buying a 1997 23' parker pilot house

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petecandy

Reaction score
i looked a a nice 23' parker today, it has been sitting or 2 years, but seems o.k., two things got my attention, 1. was when i lifted th middle bulge cover the water in it smelled of gas.i can't figure out why??? 2. wh is the best way to check out the motor, there is no hour meter, motor is a 97, 225 yamaha v-6 salt water series with fuel injection. it looks clean . thanks in advance for all help... :shock: :shock: waht would be a good price...

1. was when i lifted th middle bulge cover the water in it smelled of gas.i can't figure out why???

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You need to figure that out before you make an offer. The tank is probably leaking. Could be as simple as the gasket around the gauge sending unit OR could be a bad tank.

Some people believe that an aluminum, tank is go for only about 10 years, personally they can and will last longer but you don't know the history of this boat. Especially if there has been Ethanol in Phase separation sitting at the bottom of the tank for two years.

I would investigate a lot further.

If you are serious about the boat, find a good surveyor or good qualified independent repair shop to go over the boat good. Have them come with a moisture meter and prepared to check the fuel tanks and lines to the best they can.

petecandy":3ak6b7b2 said:
2. wh is the best way to check out the motor, there is no hour meter, motor is a 97, 225 yamaha v-6 salt water series with fuel injection. it looks clean.

I have that same year and model motor, and I can tell you that without an hour meter, there is no way to know how many hours are on the motor. That isn't a bad thing, it is just what it is.

Those motors don't have the ability to give a detailed computer printout like the newer motors we have today, so the only way to know for sure is to have a qualified mechanic go through her and check her out.

One thing you have going for you is the fact that the OX66 series Saltwater Series II motors are some of the best that Yamaha ever produced.
Have a certified Yamaha mechanic check her out and give you an honest evaluation. :wink:

Back