Canvas on a 2520

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Horton

Reaction score
We recently purchased a 2520 and my wife would like some shade from the sun. Any thoughts or pictures of a canvas sun shade that could be taken down easily.

Paul

You can easily install an aftermarket bimini top. I did it a few years ago, but find that we don't use it so I took it off. I know use those collaspable chairs with the shade top.

We just bought the boat last year and wanted some shade. The one thing we did not want was straps or supports coming down that we would have to manuever around when catching fish. We also wanted something permenant so we did not have to worry about putting up/taking it down which would probably lead to it not being used.

This top was designed by Glen at GW performance welding in northfield NJ. He did a great job and is EXCELLENT to work with. He has done a few of these on 2520 XL's so he did not have to take measurements on our boat. Not sure if the 2520 hardtop is the same or not.
www.gwperformancewelding.com [email protected] 609-569-9911 . He also made the baitwell rocket launcher.

We also had him make 2 poles that fit in the aft rod holders and support another removable section of a sunshade that covers the rest of the cockpit (no pics). We use that with the family out on lunch cruises.

We wired it with 3 LED spreader lights from coastal night lights and a White/Blue T Top light in the center. Have him run the wires for you if you get the lights done-it was not easy. Fabric is stamoid.

Attachments

• Sunshade top view (Small).jpg
    Sunshade top view (Small).jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 1,059
  • Sunshade stbd side (Small).jpg
    Sunshade stbd side (Small).jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 1,060
  • Sunshade Aft (Small).jpg
    Sunshade Aft (Small).jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 1,059
  • Baitwell Rocket Launcher (Small).jpg
    Baitwell Rocket Launcher (Small).jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 1,058
Very nice sun shade. 8)

Here is a 2520XL with a bimini.

august_2009_007_261.jpg

august_2009_010_212.jpg

Note the difference in size between the 2520XL on the left, and my 2520 MVSC in the middle.
There is a slight difference in size.

How does the bimini store when not in use-can it be wrapped up in vertical position?I too am on a 2520MV w/transom mounted motor and think laying it down forward or rearward would be in the way.I did contact Glen previously but I have reservations if the size would offer enough shade and I hate to lose or have to duplicate the roof top rod holders.

On the boat in the photo above, I believe that Ben stores it folded flat across the transom.
I have also seen them folded forward across the top edge of the cabin beneath the rocket launcher.

Either way should work.
It's all about personal preference.

are you looking for something to be up when moving or just anchored. I have an extended top on my boat but when anchored we often put up an anchor shade umbrella and it offers even more shade making those hot summer days even more enjoyable on the water. I dont think I would run with it up though. It is easy to deploy and put away very quickly.

Attachments

• raftup4th.jpg
    raftup4th.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 1,018
I have an Anchor Shade too.
The Admiral loves it, but I'd rather have the sunshine. 8)

I also needed the sun cover for my 2520 XL and after searching everywhere I decided not to try and invent the wheel I went back to parker and purchased their custom sun cover with stainless hardware. When not in use I can leave it laying on the back deck or up standing up in the radar arch form. It also was a lot cheaper than any of the custom rigs I looked at. That and the windless was the best money I have spent my wife says.

Good Luck

Cheerios

Back