Charging Lithium LifePro4 Via 3.3 F225 and BEP Cluster

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawnee83

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Happy Thanksgiving CP crew.
I’ve started doing some research on replacing my start and house batteries this spring.
I did the original project and purchased my current set in the spring of 2017. I started getting low voltage shut down on my inverter only after 30/40 minutes at the end of the season. Usually 50% discharge runtime is about 2.5 hrs. I’ve not load tested them yet but based on age, I think it’s just time for new batteries In the spring. I also added a windless last season and I had to combine my batteries one time after running the windless a long time backing in to the beach. Another sign my start has also weakened some.
Current set up:
Optima Blue Top AGM Start
VmaxTank 200Ah AGM House
BEP Cluster battery switch.
ProMariner Pronautic 1220P hardwired charger. It does have a setting for the Lifepro4 Lithium.

I want to drop in a 230AH house and around a 100Ah start that are the newer Lithium LifePro4 type.
Will it work?
Mostly concerned with the engine charging the Lithium.
Thanks all,
JS

I am still lead acid but I bought a small lithium ion phosphate deep cycle this year. On some hot days from the dock I used it when stopped to run a couple 110 volt fans with a small inverter. Dakota Lithium has good articles on what motors they are approved to start.

Lithium batteries prefer lithium rated chargers, can use others but will never fully charge. When back to land or shore power can use the right charger to finish the charge.

This is an example of one mercury outboard approved.https://dakotalithium.com/product/dl-plus-12v-135ah-dual-purpose-1000cca-starter-car-truck-battery-plus-deep-cycle-performance/

One issue is delivering enough AMPS. They make a few sizes of dual use . Deep cycle-only say not for starting.

I use 2 lead acid deep cycles to start an IO, still.

Here is their group 31 dual purpose one, or go with smaller ones.

https://dakotalithium.com/product/dakota-lithium-277-ah-12v-lifepo4-deep-cycle-battery/
Lithiums charge faster so if they are fairly discharged they can heat up alternators. One way though more wiring is to set up a DC to DC charger and that also then gets the right charger for the lithium batteries. Or as said, use a normal charger output from the engine and finish with correct charging at the end of the day.

Here is their group 31 dual purpose one, or go with smaller ones.

https://dakotalithium.com/product/dakota-lithium-277-ah-12v-lifepo4-deep-cycle-battery/
Lithiums charge faster so if they are fairly discharged they can heat up alternators. One way though more wiring is to set up a DC to DC charger and that also then gets the right charger for the lithium batteries. Or as said, use a normal charger output from the engine and finish with correct charging at the end of the day.
Thanks for the replys. I’ve been told about the DC to Dc charger. I’m going to do some homework on that. Damaging the stater is my concern.

Back