Bunk trailer help

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the trailer that was under my 2520 MVSC when I bought it. It was rated at 10,000#'s.
I sold the trailer after buying the boat and have wet slipped the boat ever since.

Image-D1988E9F744911D8.jpg

Guys,

Sorry for the long delay -- don't want anybody to think I don't appreciate the advice. Just don't have internet access here at our house on the Cape (my wife thought I'd spend to much time working...).

I plan to try the soap trick and will let you know if it works. Other than that I think it might be that the ramp was just too shallow that day, because the trailer is set up properly (the dealer sells ventures and parkers).

Thanks again!

Holy smokes, just got my bunk today. The top of the bunks are like up to my crotch. I am going to need like 3' of water just to sink those things...

I do have slick bunks so I can save my Pam for cookin :shock:

B-Faithful":3iw8r6by said:
hmm. I have a feeling I will be selling a venture bunk trailer fairly soon. I have a feeling I am going to really regret insisting upon a roller

No...I don't think so. I've found the roller trailer very versatile at many ramps. Some are steep, some are shallow, some are tilted. I'll put a bunk trailer under the little woodie (because rollers on a wooden boat, can deform the hull), but for the big 25' Parker, a roller trailer is the cat's meow.

Dave

aka

I agree with you Dave, I would much prefer the roller. I may have talked my dad into swaping trailers during the summer if my bunk doesnt work out as he launches one time a year. Here is my 4x4 trailer I picked up today

Attachments

• trailer.JPG
    trailer.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 327
Wow! Seems a little high? Maybe you can lower it once the boat is built. Is it supposed to be set up all ready?

Nice looking fenders. Vantage? is that Venture? Looks nicer than my EZ-Loader no rust? I paid extra for that.

Unfortunately a line by Venture. It is very high. Judge will have to adjust. Due to the aggressiveness of the wharped hull the bunks have to be high according to Dave's Trailers. I called to get a quote on a roller from them and when I told them it was for a judge they said they only sell bunks due to the hull shape. I found it funny as they sold the trailer to the previous owner of my dad's 27 Judge :? . Here is how they sit on the trailer I got. Mine just doesnt have a bent fender yet.. :lol:

Looks like only steep ramps for me. :cry:

Attachments

• trailer2.jpg
    trailer2.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 306
B-Faithful":r7e424bn said:
Unfortunately a line by Venture. It is very high. Judge will have to adjust. Due to the aggressiveness of the wharped hull the bunks have to be high according to Dave's Trailers. I called to get a quote on a roller from them and when I told them it was for a judge they said they only sell bunks due to the hull shape. I found it funny as they sold the trailer to the previous owner of my dad's 27 Judge :? . Here is how they sit on the trailer I got. Mine just doesnt have a bent fender yet.. :lol:

Looks like only steep ramps for me. :cry:

Maybe they had issues with the rollers??? Maybe the problem is the steep angle of the bow hits the cross members when loading so they raise the bunks. I cannot see from the picture but it looks like plenty of clearance on the fenders? the keel may be close to the cross members. You may just need a keel roller and lower the bunks?? need to see from behind. Are they drop axles? that may help as well. Lower the better....trailering and launching.

Any reason you didnt get an Aluminum trailer? Probably could have saved 600 or more pounds on a trailer that size, and they do not rust which is important since, as you say, it will be backed pretty deep in to the water.

Judge gave me an oversized trailer. (VBT-7400) it is a 7400lb capacity trailer with 15" tires though I think I could have gotten away with 6400lb.

4500lb boat
600lb motor
700lb fuel
600lb misc and gear
6400 lbs total would have been fine by me.

They are drop axles and not straight. I may be able to lower the bunks a notch or two as it has yet to be adjusted. It is a leaf spring trailer and I am not a big fan of the venture trailer. For value trailers I think 5 Star is hard to beat. It does have the optional slick bunks. I fear it will be a pain to get teh boat on straight so I am adding some guides.

Guide poles are very helpful for getting the boat on the trailer squarely.

Image-7FE333800D9911D8.jpg

Kev, you will have to help me master the bunk! :D I want you to show me at my community ramp and not cushy SPSP 8)

B-Faithful":2zxf423g said:
Kev, you will have to help me master the bunk! :D I want you to show me at my community ramp and not cushy SPSP 8)

Not a problem! :wink:

Okay, final report from our vacation on Care Cod: I bought the right trailer. The first bad experience, when Ripple seemed velcroed to the bunk carpet, was due to low tide, not enough slope to the ramp and not enough trailer in the water. Great advice here, particularly about getting the rear tires of the tow vehicle wet and making sure that the trailer is far enough in so the boat starts to float off the bunks.

Loading is pretty easy, since I now know exactly where she's supposed to sit over the fenders (although I'll confess to bending one of them just a tad...) Guide posts would help a little, but the whole set-up is wide enough as it is and I don't feel like adding any more advertising to the fact that I'm rolling down America's highways with a wide load that's about a foot over the legal limit... The trailer actually came with guide posts but I took 'em off. I'm thinking of bringing them with me, and if it's really windy when it's time to haul the boat out just bolting them on as needed.

The drum brakes worked fine, but I'd like to know what the best way to keep them working is. I know that a good set of Kodiak disc brakes would be ideal, but they are not in the budget right now.

Any thoughts, hints, tricks or suggestions on maintaing the drums?

I drool with envy looking at your beautiful bunk trailers! If mine was swappable I'd do it a heartbeat!

Rinse! Rinse is the method I use to maintain my drum brakes! Get a washdown spray kit from your trailer manufacturer or after market vendor. Get the Salt-Away kit and use it every time to eliminate any salt buildup. It will keep your drums and trailer looking good three times longer. Seal all the light/wire connections with liquid electrical tape and keep an eye on those galvanized bolts. Some will rust quickly for some unknown reason. Replace the ones that seem to get hit hard before they become difficult to remove.

I hate roller trailers... I hate trailers.... I love Parkers. I spend more time fussing over the trailer to keep it on the road than I do on the care of the boat. GRRRR!!! :x

Just ordered my tandem trailer. 9800 lbs capacity, aluminum, all stainless hardware, center cut bunks, torsion axles, uprights, diamond plate fenders, front center boards, cadium disc brakes, foot jack, 10k lbs winch, D rated 15" tires, spare tire, led lights. $4100. Don't know if that's a good deal or not but it was cheaper than Continental, Loadmaster, Quickload.

Made in Tampa by a custom builder.

Hated doing it, given I'll only use it during hurricane season but, I was amazed at the lack of supply in the used market (unless it was rusted junk).

Sounds like excellent specs and a decent price!
Post a photo or two so we can see that bad boy. :)

My 7400lb galvanzed trailer with drum brakes, leaf springs diamond fenders cost judge 4000.00 (I saw the receipt when I picked up the trailer) you got a good deal.

Trailers are cheaper in Florida than up north here. I purchased a trailer in Florida from a custom builder and paid him to deliver it 1200 miles and it was still way cheaper than anything close to it around here. 9800 is probably the GVW, subtract the weight of the trailer to get the carring capacity. Probably aroung 1800lbs for the trailer would leave you 8000 for your boat. Nice size for a 25'-28' Parker.

Latest posts

Back