Center of Weight Front to Back 2520 XLD?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grandpa Ken

Reaction score
Does anyone know where the weight is centered front to back on the 2520 XLD? I have a 2007 2520 XLD with twin Yamaha 150s. I want to center it on the lift front to back. I currently have the rear of the cabin centered on the lift but there seems to be a lot of the transom hanging off the back of the lift.

Does anyone know where the weight is centered front to back on the 2520 XLD? I have a 2007 2520 XLD with twin Yamaha 150s. I want to center it on the lift front to back. I currently have the rear of the cabin centered on the lift but there seems to be a lot of the transom hanging off the back of the lift.
The following description will depend on brand/ style of boat lift, the length of the I-beams, length of the 'bunks', and how the lift is rigged, but should apply to most situations.
What you described, your boat is too far back/aft on the lift. My 2520 XLD, single Yamaha 300, is 'centered'/weight-balanced, when the 'forward' set of lift cables is between the mid-ship cleat, and the base of the aft-most bow-rail stanchion.
If you have a lift with double cables, you can tell with your hands;
Grab the 'forward' set of cables and squeeze them together with your hand.
Next, go to the 'aft' set of cables, squeeze them together to feel the tension.
If the boat is 'weight-balanced', fore-to aft in the lift, the tension should feel about the same. (You will be surprised how well you can feel the difference in the tension).
There will be a variance in the tension depending on how the boat is loaded. Full fuel? Low on fuel?
Either way, mine is 'balanced', adjusted fore/aft, when the forward set of lift-cables, are within about a 6 inch 'footprint' between the midship cleat, and the base of the aft-most bow-rail stanchion.....Since you brought up the subject, I might post a video on this. If so, I'll post it to this thread.

Last edited:
Not sure about the actual center of weight, but my 2520 XLD with twin 200's sits in the lift with the transom about 12" form the aft beam on lift. It seems to be pretty well balanced as situated now. The forward beam of the lift cradle is about at the aft end of the cabin. I have double 2 X 12 beams about 15 feet long set at a 21 degree angle to match the hull deadrise. The aft end of the beams overhangs the lift cradle I-beam by about 18" and has a 45 degree snipe to ease entry. I try to land my boat where the transom is at the top of this 45 degree snipe, so probably about 12" aft of aft cradle beam. The forward couple feet of the beam do not touch the hull anyway due to the forward and aft sheer in the bottom hull. See photos below for reference.

Cap'n Dan

Attachments

• 20200909_085918.jpg
    20200909_085918.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 43
  • 20200909_085942.jpg
    20200909_085942.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 40
  • 20200909_090315.jpg
    20200909_090315.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 37
After re-reading your original post, it sounds like you are sitting way to far aft in the lift (assuming your lift beam spacing is similar to mine, or about 10' 6" o.c.).

Cap'n Dan

I walked down to the dock and got some better pictures of how my boat is situated in the lift cradle. I know that I struggled with setting up my lift for this boat as to where it was centered, so trying to give you as much info as possible to help you decide. As the boat sits in these photos, it is about 3" forward of where I would consider it ideal (transom right at the top of snipe in wooden beam). I don't get too excited if it positioned somewhere between plus 12" or minus 6" on the lift cradle.

Cap'n Dan

Attachments

• Lift5.jpg
    Lift5.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 41
  • Lift3.jpg
    Lift3.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 36
  • Lift2.jpg
    Lift2.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 34
I walked down to the dock and got some better pictures of how my boat is situated in the lift cradle. I know that I struggled with setting up my lift for this boat as to where it was centered, so trying to give you as much info as possible to help you decide. As the boat sits in these photos, it is about 3" forward of where I would consider it ideal (transom right at the top of snipe in wooden beam). I don't get too excited if it positioned somewhere between plus 12" or minus 6" on the lift cradle.

Cap'n Dan
[/QUOTEtp
This is interesting! Looking at your photos, as to where your lift-cables are positioned , your boat is about 14"-18" further 'forward' than mine is on the lift....
I think your 'runners' may be longer than ours. I have aluminum (not wood) runners like your lift has (with rubber padding on top of the aluminum runners).... The aft end end of our 'runners' stop a good way before/forward of, the trim-tabs; your 'runners' extend beyond/behind the tabs.... If it ever stops raining here, I will try to take some photos, and/or video to help with these comparisons.... With all that said, and like I mentioned in my first comments, the key is to have the weight balanced between the fore and aft support cables, regardless of all the other variables.... "feeling' the tension of the cables is a quick, easy, and accurate way to accomplish this. The tension between the the fore and aft set of lift cables should be about the same.

Andy, you are correct about the cable tension. Squeezing the double lift cables by hand I can tell that the rear cables have more tension than the front pair. I'll be moving the boat forward when the rain stops. Thanks.

