Buying a Parker tips

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phauck

Reaction score
Hello all,

Stoked on this website and hopefully someday will be a true owner/member. I am currently looking around the used 25' PH market and wanted to know if there were any specific things I should inspect on a used Parker. I.e. this year they improved this because years prior were having issues.... Or don't buy one pre 2008 because...

If you were buying a 2001 Parker what costs/projects would you guys expect to incur on top of the price of the boat? (boat specifics, I know engines).

As an owner on the sea trial I wish I would have looked at this, type deal would be epic as well.

Thanks for any insight!

Good luck on your search. This one comes to mind. I had to turn down a good deal last winter due to not risking this issue. This link was from a post in the OBs/Props section, titled "Yamaha F225 corrosion complaints". An issue requiring expensive (3k) repairs for a particular OB around 2002-2004 or so years. It was recently bumped up close to the top of the posts.

http://www.boatus.com/magazine/2012/oct ... laints.asp

i have never bought a used 2001 PH parker in particular, but i have bought a used 2002 25se, 2004 23se and i more or less asked the same thing. I asked Parker. imho (to me) they have been and are a great company (separate from the quality of their boats) - and as a point of reference, i have never purchased anything new from them or one of their dealers. pre-purchase i asked (by email) similar questions to yours, then some specific questions on specific things i did not "understand" on a particular used boat i was looking at, and since purchase (i still have both boats - 6 years on the 25se and 3 on the 23se) for anything "aftermarket" or original oem that i was looking for (like the original oem of the transom splash guard for my 23se...I asked if they knew where I may be able to find "x" and they'd send me a link, name and number or email etc.

Great! Thank you for the responses. I have heard great things about Parker's and will be sea trialing one soon. Not in any way trying to prompt any proud owners to say negative things about there boats, just looking to see when people pull decks? Ever see any rot on transoms after XX amount of years? Etc. Thank you again!

phauck":20uevbx9 said:
Great! Thank you for the responses. I have heard great things about Parker's and will be sea trialing one soon. Not in any way trying to prompt any proud owners to say negative things about there boats, just looking to see when people pull decks? Ever see any rot on transoms after XX amount of years? Etc. Thank you again!
I bought a used 2002 2520XL this summer. It had been repowered with a 2012 250 HP Yammi - less that 200 hrs when I bought it. Since the engine passed its mechanical survey with flying colors, a major hurdle was overcome at the outset.

As far a rot in the core, that's going to be a boat by boat situation. It will be dependent on the quality of the caulking of accessories like antennas, lights and other add-ons. Also, maintenance of the caulking used to bed factory installed items such as handrails, bow rails and rocket launchers shouldn't be overlooked. The key to it all is to keep water from entering the core. No water - no rot.
Be sure to check where the motor attaches to the transom. It MUST be watertight! If you have an Armstrong bracket, check the quality of the caulking.

My biggest challenge has been undoing the crap the previous owner installed. Some of it I just didn't want. Some of it is just reinstalling to meet my personal preference or standards. There must be a mile of junky, amateur wiring that is going to take fair amount of time to tear out and replace. I've owned a number of used boats and a recurring theme seems to be inept or lazy owner installations. But a bit of time and sweat and it can be made right.

Bottom line is that a 2001 boat isn't an old boat. There are lots of good years left if it has been well maintained.

GET A SURVEY!

If you find a boat you are really interested in purchasing, then get a survey done before you make a commitment.

The peace of mind alone is worth the few hundred dollars you will spend on the survey. Most boat purchasers have no idea how to properly inspect a vessel. I have owned boats for over forty years and I know I don't really have a clue about how to do it.

Buy a Bracketed boat.

That has a full transom and Bracket with Outboard. Why? No shipping water over the notched transom.

There I several 2520's in my town..... I have a 2530 and like it a LOT better. Why? More storage, More family room to get out of the sun.

Yes get it surveyed.

Trailer....... I have a triaxle...... iId rather have a tandem axle with a pair of 6000lb axles under it. Why?

Triaxles are hard on tires, from constantly dragging the tires sideways in tighter turns that must be made.

Sounds like good advice there from warthog5 about a tandem axle vs. a tridem axle. More expense for more tires, more brakes, more bearings too.

As far as configuration of the Parker 2520 XLD, when did they start building them with the inward facing jumpseats behind the two front captain's chairs?

My ideal boat would be a 2520 XLD with two captain's chairs, two jumpseats, and an I/O. Not sure if that's possible though...

CB

I second (third maybe?) - get a survey.

Someone said a 2001 boat is not old - WRONG! It is a 16 year old boat. Lots of things are wearing out, some for the second time. You will have a lot of just general maintenance and upkeep.

There are three big items on that list. Engine is obvious. Others have discussed rotten wood. The third big item is the fuel tank. A 16 year old aluminum fuel tank on a salt water boat is at the end of its expected life. A given tank may last 20 years, but anything over 15 years old is on borrowed time. Unfortunately no way to inspect or test until it actually leaks. Just don't be surprised. It's just one of those things that you sign on for with an older boat.

Cracks in the cockpit deck, pitting of aluminum window trim and on seat arms/pedestals, seat slider not staying in place and seat wobble, bubbles in paint on Armstrong platform, leaks at thru bolts into cabin, pounding ride.

Back