Bilge Pumps not so new topic

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sully

Reaction score
I know we have talked about this topic before
However I'm contemplating a bilge pump up grade
And have a few questions for a few opinions

The set up I have now is a "Rule 1500 with a Rule-A-Matic bilge pump float switches # 35 "
with a 1 1/8 discharge
And don't be hating on the guy I haven't got my spring cleaning done yet :wink:

What I'm looking at is ( 2 Rule 2000 model 10 ) sane discharge size 1 1/8
2 Water Witch model 101 and a Water Witch BP500 alarm

http://store.waterpumpsupply.com/runo12vodcbi5.html
http://waterwitchinc.com/online_cart/in ... ducts_id=5
http://waterwitchinc.com/online_cart/in ... ucts_id=16

As you can see in the photo in the bilge of the 2120 there is limited space
I have about 9 inches in the flat part of the bilge
I need Min 8 for two pumps ( Is this two tight for 2 pumps ) will they suck to much off each other?
Should I just go with one and the switch and alarm and be done with it ??
And any comments or suggestion on Bilge pump make or model would be welcome

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Bilge.JPG
    Bilge.JPG
    225.2 KB · Views: 868
Bryan 2530":3g97kgn6 said:
I know Megabyte has 2 in there.

He has a 2520 MVSC 'Chesapeake Edition'
I have a 2120 DVSC little different! :roll:

This Johnson model has a switch clipped to side that is auto and might save some space for you mounting ideas.

Attachments

• bildge pump.jpg
    bildge pump.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 850
Simple ... mount your STORM pump HIGHER than the other pump and you're all set!

RAINWATER/Primary Pump (Auto): I'd put this 1250 gph pump in as your 'rainwater' pump, http://www.surplusunlimited.com/mm5/mer ... gory_Code= Item # 6995. It is made for Marpac by Johnson Pumps. Johnson Pumps were the highest rated pumps ever tested by from Powerboard Reports. This one has the electronic switch (no float switch!) installed.

Backup/STORM Pump (Auto): I'd buy at least one 2200gph output bilge/storm pump by Johnson Pumps, User selectable with either the 1-1/8" or 1-1/2" discharge (bigger is better), as this pump was rated THE 'Best Buy' from Powerboard Reports testing. It costs < $90 @ Surplus Unlimited of FL.
Link = http://www.surplusunlimited.com/mm5/mer ... gory_Code=
Item # 2210. For best results, and if an offshore boat, I'd plumb the outlet for the storm pump out the other side of the hull.

I have never gotten the length of service out of a Rule pump that I have out of Johnson brand! My brother had one 14-years old (pressure washdown) and it was only the pressure switch that went ... the pump was still fine ... as compared to Shruflo pumps that crap out in years.

Use electronic bilge pump switches (Johnson makes them too) or buy the Marpac pumps (made by Johnson) that have the no-moving-parts field effect switches built in. I have Johnson pumps to 8-years old installed and they work flawlessly, as does their high water alarm. To date I've installed 8 or more auto Johnson pumps so far ... between my boats, my brothers', and the 2 skiffs our boatclub has. They are bulletproof and reliable.

TIP: Coat any butt connector ends (used in the bilge) with 3M 5200, then seal them up with adhesive-lined heatshrink that cover > 1X the length of the connector on each side of the wire entering the connector.

I have a pair of the Rule 2000's and Water Witch 101 switches...
I have the switches set up so that the one in the rear is the primary, and the forward pump is the backup.

They do not run at the same time. If the primary fails for whatever reason, the backup takes over.
It takes a bit more water to activate the backup pump, but fine tuning the switches is simple with the Water Witch 101's.

web.jpg

High Water alarm on the right and bilge pump counters on the left.

web.jpg

Sully":37tsw1ik said:
I am leaning now to (2) Johnson 2200GPH
For rainwater and deck water that makes it to the bilge, a 2K+ pump of any brand is overkill. Dayum good backup if the waste matter ever hits the ventilators, but overkill just the same. That said, my perspective is admittedly biased as I have almost 5K of gph pumping in the stern alone ... haha! But I use a 1250gph for rainwater and wash water removal.

Sully":37tsw1ik said:
Now I have to drill another 1 1/8 hole for the second pump :shock:
If installing at least 1 of them for a STORM pump, you'd be crazy not to take advantage of the 1-1/2" exit ... and plumb it out the other side of the hull. If your boat heels to the port side, where I am 'assuming' your existing pump exits now, if well heeled to that side when full of water ... your pumping capacity will soon be zero ...

DaleH":9n41j5io said:
Sully":9n41j5io said:
I am leaning now to (2) Johnson 2200GPH
For rainwater and deck water that makes it to the bilge, a 2K+ pump of any brand is overkill. Dayum good backup if the waste matter ever hits the ventilators, but overkill just the same. That said, my perspective is admittedly biased as I have almost 5K of gph pumping in the stern alone ... haha! But I use a 1250gph for rainwater and wash water removal.

Sully":9n41j5io said:
Now I have to drill another 1 1/8 hole for the second pump :shock:
If installing at least 1 of them for a STORM pump, you'd be crazy not to take advantage of the 1-1/2" exit ... and plumb it out the other side of the hull. If your boat heels to the port side, where I am 'assuming' your existing pump exits now, if well heeled to that side when full of water ... your pumping capacity will soon be zero ...

Good advice
I have my nephew who is a marine mechanic
Who does all my work for me coming over and taking a look at it this weekend
He also suggested setting one on the same shelve as the Oil injector tank is on as the backup
But he also said if I need that much pump capacity for a 2120SC
He said I probably be already swimming with the Epirb in my hand by then
I just always think of that notch transom and Its time to change out the pump now anyway
Little extra capacity wouldn't hurt

Thanks again everybody for the input
Ill post picks when Im done

Something I've discovered in the past year after installing my bilge pump counters...

While it seemed like a great idea at the time, my bilge stays pretty dry most of the time.
The counters almost always read zero, which is a good thing.
The not so good thing, is that the counters constantly poll the pump circuits looking for an activation.
That constant polling uses power.

The only time I plug my battery charger in is if I'm expecting a hurricane, a nor-easter, or an extended rain event.
The rest of the time, the AGM's just sit quietly.

My thought is that these bilge counters would be an excellent thing on a larger boat, especially one that is always plugged into shore power.
On my boat, it's a neat feature... but a little overkill.

YMMV... 8)

I was thinking the same thing on the automatic bilge pumps that start up every 2.5 min to check for water
I don't have a shore power connection to keep everything charged up that's why I like the auto switch

On another note:
What 90' deg thru hull fittings do you like the best???
I was thinking Stainless but not set on it I have a stock nylon on now
But not sure what brand
Any suggestions?

Sully":o4lqth4h said:
On another note:
What 90' deg thru hull fittings do you like the best???
I was thinking Stainless but not set on it I have a stock nylon on now, but not sure what brand.
Any suggestions?
That same website I posted above, Surplus Unlimited, has stainless steel thru-hulls. They also sell thru-hulls with a SS cap, but the body is nylon. I've bought a TON of stuff from them through the years, best prices and fast delivery!

1-1/8" size is only $10., see http://www.surplusunlimited.com/mm5/mer ... gory_Code=

Use their SEARCH feature and enter "thru-hull", then just flip page by page, using the NEXT button, bottom right ...

Back