Cavitation issue on my 2510 DV

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wwwes

Reaction score
I have a 2005 2510WA with twin Yamaha 150's on a bracket. I have a cavitation issue with my port motor (rpm surging from 4200 to 48 or 50). The issue only occurs when I'm running in a portside quartering or beam sea. It has never occurred under any other condition. I'm convinced that the port motor is catching turbulence from the raw water thru-hull strainer which is directly forward of the prop. I have tried every possible combination of trim settings to correct the problem but have had no success. Has anyone had a similar problem? Any suggestions on a solution? Thanks in advance

We have same year boat with twins running the same motors, but an XL modified v so the hull could be the same. Never had a problem. running mercury rev 4 props. Id have to take a look to see exactly where wash down intake is, but I know it is on port side too.

I just bought a used 2005 2510 and am having a similar problem. Mine has twin Yamaha 225's. The port engine is catching air at midrange and up. Did you ever resolve your problem? Last night it dawned on me that it might be related to the water intake strainer for the raw water washdown. I think mine our mounted on the 2'nd hole I'll get a picture today and post.

Here's the picture of the mounting hole. I assume this is referred to as the 3'rd hole.

Attachments

• IMG_8428.JPG
    IMG_8428.JPG
    334.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_8428.JPG
    IMG_8428.JPG
    334.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_8429.JPG
    IMG_8429.JPG
    405.5 KB · Views: 30
I'm convinced that the port motor is catching turbulence from the raw water thru-hull strainer which is directly forward of the prop.

Exactly my thoughts before I even read what you wrote here.

Live with it or move the pickup.

I have a 2006 2520xld with twin Yamaha 150's. I'm the original owner and it has had the cavitation problem since day one. The hull was a new design in 2006 so I don't believe they are the same. I thought it might be the thru hull transducer which is center mounted all the way back. I've had both engines cavitate but not at the same time. I just back off the throttle for a bit and bring the rpms down and it's ok. Ive just lived with it over the years since it's not that frequent.

I have a 2007 2510 deep vee and battled the port side cavitation issue for several years, even installing permatrims which helped but did not eliminate the cavitation. Finally I glassed over the raw water inlet directly inline with the engine (a huge Parker mistake) and installed a 1.5" centerline raw water pick between the engines feeding a manifold for all my raw water needs. No more cavitation.

I have a 2007 2510 deep vee and battled the port side cavitation issue for several years, even installing permatrims which helped but did not eliminate the cavitation. Finally I glassed over the raw water inlet directly inline with the engine (a huge Parker mistake) and installed a 1.5" centerline raw water pick between the engines feeding a manifold for all my raw water needs. No more cavitation.
I think I need to do the same this off season. Its driving me nuts and its not good for the engine either. Could you share some pictures if you have them and a web link for the part?

I have owned a ‘05 2530 since 2006, With Twin 150 yamaha it was only a year old When I purchased it yet it had merc props. The Previous owned said it a cavation problem In high speed turns also. He was an engineer of some sort and said he did the calculations and determined the props that came with the boat were not suited for the boat, and Yamaha didn’t make the desired prop but merc did. I have never had a cavatation issue. I’ll check my paperwork to see what model props I have, since she in the water. It should be noted that I do not have a raw water intake.

Ok, well here are pics of what I did. I originally removed the port side raw water scoop out, but recently I put two tilted element flush CHIRP transducers which nominally went in the same area. I attached some pics. Hopefully you figure this out, it is annoying as hell.

Attachments

• 20190304_190910.jpg
    20190304_190910.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 30
  • 20190304_190938.jpg
    20190304_190938.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 29
  • 20190309_102238.jpg
    20190309_102238.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 28
Ok, well here are pics of what I did. I originally removed the port side raw water scoop out, but recently I put two tilted element flush CHIRP transducers which nominally went in the same area. I attached some pics. Hopefully you figure this out, it is annoying as hell.
Thanks for the pictures Hard Core. I think I need to do the same this off-season. I have a bilge pump right now located in that spot that I will have to relocate. Where is your bilge pump?

I also think I may need to lower the engines from the 3'rd to the 2'nd hole. I'm not sure why they are in the 3'rd hole. I contacted the previous owner and he said he did not raise them ... so it must have been the original owner. I'd like to talk with him if possible before I make any changes though, he must have had a reason. I've been running around with a 1/4 to 1/2 tank of fuel ... I wonder if a full tank would make that much of a difference.

My bilge pump is all the way to the back. You have flat area all the way up into the battery platform if you want to put your pickup further up. I have a transudcer in that area too (all flush so can be in front of pickup scoops). All the fiddling around you are doing won't fix the problem, I went through all this. It is amazing what a small disturbance like this will do to produce endless cavitation. Someone at Parker should have their tools taken away. Honestly, I have re-rigged most of the boat at this point (electrical, plumbing, engines, etc.) so now I am pretty happy.

My bilge pump is all the way to the back. You have flat area all the way up into the battery platform if you want to put your pickup further up. I have a transudcer in that area too (all flush so can be in front of pickup scoops). All the fiddling around you are doing won't fix the problem, I went through all this. It is amazing what a small disturbance like this will do to produce endless cavitation. Someone at Parker should have their tools taken away. Honestly, I have re-rigged most of the boat at this point (electrical, plumbing, engines, etc.) so now I am pretty happy.
Thanks Hard Core. You must have a little more room between the battery tray and the transom than I do. I'll get a measurement and a picture next time I'm on it. I think you are spot on about the cause and affect here and I'll have to move the water pickup this off-season if I want to eliminate the cavitation. I'm just not thrilled about drilling a big hole in the bottom of my boat. And I've never done glass repairs so I'm a little green about that part of the job.

From what I've read on this forum not too many guys are running engines in the 3'rd hole. I might still do that too after I get a chance to talk with the original owner. What hole are your engines mounted in?

I noticed another problem with my port engine and am wondering if it is also related to cavitation or a sign of something else. From about 3,000 RPM and up the port engine shakes whereas the starboard engine is rock steady. Before you moved the raw water scoop do you happen to recall if you saw similar? Also what hole are your engines mounted?

Back