Bye ETEC

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brent

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Greenwood, Indiana & Charlotte Harbor, Florida
BRP ADVANCES MARINE STRATEGY BY FOCUSING ON BOATS AND NEW TECHNOLOGIES
May 27, 2020 at 5:00 PM EDT
Company discontinues the manufacturing of outboard engines and agrees with market leader Mercury Marine to support boat packages.

Valcourt, Quebec, May 27, 2020 – BRP (TSX: DOO; NASDAQ: DOOO) announced today it has re-oriented its marine business by focusing on the growth of its boat brands with new technology and innovative marine products. We will discontinue production of Evinrude E-TEC and E-TEC G2 outboard engines. Our Sturtevant, WI, facility, will be repurposed for new projects to pursue our plan to provide consumers with an unparalleled experience on the water.

We remain committed to our Buy, Build, Transform Marine strategy which has been underway since 2018 with the acquisition of Alumacraft and Manitou boat companies in the U.S., followed by the acquisition of Australian boat manufacturer Telwater in 2019.

“Our outboard engines business has been greatly impacted by COVID-19, obliging us to discontinue production of our outboard motors immediately. This business segment had already been facing some challenges and the impact from the current context has forced our hand,” said José Boisjoli, President and CEO of BRP. “We will concentrate our efforts on new and innovative technologies and on the development of our boat companies, where we continue to see a lot of potential to transform the on-water experience for consumers,” he added.

Discontinuing outboard engine business and signing an agreement with Mercury Marine

Following our decision to discontinue E-TEC and E-TEC G2 outboard engines, we have signed an agreement with market leader Mercury Marine to support boat packages and continue to supply outboard engines to our boat brands.

We will continue to supply customers and our dealer network service parts and will honour our manufacturer limited warranties, plus offer select programs to manage inventory. These decisions will impact 650 employees globally.

Pursuing new opportunities within Build and Transform phases of strategy

With this announcement, BRP will be positioned to expand its presence in the pontoon and aluminum fishing markets through technologically advanced solutions. We will leverage our track record of ingenuity through our R&D resources to enhance the boating experience with unique new marine products, such as the next generation of engine technology with Project Ghost and the next generation of pontoons with Project M, code names for new products we expect to transform the industry.

Maximizing operational and functional efficiencies

Lastly, we will consolidate Alumacraft operations from two sites to one. All Alumacraft operations will be transferred to St Peter, MN and our site in Arkadelphia, AR will be permanently closed. In addition, we want to upgrade the boat production facilities to reorganize manufacturing sites and apply the modularity model used elsewhere. This move is designed to enhance productivity and efficiency and to allow us to respond with even more agility to demand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

warthog5":35fbzcey said:
They couldn't make a Uglier Looking motor

And yet I get nothing but comments about how good my G2 300 looks. Nearly all do say they thought it was an ugly engine at first but now nothing but compliments on the looks.

Hi all,
It is indeed a shame. I did a great deal of homework before deciding to repower my 2520 Parker, replacing an older ETEC and settlted on the ETEC G2 300. From my perspective the best motor package on the market. I know others will debate this but that is what my research led me to believe. No real break in, no service for 500 hours, less moving parts than 4 strokes, more hole shot power, better fuel economy, and the ability to winterize the motor in about 5 min, which is now done automatically. The motor is different looking but with the ability to customize the motor colors to fit my boat, I am one happy camper. In the midst of ordering the motor, BRP, announced they were not going to make them anymore, which cause d me to pause on pulling the trigger, aside from the fact it was not easy to obtain the motor I wanted . . . .but the dealer I was working with did a great job of locating one if I wanted to proceed with the purchase. Some will view this decision as questionable, but BRP will be around for a long time to come so parts and service will likely be available for the foreseeable future., one of my biggest concerns. Having owned one and come to appreciate the reliability and ease of ownership of an ETEC, and that was before they re-engineered and improved the motor, I took the plunge. At this point, very happy I did got nothing but good things to say about these engines. I do have a Yami 150 on a smaller skiff, and previously had a boat with a Yani 250. So I have had experience with both and I am far more satisfied with my experience with the ETECS and look forward to running this one for a long time to come. Be interesting to see how others respond to this post.

Doc, I am looking to get rid of my Parker (never been more dissatisfied with a boat) and go with Cat. I have located (2) 200 G2s and if I do manage to make the deal I will putting the G2s on the cat. In my group of divers we have 6 boats with my G2, (1) with Mercs and the others yamis. One Yami 300 on a 2520XL hull identical to mine. The G2 does better in all areas than all of the others. The 300 yami will run about 2mph faster than mine but I do have an extended shade top on mine. But I will cruise at 34 mph and get 2.3 mpg, His cruise is 31 and he gets 1.8. That is the most economical cruise speed for both boats. I too have had yamis, zuks and mercs. Like the G2 better than any, although I honestly did not have a bad engine in the bunch. Just really like the power and efficency of the 2S better.

