Catch and Release.............Lobster?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbigma

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Fourth was a beautiful day for a couple of dives. Water temp at depth was low 50’s, visibility was about 15 ft. After the first dive we had enough seafood for dinner so the pressure to “fill the pot” was off.

Cooler.jpg

On the second dive we were swimming along the bottom of a rock wall face when my daughter motioned me over to an overhang. By the time I got over to her, she had wrestled this beautiful seven pound lobster out of a hole.

sevenpounder.jpg

Compared to a standard 1-1/2 lb. lobster, this was one beautiful specimen.

compare.jpg

However, it turns out this lobster was above the limit (over 5 inches across the back of the carapace) for the area we dive in.

size.jpg

So, back into the water.

release.jpg

Catch and Release ......Lobster!

release1.jpg

Meanwhile, the fireworks crew was busy on the barge putting the finishing touches to the program for tonight, while a crowd gathered on the beach, jockeying for a good seat for the fireworks.

barge.jpg

Happy Fourth of July everyone!
amflag.gif

....John

That is one big bug!!!!! I did not know there was an upper limit. Down here we only have a lowere limit, 3 1/4" if I remember correctly, its on the guage. Are the rules different for diving?

Nice Bug.

Bryan A.":aodbmwio said:
Are the rules different for diving?

Bryan,,

Massachusetts carves up their coastal area into zones for Lobster Fisheries Management, with varying size limits for the different zones. The zone that we dive in has a 3.25/5.0 min/max limit.

I'm more than happy to oblige with the upper limits. When they get to that size they somehow have a "personality" to me,, and I wouldn't want to dip them in butter anyway. 8)

Plus the bigger females produce a much larger quantity of eggs than the smaller ones. Almost everyone I know in or out of the lobster business is in favor of this upper size limit as one way to help preserve the fishery.

The big ones are so awesome to watch underwater. The water magnifies their size even more, and they look like 800 lb Gorillas :shock:

jandkbig.jpg

jacelobster.jpg

jacelobster1.jpg

Awesome photos there John!

Wow ... ddddddddddiiiddd you sssssaaaaay 50 dddddegreees ... daaat's cccccold ...

Back