks will

Back