Can't fill fuel tank - 2520XL

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J876

Reaction score
Purchased a new 2520XL in 2020. For the first year or two no fuel issues. During 2022 it became increasingly difficult to fuel up. Whether the tank was 1/4 full or 1/2 full I would have to run the fuel in at almost a trickle, otherwise it would overflow (the turn off mechanism on the fuel hose would kick in). This happened at multiple fuel docks. Now it's at the point where fuel practically won't go in at all. The first few gallons will go in fine and then you can hear it start to back up as fuel rises up the intake hose. Then gas hose turns off or fuel overflows. Mechanic says the fuel vent and hoses above deck "look ok". He's recommending returning it to the factory for evaluation and repair. Searching previous threads from the past I see a bunch of people with similar problems but couldn't find a solution. Does anyone have any recommendations? I really don't want to lose the year of boating.

Before I cleaned the salt build up clogging my gas vent, I unhooked the vent hose clamp and stuck the hose in a jug in case it overflowed when fueling. Gas flowed freely and soon after cleaned the vent fitting out.

Can I start by bypassing the charcoal filter and just running a new long hose from the tank directly to the vent? Or will this be dangerous/do damage? If this is a reasonable first step how do I detach the part of the hose that appears to be glued to the tank spout? Heat gun? Sorry I'm a novice but there is nobody available to do this for me this time of the year.

Attachments

• IMG_5648.JPG
    IMG_5648.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
Can I start by bypassing the charcoal filter and just running a new long hose from the tank directly to the vent? Or will this be dangerous/do damage? If this is a reasonable first step how do I detach the part of the hose that appears to be glued to the tank spout? Heat gun? Sorry I'm a novice but there is nobody available to do this for me this time of the year.
Do NOT use a heat gun on anything associated with the fuel tank….

Do NOT use a heat gun on anything associated with the fuel tank….
Nothing that involves heat, flames or any other source of ignition. loosen the clamps at the charcoal filter and pull the line from the filter to to vent first. Make Sure there is no water or fuel in it blocking the vent.

No heat or flames near fuel... obvious fact that I should have thought of before posting. Thanks for the reminder.

I removed the metal vent from the hull and blew into it, air went through no problem, no salt build up. Then I opened the fuel tank cap and blew into the vent line through the carbon filter. Air blew through the system with a little effort and I heard the gas in the tank bubbling. This essentially rules out a clogged filter/vent line? If this isn't a clogged vent system what else could it be? As I said, for the past year it's been getting worse and worse. Now I can't get more than 3 gallons in. Even if I wait 10 seconds and then try to trickle the fuel in it immediately bubbles up as if there was something completely blocking it from flowing into the tank. The fuel gauge has 4 out of 10 bars. I can't see any way in which the tank would be full. At my wits end. I really don't want to bring it back to the dealer and miss a month+ of fishing but that's how it's looking right now. Any other ideas?

If your fuel tank will not vent with the hose going into the charcoal filter removed you probably have an issue inside the tank.

Your fuel tank has an INTERNAL EVAPORATIVE EMISSION SYSTEM. Basically there is a valve inside the tank attached to the vent hose fitting. Your dealer would know the procedure to check to see if this valve is working properly or at least they should. If is not working properly the tank will not vent properly and will fill very slowly.

There is a work around if it is bad, but it requires drilling into the fuel tank and adding another vent. Leave it to the pros. You also might want to ask about it being covered under warranty.

This system has been on Parkers since about 2013. This version or a variant has been required by the EPA for about the last 10 years and is on all recreational watercraft.

If you look back on the older specs for Parkers you will see that the fuel capacity dropped when they went to this system. The reason is the valve takes up internal tank space and lowered the fuel capacity. Ie a 200 gallon tank is now 173 gallons. 250 gallon tanks are now 232 gallons.

If your fuel tank will not vent with the hose going into the charcoal filter removed you probably have an issue inside the tank.

Your fuel tank has an INTERNAL EVAPORATIVE EMISSION SYSTEM. Basically there is a valve inside the tank attached to the vent hose fitting. Your dealer would know the procedure to check to see if this valve is working properly or at least they should. If is not working properly the tank will not vent properly and will fill very slowly.

There is a work around if it is bad, but it requires drilling into the fuel tank and adding another vent. Leave it to the pros. You also might want to ask about it being covered under warranty.

This system has been on Parkers since about 2013. This version or a variant has been required by the EPA for about the last 10 years and is on all recreational watercraft.