Hi all,
It is indeed a shame. I did a great deal of homework before deciding to repower my 2520 Parker, replacing an older ETEC and settlted on the ETEC G2 300. From my perspective the best motor package on the market. I know others will debate this but that is what my research led me to believe. No real break in, no service for 500 hours, less moving parts than 4 strokes, more hole shot power, better fuel economy, and the ability to winterize the motor in about 5 min, which is now done automatically. The motor is different looking but with the ability to customize the motor colors to fit my boat, I am one happy camper. In the midst of ordering the motor, BRP, announced they were not going to make them anymore, which cause d me to pause on pulling the trigger, aside from the fact it was not easy to obtain the motor I wanted . . . .but the dealer I was working with did a great job of locating one if I wanted to proceed with the purchase. Some will view this decision as questionable, but BRP will be around for a long time to come so parts and service will likely be available for the foreseeable future., one of my biggest concerns. Having owned one and come to appreciate the reliability and ease of ownership of an ETEC, and that was before they re-engineered and improved the motor, I took the plunge. At this point, very happy I did got nothing but good things to say about these engines. I do have a Yami 150 on a smaller skiff, and previously had a boat with a Yani 250. So I have had experience with both and I am far more satisfied with my experience with the ETECS and look forward to running this one for a long time to come. Be interesting to see how others respond to this post.

I am in the same boat....I went with with the 300 G2 on a rehab of a 2003 2520XL, as it was the only company that could do three fly by wire stations without getting into aftermarket stuff. It was too late, I had already purchased the motor. The motor is here, and should be going on the boat in the next couple of weeks. Do you have your's up and running, and is it an XL?

I am in the same boat....I went with with the 300 G2 on a rehab of a 2003 2520XL, as it was the only company that could do three fly by wire stations without getting into aftermarket stuff. It was too late, I had already purchased the motor. The motor is here, and should be going on the boat in the next couple of weeks. Do you have your's up and running, and is it an XL?
I also have a 2003 2520 XL SC deep V with a 300 E-Tec G2 is yours a modified or a deep V?

Hi all,
Is your Parker a modified V or deep V? Looking for some MPG numbers and what prop do you consider to work the best for the boat oh, I currently have a RX for 15 x 16 thank you

Not sure how much this will help as mine is a MV. I run the RX4 15X16. My boating is almost exclusively for diving so I am usually loaded pretty heavy. My WOT rpms is 5950 and depending on conditions and load 41-44 mph. Fuel burn at those rpms is 24.5 gph. My most economical and comfortable cruise is 4900-5100 rpms and 32-35 mph. Fuel burn is 14.8 at these rpms. It will get close to 3 mpg if I drop the cruise rpms down 4500 but if there is any chop at all it will start to bog and lose speed. Then the gas mileage starts to suck too. With about 60 gals of gas and just 3 guys going fishing the cruise speed will pick up to about 36 mph but the fuel burn drops to about 14.3 gph. When I 1st installed the engine I ran a rebel 15 pitch prop. I liked the performance better with it but I got a lot of vibration with it. Something I have heard others have had issues with also. I am not sure if it is the reverse gearing ratio or something with the prop but it has absolutely the weakest reverse I have ever seen from an OB.

Not sure how much this will help as mine is a MV. I run the RX4 15X16. My boating is almost exclusively for diving so I am usually loaded pretty heavy. My WOT rpms is 5950 and depending on conditions and load 41-44 mph. Fuel burn at those rpms is 24.5 gph. My most economical and comfortable cruise is 4900-5100 rpms and 32-35 mph. Fuel burn is 14.8 at these rpms. It will get close to 3 mpg if I drop the cruise rpms down 4500 but if there is any chop at all it will start to bog and lose speed. Then the gas mileage starts to suck too. With about 60 gals of gas and just 3 guys going fishing the cruise speed will pick up to about 36 mph but the fuel burn drops to about 14.3 gph. When I 1st installed the engine I ran a rebel 15 pitch prop. I liked the performance better with it but I got a lot of vibration with it. Something I have heard others have had issues with also. I am not sure if it is the reverse gearing ratio or something with the prop but it has absolutely the weakest reverse I have ever seen from an OB.
This is great. I know you and I have communicated before, but this is awesome info. Thank you. We should be hanging the motor in the next week or two.

Back