Cabin boats in hot weather...

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coastie743

Reaction score
Hey guys, I live down in Puerto Rico. Likely retiring from this gig in the next 3 years or so, and then a follow on job that will either keep me here in PR, USVI, or south FL. I have always had flats boats and center consoles. Wondering how bad the cabins are in hot weather. Im thinking that when moving or with a nice breeze with the windows open and the fact that its shaded it shouldn't be too bad. But wondering about being on the hook or drifting with little to no wind.... I know some of you guys run them in FL so Im guessing it isn't horrible.

Because the pilothouse is shaded and ventilated, it is always cooler than being in the sun on deck.
The open-back models are even cooler. Doesn't take much of a breeze to make it comfortable.

Attachments

• IMG_3059.jpg
    IMG_3059.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 526
I've also found it stays very comfortable inside out of the sun. Even during those sweltering summer days we have here in NC I've never found it was too hot to be inside. With both front and side windows open if there is any breeze at all it will come through. I also had 2 fans installed in the aft top corners of the cabin that provide moving air if it is still. I really have enjoyed having them there. Down in the berth area is a different story - even with the porthole windows open and the hatch up, you can't always feel the air moving. If the bow is into the wind, the hatch will act as a scoop and help things out though.

I concur with the above responses. I am in south jersey and even on those really hot 90 degree plus days being I the cabin out of the direct sun is comfortable. MarkA what make are your fans? I was thinking of installing a couple in the cabin area for sleeping purposes on those hot windless nights.

I have had cc's as well as a mid cabin Fourwinns with the canvas camper top and a I/O cuddly with canvas. I have found that the pilot house is the coolest boat I have had by far. The very thick and solid cabin top never transfers heat into the cabin. I think that is the main reason it is so cool. The obvious shade being the other. JMO.

I find the parker cabins to provide welcome shade and relief from the suns rays on hot days. Some people imagine it to be like an oven or a closed up car but that is not the case at all. Granted if the air is 90 outside it will still be 90 inside so you will need to move the air for more comfort.

I use big 12" rv fans (endless breeze?) to create air movement when needed. You could also use an inverter to power a large box fan. With the fan on and the boat rocking I really look forward to my midday naps in there.

I've owned several center consoles and I would much rather be in a parker cabin for both very hot and very cold days. A tee top only provides some shade at the helm but inside a parker you get sun protection at all the various sun angles.

Sara F":1hnv23i5 said:
I concur with the above responses. I am in south jersey and even on those really hot 90 degree plus days being I the cabin out of the direct sun is comfortable. MarkA what make are your fans? I was thinking of installing a couple in the cabin area for sleeping purposes on those hot windless nights.
I'm not sure, the dealer installed them when I bought it. They are 8" diameter I'd guess and adjustable up and down. They also have a knob that you can pull out or push in that makes them oscillate. If the wind would ever lay out and let me get out again I'll see if I can get the specific make and model.

The forward window's had a option to be fixed or open.

It's not a option.... It's Mandatory that they open. This will create a vortex of air being rammed thru the boat. :)

I opted for the CC over the cabin.Didn't want to compromise my fishing space,aside from me having a hard enough time seeing at night as it is when bassing[buddy has 2120 SC,beautiful boat,I just have problems focusing at night in the cabin],and nothing like the warm breeze blowing through what hairs I have left on my head.Had a full canvas installed on my 2016 21SE.Its on in the early spring,and comes off till Oct.Had a full canvas on my last CC and would be out there in the middle of the Sound Black fishing with nothing but a long john top and a long sleeve flannel.The heat the sun throws off through the side curtains makes it feel like a sauna.Yet,protected from the wind and the spray wherever I go.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    307 KB · Views: 416
  • IMG_2653 2.jpg
    IMG_2653 2.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 416
  • FullSizeRender.jpg1 18-31-29.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg1 18-31-29.jpg
    313.5 KB · Views: 416
Here's a shot of the fan location. I didn't bother trying to get make/model as this one broke about 10 minutes after I took this picture. And we weren't even running at the time. The pivot point to allow it to rotate up and down just gave out. Like I said, the dealer put them and they aren't anything fancy, just plastic. But they moved enough air to make a big difference between them off or on. So now I have to decide if I want to go with another one like that or find a replacement. :x

Attachments

• IMG_1381 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1381 (Small).JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 350
Mark, thanks for the intel. I bought an oscillation fan at a local truck stop that is plastic; however, the bolts, nuts and screws are not stainless and they have rusted. I am going ot try to replace the hardware with stainless fasteners and give that a try. I'll keep you posted.

Most pilot house folks here will tell you things are great with just an open front window, but we found that not to be true so we installed an RV rooftop unit which is used with a Honda 2000i. We don't have to pretend we're comfortable anymore.

IMG_6725.jpg

IMG_6726.jpg

IMG_6723.jpg

I'm thinking we're going on over 5 years with this setup with never a hiccup.

If you search this site, you will find other options.

I'm in South Florida. There is no question, the pilothouse is the best place to be on a hot day - it's much cooler in there than out in the sun. As was mentioned by others - make sure both front windows open as this helps quite a bit. Installing some shade in the back can also help.
I actually use the boat more in the summer.

Back