If you look back on the older specs for Parkers you will see that the fuel capacity dropped when they went to this system. The reason is the valve takes up internal tank space and lowered the fuel capacity. Ie a 200 gallon tank is now 173 gallons. 250 gallon tanks are now 232 gallons.
That's what I was afraid to hear. I'm picturing them having to rip up the deck and installing a new tank, leaving me boatless until the fall. I guess it's out of my hands now. Will have to make arrangements to bring it back to the dealer next week. Thanks for all the help.

No heat or flames near fuel... obvious fact that I should have thought of before posting. Thanks for the reminder.

I removed the metal vent from the hull and blew into it, air went through no problem, no salt build up. Then I opened the fuel tank cap and blew into the vent line through the carbon filter. Air blew through the system with a little effort and I heard the gas in the tank bubbling. This essentially rules out a clogged filter/vent line? If this isn't a clogged vent system what else could it be? As I said, for the past year it's been getting worse and worse. Now I can't get more than 3 gallons in. Even if I wait 10 seconds and then try to trickle the fuel in it immediately bubbles up as if there was something completely blocking it from flowing into the tank. The fuel gauge has 4 out of 10 bars. I can't see any way in which the tank would be full. At my wits end. I really don't want to bring it back to the dealer and miss a month+ of fishing but that's how it's looking right now. Any other ideas?
Is the boat on the trailer or in the water? If the boat is in the water and you’re filling up at a marina, you could try bringing some heavy weight friends with you and having them stand on the gunnel opposite of the fill nozzle to get the boat to list. I know that on my boat, I can squeeze in a few extra gallons of fuel with a list opposite of the fill nozzle and I almost never get a back up while filing if the fill side is up. I also have noticed that if fill side is low, the boat doesn’t take on fuel as easily.
Your situation sounds more serious but if you’re desperate, might be worth a shot as a last resort……

Is the boat on the trailer or in the water? If the boat is in the water and you’re filling up at a marina, you could try bringing some heavy weight friends with you and having them stand on the gunnel opposite of the fill nozzle to get the boat to list. I know that on my boat, I can squeeze in a few extra gallons of fuel with a list opposite of the fill nozzle and I almost never get a back up while filing if the fill side is up. I also have noticed that if fill side is low, the boat doesn’t take on fuel as easily.
Your situation sounds more serious but if you’re desperate, might be worth a shot as a last resort……
Boat is in the water currently. The guy at the fuel dock had the same idea. No dice. Everyone still thinks it's the filter. Will let everyone know how this turns out.

Just my 2 cents. I have a 2012 2320 and have very similar issues when filing up at the gas station as I trailer my boat. I have the last year for the 150 gallon tank without the evaporative emission system so I cannot speak on that. However, after I did all the tests, blowing into the tank, removing and checking overflow, etc., it seems to me it’s the disparity in size/diameter of fill hose to ventilation hose that creates the pressure build up. Lot of factors come into play, temperature, how much fuel is in the tank, etc. For example when I first bought the boat and the tank only had about 40g in it, I could fill the tank at full blast until I got to about 130g mark. Juxtaposed that situation to trailering my boat to the gas station and topping off my tank before a trip. Now the tank is mostly full and sloshing around somewhat as I travel to the gas station. When I unscrew the cap to fill there’s a big release of pressure. When I try and add fuel in this situation I have to take it slow and pull back the splash guard so fumes can escape from the fill hose. I say this because I tried all the troubleshooting fixes and could not find a problem. I asked my shop to look into it and they didn’t find anything wrong with my system either

Last edited:
While I was trouble shooting my tank I put a scope down the fill tube. This is a check valve which lives in the fill tube right at the tank. I decided to remove it to see how the boat would fill. Big mistake!!! I was showered with fuel when it was near full. I quickly reinstalled it after that.

There was also a sag in the fill tube that trapped fuel. I shortened the length of the fill tube to remove the sag and that helped.
IMG_2001.JPG

I have a 2022 and experienced it for the first time today. I’m able to fill it slowly but it takes very long time. I’m going to ready through this thread and see what I can do.

I have a 2022 and experienced it for the first time today. I’m able to fill it slowly but it takes very long time. I’m going to ready through this thread and see what I can do.
I just talked to my dealer and he mentioned to lift the bow of the boat up on the trailer slightly to prevent the back pressure build up and that every gas station is different. I’ll try it next time and report back here.

I have a ‘99 2501 DV. Had the same issue at first, then I tried taking the vent hose off the vent fitting on the hull while filling and it then took gas at full flow no issue. Vent hose then goes back on hull after filling. Worth a shot

Back