caught a monster yesterday

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks painful. I hope you didn't need to use a gaff to land that monster! :lol:

So did you remove it yourself, or did it require a trip to the Emergency Room?

Every time I see fish hook photos, I try to be a little more careful than the last time I go out. :shock:

Ouch!

A couple of things come to mind: 1. "You want to hook the fish right in the lip like this.....D'oh.." 2. A lot of kids would pay good money to have something sharp stuck in their lip. 3. I'll bet you'll never do that again.

Hope all is well.

Richard

Tommy:

Exactly how did they get it out? Just want to know in case I'm way offshore and have to remove one from the lip. Gotten one out of the hand with a a dremmel and ice cube.......but the lip (ouch).

grouperjim":301rkspt said:
Tommy:

Exactly how did they get it out? Just want to know in case I'm way offshore and have to remove one from the lip. Gotten one out of the hand with a a dremmel and ice cube.......but the lip (ouch).

I'm sure Tommy will answer and tell you the method they used to get it out. For now, let me make a suggestion as to how to deal with a problem like this when you are out fishing (and don't want to leave the fish biting!)

Most fishermen will not be able to remove a hook without proper local anesthetic. It hurts! Sometimes it takes a surprising amount of force to get a hook out.

I’ve removed everything from shad darts to tuna hooks. Here are the general methods used: After numbing the area up with lidocaine (assuming there aren’t any important structures in the area like important nerves, arteries or joints) simply try and back out the hook while applying a force in the opposite direction the barb is pointing. Depending on the type of tissue it is imbedded in, they sometimes come right out. For example, fat is sometimes the easiest. On the other hand, imagine a hook in a steak where there was a piece of gristle caught under the barb. You aren’t going to pull that one out unless you can work the barb free. In situations like that you need to advance the hook past the offending gristle, push down and then back it out hoping you don’t catch more. They come right out about 10% of the time.

Sometimes the best method is to actually drive the hook further and have it exit the skin, then cut off the point and barb, then back it right out the entry wound. Even a sharp hook takes a lot of force to do this and most could not tolerate it without proper anesthesia.

Another nifty method to be used when the point is not real deep is to use a large bore needle and run it along the wound channel and finding the barb, place the needle with the barb now inside the bore, with one hand holding the hook and the other the needle back it out. If your ER doc is not a fisherperson they are not likely to use this method as it takes a good understanding of different hooks and where the barbs are.

If any or all of these methods fail, reach for the scalpel and start opening up the wound channel till it comes out. It will come out. Sometimes it just takes more force and more steel.

So… If I were out fishing and didn’t have my kit with me, what would I do?

Leave the hook right where it is. Cut the end off especially if it is a lead head, but make sure to leave a good bit of the shaft exposed so it can be manipulated properly when you get help. Use some gauze to stabilize it and keep the area clean and tape it up. Continue fishing. Now I’m sure there are theoretical advantages to having the hook removed sooner than later but for all practical purposes a couple of extra hours is not going to hurt anything…. Well… assuming you haven’t punctured your carotid artery and have a slow leak…. Or a giant tuna hook that has punctured your lung…. Or a flying gaff in your spleen… You get the picture.

I like to always finish up free advise with this: Always seek prompt medical attention, if you have any worry of life threatening injuries call 911, your mileage may vary, beware of free medical advice!

Richard

Ouuuuuuuuch! How the He@%! did that happen? :? I'm not interesteed in how you got it out but would love to know the story behnd it. Was it a cast gone bad or a lost bet?

I have almost gotten myself like that when I bite down on the tag end to tighten a knot and the line breaks. Just missed a few times. If it had been a circle hook, I guess Tommy would have gotten it in the corner of the mouth!?

they pushed it through then cut it in half.i could not remove it because the hook was running the same direction as my lip.if i had something to numb it with i believe i could have gotton it out myself,as it really did not hurt at all.the shot was off the chain painfull in the lip.if i was offshore i would have cut the lead off and i think i could have kept fishing,the lead pulling on it was the worst part of it.i have some more pic's of them removing it in my phone when i get them unloaded i'll post them.this was my birthday present to myself.

i had a rod in the leaning post rod holder and hooked it when i casted.the spinner bait hit the side of my face when it went by and hooked my lip on the way back.

couple in the ER

Attachments

• tommyshook Large Web view.jpg
    tommyshook Large Web view.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 130
  • tommyshook2 Large Web view.jpg
    tommyshook2 Large Web view.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 130
  • tommyshook3 Large Web view.jpg
    tommyshook3 Large Web view.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 130
Back