bottom paint problems?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pboettger

Reaction score
Three years ago, I had my 1990 25 ft cc parker bottom stripped down to the gel coat, new barrier coat put on, and coated with high quality ablative anti-fouling paint at Pamlico Boat and Fiberglass Repair. Cost was about $1200. Got 2 seasons in the water out of it, early May through mid November, ran about 80 hours per year. Had it done a year ago by Park Boat Company, and requested it be stripped down to the barrier coat, then recoated with ablative anti-fouling paint. Cost was $1000. Same use for another season last year. After one season with the new coat there are multiple places where patches of pain have come off, down to the barrier coat (blue) and the gel coat (white). It is also obvious that the last coat was put on over the previous coat. So I did the best I could and touched it up with Interlux Act II. I feel like this is a poor performance and that short cuts were taken. Seems like alot of money literally falling off the hull. Am I being unrealistic? How long should the average anti-fouling paint job last? Shouldn't it stripped down to the barrier coat each time? Does anyone know of someone who can do a good job in Eastern NC?

Peter Boettger
Greenville, NC

How was it stripped the first time by hand or soda-blasting? A properly stripped, primed, and painted bottom should last for 10 plus years anyway, longer with an ablative paint. If it's failing down to the gelcoat it wasn't prepared correctly-i.e. de-waxed and sanded. If the bottom paint is well-adhered there is no reason to strip the bottom again.

Back