Andy, you are correct about the cable tension. Squeezing the double lift cables by hand I can tell that the rear cables have more tension than the front pair. I'll be moving the boat forward when the rain stops. Thanks.
Hi Grandpa Ken, all of us in eastern NC have been working around the rain this winter; but we are lucky we can still go boating/fishing in our Parkers!

I did check the cable tension fore and aft as Andy suggested above and it seemed pretty even. Even with the sport cabin, I am ready for Spring! Seems like it has been consistently cold and wet this winter!

Cap'n Dan

Here's a video I posted yesterday showing how our 2520 XLD is positioned/ balanced on the lift. (I mentioned below that I would do a video).
(12) Boat Lift 'Hacks' Balance the Weight. Parker 25 Pilothouse. - YouTube

Here's a video I posted yesterday showing how our 2520 XLD is positioned/ balanced on the lift. (I mentioned below that I would do a video).
(12) Boat Lift 'Hacks' Balance the Weight. Parker 25 Pilothouse. - YouTube

That was a really great video. Thanks for taking the time to shoot it and post it here. Two questions for you

1.) your rocket launcher on the transom between the transom and the motor upper cowling, can you tilt your motor all the way up without touching that rocket launcher??

2.) are those thru bolted or is that rod holder/ rocket launcher lag bolted in with adhesive sealant?

That was a really great video. Thanks for taking the time to shoot it and post it here. Two questions for you

1.) your rocket launcher on the transom between the transom and the motor upper cowling, can you tilt your motor all the way up without touching that rocket launcher??

2.) are those thru bolted or is that rod holder/ rocket launcher lag bolted in with adhesive sealant?

1) Yes, I can raise the motor all the way up and still have a little room to spare. But, I cannot raise it all the way up when I have rods and large reels in the center two holders.

2) I bought the boat in 2016/2017. (It has 18 rod holders). The original owner told me that the rocket launcher is thru-bolted, AND has 4200 adhesive/sealant. I have no reason to doubt him, as he proved to be one of the finest, honest persons I have ever dealt with; every thing he told me (long before, and years after the sale) about the boat, installations, add-ons and such were just as he said/promised.... With that said, I don't recall ever looking for, and/or seeing the bolts. I'll do that, and see if I can get some video/photos.

Hey Sydngoose, you got my curiosity up about how the rocket-launcher is fastened. First, there are eight s/s fasteners. (two, at both ends; two in the center, and one-each in the spaces between). The heads look like they would be from 1/4" bolts. To have been thru-bolted, it would have had to have been a factory-request while the boat was being built; there is no access to the back of the launcher. My guess/hope is, that is what happened. If not so, it would be the first thing the original owner was not candid about. The fact that he ordered other 'factory-installs' makes me believe it's a possibility.... If they are 1/4" lags/screws, and not bolts, then they are very strong; it is not moveable.
The previous owner fished for 'monsters' in the Chesapeake Bay. (I have a lot of photos of his catches).... The huge rods and reels he mounted there, and the huge fish he caught off that rocket-launcher, if just screwed on, I believe it would have yanked it off the boat! ☺ I don't know of a way to know for sure, other than removing it. For now, I'll leave well enough alone.

Last edited:

Hi Sydngoose, thank you for the compliment; it means a lot to this old dude!

Thank you Andy for the reply.

I know of another 2320 that has a rocket launcher in that same location and his is lagged in with adhesive sealant. I have never heard that this was an option from the factory. I’ve only seen them aftermarket fabricated and installed. I would like this application for my 2320. I would prefer thru bolts over lagging...Just curious about others that I see.

The 2320 done locally here was done by a great fabricator and trusted Welder in this region. He has a great reputation. So if he said it’s adequate and did it for this application I tend to believe the professional. Maybe lagging them in w adhesives sealant is as good.

Thank you Andy for the reply.

I know of another 2320 that has a rocket launcher in that same location and his is lagged in with adhesive sealant. I have never heard that this was an option from the factory. I’ve only seen them aftermarket fabricated and installed. I would like this application for my 2320. I would prefer thru bolts over lagging...Just curious about others that I see.

The 2320 done locally here was done by a great fabricator and trusted Welder in this region. He has a great reputation. So if he said it’s adequate and did it for this application I tend to believe the professional. Maybe lagging them in w adhesives sealant is as good.
With your local custom fabricator available, maybe he can build and install one, with the center holders spaced/angled differently than mine; possibly where you would be able to raise your engine even with rods and reels in the holders? As I mentioned, I can only raise the engine up-and-out, when our center holders are empty. Although not a necessity, it would be convenient to be able to leave them there when I raise the engine sometimes.

Last edited:
Back