Bunks or rollers .................

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hannibal

Reaction score
Still working on improving the "Rinny Ray" (lots of small things being done this winter under tarp - I need to take some pics) .......

Anyhow .............

I initially posted a question a few weeks back about bottom paint and was intending on taking it down to a semi-local marina for some minor things. While there, they were going to quote me on a rough sand/touch up of the existing bottom paint. The plan was to get that done and while the boat was off the trailer - I wanted to do something with the rollers.

The trailer is old ......... I think late 80's and we've done some major upkeep/repairs to it when we got it. All in all, it's in pretty good condition. We never touched the rollers and I think they are a problem. I have a elecrtic winch on the trailer and even with it, pulling the boat onto the trailer is a son-of-a-bitch. I literally get nervous being near that cable as I fear it may one day snap.

With rollers, I feel it takes far too much effort to load the boat. I've seen others load their boat with a hand winch onto bunks with much less effort.

This leads me to believe that some/most of my rollers are seized or not performing as they should. This makes sense as I know I haven't done much/any maintenance on them (honestly, until recently - I didn't think much was required). I've also noticed wear marks on the bottom of the boat where the bottom paint is being worn down - further leading me to think the boat is dragging across the rollers vs. rolling over them.

In reading, it appears that replacing the rollers is more expensive but not by a terrible amount. Maybe servicing them is far less. In any regard, they probably need a re-adjustment/alignment.

I've often wished for bunks just believing they would help center the boat on the trailer. I have a terrible time getting the boat centered and sometimes even leveled on the trailer (due to the placement of the rollers?).

I do most of my boating on the Patuxent River and into the Bay around Solomons. It's tidal. Not huge and not a terrible amount of current. I know that my point some people in a direction when considering bunks.

All in all - I guess I am asking for some input. The cost seems to be negligeable between the two options so that is a relative non-factor. I am just curious as to people's experiences and preferences and the reasons for them. This is the only boat/trailer I've owned so I have no basis for comparison.

Thanks.

Bunks you float your boat on and off the trailer as you may well know. Roller trailers are great if you find yourself at a ramp with shallow water, not enough to get the trailer under a floating boat. Once the boat is off the trailer take a good look at it, it might not be as bad as you think just check all the rollers. Do you best to get them alighned to the the hull of your boat. I had a roller trailer on my scarab center console and loved it, drive the boat right up the trailer once you get the hang of it. Most importantly if you have not already done this, please check the bearings and the breaks to insure they are in great condition and install a set of bearing buddys. Good luck Mike

I've had both too. I don't really have a preference. I always found the rollers easier to load a deep V hull at shallow ramps but other than that there's not much advantage. Probably a little more maintenance on a roller but it's easy to replace rollers when needed..

B-Faithful":2j5pcxll said:
bunks with poly slicks...

Parker only wants "Bunks" if you call them :roll:

I vote bunks with the poly skid tops that's what I use works great!
I trailer and slip about 50/50 depending on cash flow
I have a 1 ton E350 and the bunks give me no problem
Just don't be afraid of putting the trailer in the water

Common sense tells you that there is more friction loading and unloading a boat from a bunk trailer verses a roller trailer. I've had both. Check your rollers. One or more are frozen up. If you have keel rollers, just one of them frozen can create mooch-o drag. I have rollers and I WD-40 the center of each one every other time I use it.JMO.........and I don't like the idea of submerging axles fully in saltwater every time you drive on and off.

Hannibal,
The first couple of times I launched my 2520XL I had a terrible time loading and un-loading. It would not roll off, and it wouldn"t load straight. Nearly the same as you described. The 23SE I had was almost too easy to get on and off my roller trailer. Knowing that this 2520 is much heavier, I had a feeling it would take more effort to get this one loaded. I took a hard look at how the trailer was set up. The rollers had not been adjusted to the boat. The rollers were trying to walk over the edge of the strakes. This was just like having a bad roller. I made some adjustment to the rear gangs and man what a difference it made. Now my winch pulls it up with little effort, and perfectly straight every time. I usually load and unload by myself. With the ramps that I use, I hardly have to wet my trailer. Just inspected my wheel bearings today, and they were tight, full of grease, and no water contamination. Yes, winching on and off may take a little longer, but my trailer will stay looking new with minimum maintenance. The trailer under my 23SE looked like brand new when I traded It for this one. One thing to add, is that the bottom of my boat is not painted, and I have the yellow non-marking rollers. I'll try to get some photos showing my roller setup. I had talked to Joe at Parker, and he did not favor either the bunk or roller trailer. He only stated to me to make sure the rollers or bunks are positioned properly, and that no roller should have more that 150 pounds when sitting on the trailer.

Charlie,
Eden, Maryland

Back